Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has cannabis been made legalized in Portland, ME by Question 1?
YES - Light up my friend 4 40.00%
NO - The Drug War continues 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:03 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

I believe that we have already spent many Millions of dollars for over 50 years to research the effects of marijuana.

Calling for more research seems misplaced. What exactly needs to be researched?

We have spent decades 'researching' to find some negative component or negative effect that marijuana has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 03:22 PM

17 posts, read 20,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I believe that we have already spent many Millions of dollars for over 50 years to research the effects of marijuana.

We have spent decades 'researching' to find some negative component or negative effect that marijuana has.
Research how it affects specific populations and conditions. The psychoactive component of THC has already been researched. Stating "To find some negative" is not constructive because when researching any issue trying to find a negative effect is just trying to discount the issue. When doing research one needs to keep an open mind at all possible effects and further an understanding with the results.

Issues such as the effects on colon cancer and skin cancer. Questions such as "Does a person's pain tolerance play a role in utilizing marijuana as a coping tool for pain?" Specifics are important to help craft a fuller understanding on the effects. I'm in the psychology and mental health industry so I would inquire questions like "What percentage of marijuana users use it for medical vs relaxation?" or in a qualitative study "Why do users marijuana seek it out for relaxation rather than using non substances for relaxation?"

The medical professional have to approach the research from a biological perspective. Enjoy

Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 PM

147 posts, read 280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyMan1234 View Post
Research how it affects specific populations and conditions. The psychoactive component of THC has already been researched. Stating "To find some negative" is not constructive because when researching any issue trying to find a negative effect is just trying to discount the issue. When doing research one needs to keep an open mind at all possible effects and further an understanding with the results.

Issues such as the effects on colon cancer and skin cancer. Questions such as "Does a person's pain tolerance play a role in utilizing marijuana as a coping tool for pain?" Specifics are important to help craft a fuller understanding on the effects. I'm in the psychology and mental health industry so I would inquire questions like "What percentage of marijuana users use it for medical vs relaxation?" or in a qualitative study "Why do users marijuana seek it out for relaxation rather than using non substances for relaxation?"

The medical professional have to approach the research from a biological perspective. Enjoy
do you think it'll be legalized in Arizona in 2014?

Old 11-24-2013, 06:47 AM

17 posts, read 20,036 times
"do you think it'll be legalized in Arizona in 2014?"

It has already been legalized in Arizona to some level but conflicts in policy and how users respect the law is another issue. Some states have what is considered medical marijuana laws that allow specific users to carry an id card that allows them to get a prescription from their doctor. Conflicts that arises is who cultivates it, sells it, how much is considered appropriate, and what part of the plant is used for medical purposes. These types of questions are never fully answered from a scientific perspective because at the federal level testing it on populations for certain medical conditions is not allowed.

Another conflict that arises is how much is one allowed to carry for medical purposes because at a different level it is illegal. Criminal law comes into conflict with medical marijuana law so law enforcement gets mixed up and people complain being arrested for their medical marijuana. In simple terms it becomes a legal mess because you got people coming from a "Decriminalize marijuana" and "Allow medical marijuana" and "It's our right to smoke" and "It's a natural plant" and "The effects are devastating" etc etc. Many people's ideals stem from anecdotal evidence which is why I mentioned that it needs to be studied thoroughly and not just the THC factor.

One issue with Arizona is people who abuse their medical marijuana ID cards to just get some and sell it on a street corner. This raises numerous questions such as "Are medical professionals being lax in their prescriptions" or "Can individuals be trusted to use marijuana in a safe manner not exposing others to the smoke" or "For this patient is smoking marijuana truly relieving pain or is he/she just wanting to get high?" It is not a simple yes/no answer to these types of questions, which is why a thoroughly crafted law and policy is required. Just like a narcotic used in the medical profession there are numerous policies, checks and balances, and controls in place to help minimize the tendency to abuse it.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:38 PM

565 posts, read 935,391 times
Quote:

huh? there has been very little actual research here into the effects of cannabis, as its a schedule I drug. All the research has been overseas.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:06 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
huh? there has been very little actual research here into the effects of cannabis, as its a schedule I drug. All the research has been overseas.
I seem to recall that in the 70s there were a lot of government programs in school telling us about all of the research proving how marijuana was addictive. Dope leads to moral corruption, it was a gateway to heroin. Nearly everyone who touched it immediately began shooting heroin.

There’s Been Over 20,000 Studies On Marijuana; What Is It That Scientists ‘Do Not Yet Know?’ | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Old 11-25-2013, 07:20 AM

565 posts, read 935,391 times
Quote:
I seem to recall that in the 70s there were a lot of government programs in school telling us about all of the research proving how marijuana was addictive. Dope leads to moral corruption, it was a gateway to heroin. Nearly everyone who touched it immediately began shooting heroin.

There’s Been Over 20,000 Studies On Marijuana; What Is It That Scientists ‘Do Not Yet Know?’ | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform
articles does not equal studies.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Anybody know where I can find good prices on flights from JFK to Portland?

Old 11-30-2013, 04:07 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
For what I know Maine law enforcement enforce the "States" criminal/civil code... its been a while but 17a?? Local ordinances generally take a back seat unless in which most cases there is a nuisance issue (think trash complaints ect) Cops are generally not well versed in the local ordinances and ordinances are NOT laws per se and are difficult to "enforce". I can't see how ANY local vote has any effect on 17a and an officers responsibility or ability to enforce such violations whether civil or criminal. I view this as nothing more than a poll vote..

I believe right now possession of any amount less than 2.6 oz is a civil violation which means NO jail time but a fine.

believe me, I am all for the ending of this so called war on drugs and the billions wasted on it. But votes like this are a waste of time and confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area