U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 7,266 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

We are moving from Boston to Portland or Freeport. (Job in Freeport for hubby, hopes I'll find work in Portland) I'd like to stay in the city because I like the city vibe, but want to be in a kid friendly place.

I am trying to get a sense of the Deering neighborhood. We've seen some houses that I like, but was upset to find the Fred P. Hall school got a failing grade from the ME state ranking. We don't need the BEST school in the country, but a quality school with a strong community is really important to me. Right now, we are spoiled to be able to walk to school and the library, and am hoping to find a similar community in Portland. (All the new construction subdivisions don't feel homey. I want to be in an established area where I am allowed to paint my house any color. )

Currently our kids are in an urban school that has it's own share of challenges, but also offers lots of opportunity. On the flip side, I have been to WAY more "school improvement meetings" than I would like. Does anyone have any feedback on Deering High, Longfellow or Lyseth? Does Portland offer school choice?

Everyone raves about the Portland schools, but when you look at the data, there are some schools that are having some serious issues. HELP???

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 7,534 times
Default any answers to this one?

i'm just responding to try and generate some action on this question. We are also a young family considering a move from a fantastic Brooklyn neighborhood and would prefer a solid, community-oriented neighborhood in Portland with good schools and historic houses to something more suburban/mcmansion-- even if it means the schools are *slightly* lesser in reputation. So for instance I am less interested in Falmouth, where I see phenomenal schools but no town center and lots of new housing. Cape E seems a little bit more our speed-- but I am really interested in quality of life and schools in an area like Deering (or even Back Cove or S. Portland?).

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2013, 06:18 PM

41,494 posts, read 19,769,892 times
If private school is an option......Breakwater School...is a excellent alternative. My grand daughter goes there and I am very impressed with its philosophy and the way it nurtures the students and supports their natural curiosity and harnesses it for learning. http://www.breakwaterschool.org/

Old 02-03-2014, 11:48 AM

2,147 posts, read 4,591,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerGrass76 View Post
i'm just responding to try and generate some action on this question. We are also a young family considering a move from a fantastic Brooklyn neighborhood and would prefer a solid, community-oriented neighborhood in Portland with good schools and historic houses to something more suburban/mcmansion-- even if it means the schools are *slightly* lesser in reputation. So for instance I am less interested in Falmouth, where I see phenomenal schools but no town center and lots of new housing. Cape E seems a little bit more our speed-- but I am really interested in quality of life and schools in an area like Deering (or even Back Cove or S. Portland?).

Thanks!
The towns around portland often offer historic homes and community feel, or rural feel [even if they are smaller than portland]. It's an area with more than the typical two options: Urban with character or sterile suburbia. Many of the towns around portland are just as historic as the city itself, as far as historical importance, age of architecture, etc. And with highly regarded schools. Though, if you want to stay in more of a city neighborhood feel but not too urban, portland is your option. I hear South Portland also has some great areas, amenities and good school options. Anyway, if Cape E is more your speed, the schools are fantatstic and it's quite close to portland. Easy! (:

Old 02-08-2014, 06:55 PM

177 posts, read 373,361 times
If you like the Cape and can find housing in that tight market, go and be happy. South Portland is also nice, but you won't get much land there, and houses are packed into each other. Gorham is also really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area