Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 04:41 PM

97 posts, read 189,723 times

Advertisements

Hi Mainers J

Is Portland area has many sunny days or it has the same grayand gummy weather like United Kingdom? I am asking because it called NewEngland and England definitely has not many sunny days (especially in the north).

How changeable the weather in Maine? For example, in Englandweather could change every 2 hours. It can be rain in the morning, sun at thelunch time and strong wind at the afternoon. Is it the same in Maine?

Thank you very much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
I've never been to the UK, but from what I know about it from friends who have lived there ... no, Maine is not nearly as gloomy as the UK on average. Maine weather is much more extreme than the UK.

We have 4 distinct seasons. Summers are warm to hot, and humidity is high, especially from about mid-July to late August. It rains enough that we rarely have to water the garden. Autumn is glorious. Warm days and cool nights, turning to actual cold by late October to early November. Winter (at least in Maine) is very cold, with lots of snow. Spring is probably the shortest season, when all the snow melts and the bugs come out.

But that's an average. Some years vary. Four years ago, it rained ALL summer long. Our tomatoes rotted in the ground. Our first winter in Maine, we got the first appreciable snow the last week of November and we got major snowstorm after major snowstorm after major snowstorm until February. The drifts from the plows were nearly 20 ft high in places. But last winter, we only had 4 or 5 good snowstorms. Locals tell me there have been years where they didn't get a good snow till mid-January.

There are big differences in overall climate. The UK is much farther north than Maine, so the UK has more hours of darkness in winter and more hours of light in summer. But we're also on opposite ends of the Gulf Stream, which moderates UK weather and causes extremes in New England.

If you're looking for a climate comparable to England, try the Pacific Northwest. It's like a big UK with mountains, earthquakes, crippling traffic, high crime, and yuppies trying to get their coffee order straight.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM

97 posts, read 189,723 times
Mark, thanks for your reply. No, I want to avoid anything similar to UK. I don't like gloomy weather.
Maine sounds as a much better place.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:06 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
By the way: The reason it was coined "New England" wasn't because of climactic or geographic similarities. It was because most of the dominant settlers of the region were English back in the 1600s. The French influx came later, especially in Maine. In fact, in northern Maine, lots of folks grew up speaking French as their primary language. Even today, you can go up to Fort Kent, drop in for a coffee, and nearly everyone in the shop will be speaking French.

As for sudden changes in the weather, it certainly happens, but I wouldn't call it common. It's certainly more common along the coast. Spring time probably has the most variance. Four years ago, we still had snow on the ground in February, but by mid-March, we had 3 straight days of intense summer heat, then it cooled off again. That's certainly not typical, but it can happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area