U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has cannabis been made legalized in Portland, ME by Question 1?
YES - Light up my friend 4 40.00%
NO - The Drug War continues 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,779,850 times

Advertisements

*packs up and moves to portland*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 PM

147 posts, read 238,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
*packs up and moves to portland*
take me with you.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 AM

17,372 posts, read 23,410,720 times
Not really: Portland police chief, Maine attorney general say Portland pot legalization vote won

Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 AM

557 posts, read 745,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Just as it is in California, there may not be local laws against it. But there are still federal laws against it.

PDs often receive federal subsidies. If they expect to continue receiving federal subsidies than they need to enforce federal laws.

One of my brothers as a police office in California. When any federal agent goes into that PD, and says for them to go on a dope raid, they go.
The problem is..... things that were not written into the constitution was to be left for the states to decide. The fed has used the interstate commerce clause to say any MJ commerce they have jurisdiction over.

It's Not the way it was meant to me. Our federal gov. was supposed to have limited power. Seems to be the exact opposite of the way it is today.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,930,502 times
The lawyer I work for says it's purely symbolic. Portland has to abide by state and federal laws, as Sub says.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:07 AM

109 posts, read 174,394 times
Portland police say they will uphold State Law. So the answer is NO! The fines are steep for an ounce or more in Maine and you can bet this will be a revenue enhancing target!
Good luck to those who flaunt their weed in public!

Old 11-17-2013, 03:22 AM

83 posts, read 231,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
Portland police say they will uphold State Law. So the answer is NO! The fines are steep for an ounce or more in Maine and you can bet this will be a revenue enhancing target!
Good luck to those who flaunt their weed in public!
Maine is so liberal in terms of cannabis that once Mainers get around to it, they will obviously legalize it.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:01 AM

109 posts, read 174,394 times
In the mean time, if you are stopped by police with it in your car you will get the full gestapo treatment! State police control I-95 and the TPK even in Portland... and they will uphold State law.

It may become legal state-wide someday, just don't go around 'flashing a bag' thinking you are good to go!

Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 AM

83 posts, read 231,382 times
I think for New England, the only state that has a Colorado/Washington/California attitude towards weed is Vermont. Gotta love VT

Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 PM

17 posts, read 18,155 times
Marijuana is not as glorified as many people make it out to be nor is it as dangerous as some portray it. I hope it stays illegal for sometime until there is a good system worked out in making it controlled production and uses. THC is the psychoactive component of marijuana that gets most attention but there are numerous chemicals within the plant itself which are not so helpful but can become very harmful.

Uses of marijuana need to be discussed. An example is a 14 year old using it for recreational purposes vs a 28 yr old using for recreational purposes. It has been shown that marijuana has severe negative effects on adolescents and young individuals in their development. For the individual who is 28 it could potential only have the temporary effect of just getting the person "high". Same thing goes for a person who has cancer and using it for pain relief. In this situation I see no issue on prescribing it for medical uses.

For those who want an all out complete free to choose marijuana or not, I would hope no law passes of that type. Incarcerating those for having marijuana I feel is just too harsh and should not happen. I have worked with individuals who showed marijuana had severe negative effects on them and others where marijuana did nothing. Reasonable research and full understanding of the plant should be the first step.

Another issue I would have with marijuana is why people need it and for what purposes? It can be harmless to some but others it can devastate them. I have seen many who used marijuana to just feel good because they were depressed or suffered a trauma. Once they started smoking they became dependent on it for their feeling of good. Again it comes down to each individual is different and how they are affected by it can vary. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area