Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 AM

506 posts, read 684,052 times

Advertisements

I was stuck in that mess last night for almost 2 hours. I feel bad for the woman that lost her life and those that were injured but.........it took WAY too long for them to re-open the Southbound lanes (at least 1!). Add to that incorrect reports that one lane was open (MDOT and State Police need to get a clue and stop providing incorrect info to the media!!!). I assume that the victims were removed within the first 30-60 minutes of the accident........did it take 2+ hours to move the vehicles????:roll eyes:

Which brings me to.........something needs to be done with 295 through Portland. Too many people assume that speeding is causing all of these accidents when that is only part of the problem. Supposedly this one was started by someone actually slowing down. There are way too many exits, too many confusing and short merges, and too much traffic to keep this road status quo. I think that 295 has gone from being a throughway to being more of a surface street for local traffic. It's only going to get worse until something is done. Either widen the road to 3 lanes in each direction to handle the entering and exiting traffic.......or close some of the ramps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:56 AM

109 posts, read 198,858 times
Why does everyone else have to fix what you see as a problem? Get over it . . . or move! I hear Mass is nice!!!

Old 11-15-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
Why does everyone else have to fix what you see as a problem? Get over it . . . or move! I hear Mass is nice!!!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 AM

So in your opinion, someone slowing down was the PROBLEM?
As for the 2 hour back up, have you any idea that there is always an investigation after an accident? That takes time!
And [as we all know] the media makes up what they want. Can't blame the police for that.
You assume... the victims were removed in 30-60 minutes... it's not so easy cutting a car away from a human without creating a spark which could cause a fire, kill someone, and delay your pizza run quite a bit longer!

Personally I think people need to SLOW DOWN! I'd like to see all major roads into Maine one lane dirt surface roads and five lanes going south. You somehow feel ENTITLED to a perfectly safe road going exactly where you need to go. Ever hear the phrase "driving is a privilege, not a right"?
Every time I am down that way I feel like I'm involved in a nascar race, and people are just in a hurry to DIE!

Slow down for Christ's sake, this is MAINE!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
So in your opinion, someone slowing down was the PROBLEM?
As for the 2 hour back up, have you any idea that there is always an investigation after an accident? That takes time!
And [as we all know] the media makes up what they want. Can't blame the police for that.
You assume... the victims were removed in 30-60 minutes... it's not so easy cutting a car away from a human without creating a spark which could cause a fire, kill someone, and delay your pizza run quite a bit longer!

Personally I think people need to SLOW DOWN! I'd like to see all major roads into Maine one lane dirt surface roads and five lanes going south. You somehow feel ENTITLED to a perfectly safe road going exactly where you need to go. Ever hear the phrase "driving is a privilege, not a right"?
Every time I am down that way I feel like I'm involved in a nascar race, and people are just in a hurry to DIE!

Slow down for Christ's sake, this is MAINE!
Calm down......and stop pretending that you know me and what I was doing on 295.......and stop assuming that I am from out-of-state......and stop assuming that people speeding are the ones causing all of the accidents on a badly designed highway through the biggest city in Maine.........and stop being an arse.

YOU are the one acting like an arrogant entitled jerk. Baby boomer maybe?

And by the way........the State Police in Gray gave me inaccurate and what turned out to be false info when i called them while sitting there in the Southbound lane. Also talked to the PPH reporter who said that he called them twice and they hung up on him. Great way to deal with a major traffic jam and decimation of public information. Hopefully, we'll never have to count on them for a REAL major disaster.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:44 PM

10,751 posts, read 23,828,256 times
I agree highways in New England are very outdated and poorly designed. The ramps are tight, no room to merge, they are even worse in Mass and Connecticut. Old cranks will always be set in there ways and are resistant to change, just ignore them. If they can widen 95 to three lanes from York to South Portland, then it shouldn't be a problem to extend that to 295 going through Portland, especially when it boils down to safety.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:50 AM

You both just proved my point...
This is Maine, "the way life should be!" Do yourselves a favor and slow down.
If your car feels like it is about to tip over, it's not the ramps fault... YOU'RE GOING TOO FAST!
"No room to merge"? Yeah, like people actually look over their shoulder when they pass a MERGE sign. I LOVE to hold MY LINE when idiots refuse to look! (then lay on the horn & give em the finger)

caphillsea, cough up a few hundred million and I sure Maine D.O.T. will be happy to spend it.

iheartmaine, the Maine State police OWE you nothing and it's not like the dispatcher in Gray could see what was happening in Portland. ha ha ha Hopefully you can experience first hand what the MSP can do for you sometime soon! You'll either love them or hate them, but you sure won't like them much if you display the attitude I've seen here!

Someone DIED but it's all about you, eh? Nice... REAL NICE!

Last edited by MadJack; 11-20-2013 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: ...cause someone had to say it.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:34 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Reason: ...cause someone had to say it.

People die every day for millions of reasons.

To the OP: I'd just ignore MadJack. Guessing he's one of the old guard mainers. Once they all die off, Maine might be able to move forward.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
[/i]People die every day for millions of reasons.

To the OP: I'd just ignore MadJack. Guessing he's one of the old guard mainers. Once they all die off, Maine might be able to move forward.
Amen! Time is on our side.....not theirs.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:25 PM

55 posts, read 171,723 times
Default Arrogant Baby Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post

YOU are the one acting like an arrogant entitled jerk. Baby boomer boomer?
Hey, I'm a Baby Boomer- how did I get targeted in all this?

Also, I don't think I am entitled or arrogant. Don't stereotype people- the GEICO Caveman agrees with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area