U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 AM

47 posts, read 104,607 times

Advertisements

Hello Portlanders! I was wondering if you all would be able to steer me in the right direction. I am looking at relocating there in the next 4 months and am trying to obtain housing and such. I would like an area that is artsy, laid back and easy access to shops and restaurants, etc. I do plan on getting a job etc before I relocate, among other things. What I am trying to gather is possible neighborhoods for old charm or even new remodeled studios. I was looking in West End on the portpropmgmt website? Are they reputable? I gathered from different forums that races relations are good and tolerable so I will skip that. And if they aren't? Oh well, I will be coming anyway. All advice is welcomed. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 04:56 AM

1,918 posts, read 1,113,196 times
It sounds like you've thought this through pretty well, meaning you've probably already thought of this, but jic, any chance of visiting Portland to check it out live? Nothing beats being there. Another thought is to find a temp location for the first 1-3 months while you scope things out. Sometimes finding a temp location can be difficult, unless expense is not an object. Many apartments will not rent if they think you are short-term.

But it is a good thinking to get live opinions from folks living there!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,053 times
Portlanders are pretty split on which is more desirable: the West End or the East End. Both areas have their pros and cons and could be considered artsy and laid-back, but in terms of convenience, I would say the West End is closer to shops and restaurants in town, i.e. closer walking distance.

As for apartments, I have never rented from Port Property Management/PPM, but I have not heard good things about them. Two of my friends have mentioned bed bug infestations in their apartments a couple of years ago, and they stated that PPM insisted that the tenant pay for any extermination fees. Other than Kay's apartments (you will see a ** for her apartment listings on Craigslist-stay far away!), I haven't heard any negative comments regarding other property management companies here in Portland.

One other tip: I'm not sure what industry you are in employment-wise, but unless you are in healthcare or the restaurant industry, there aren't many jobs available, and the jobs that are available usually have 100+ applicants per listing, so I would make sure you have something set up either before you come or as soon as you get here.

I hope that helps!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:48 AM

894 posts, read 1,072,460 times
I've heard that from October to March it's much easier to get a "temporary rental" - because a lot of people have properties that they use/rent during the tourist season which are sitting empty once it gets cold.

These would probably be ideal for you to move in and then find a more permanent place once you are local and can actually go look at everything in person.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 AM

404 posts, read 695,791 times
FYI, IT Jobs are available in Portland as well, my company is hiring along with others I know. But it sounds like that's not a concern or question for the OP. Just apartments. I've also not heard good things about Port Property Management from co-workers. Most locals seem to use Craig's list as the prime source of finding rental housing. I did when I first moved here, it had the most options and the most pictures. That combined with Google earth or google street view can give you a good idea. Of course nothing is as good an an in person visit, but some times its just not possible.

OP- Feel free to Direct message me if you have a question about a certain street or area, if you can't visit...I'll do my best to give you an unbiased description.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:49 PM

234 posts, read 300,807 times
In Portland, Healthcare and IT are both fairly strong along with food services. Entry level jobs are mostly all temp to hire and unfortunately this is the case for a lot of higher level jobs in some fields as well. I work in IT myself.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:32 AM

47 posts, read 104,607 times
Thanks for all of the replies. I will definitely look while I am there visiting hopefully by/after the holidays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area