U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 06:00 PM

55 posts, read 144,292 times

Advertisements

Just curious what the approximate cost of heating oil is, per year, for say a 1,000 square foot home.
I realize that a gallon of heating oil can very greatly annually, but a cost range estimate is what I'm looking for.
Also, I am guessing homes in Aroostook County would use more than a home in southern Maine, but maybe the difference is not considerable.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 PM

321 posts, read 380,465 times
I'm sure some folks will chime in, but you may have more luck in the more broadly-focused Maine forum. I think that most of the Aroostook County folks hang around there.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 PM

31,972 posts, read 52,111,583 times
I am surprised that nobody has chimed in.

I am only in Penobscot County [just a bit North of Bangor] and not Aroostook County. But here we go through 3 1/2 cords of firewood each winter to heat a 2400 sq ft house.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:30 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,660,848 times
You really need to post this in the Maine forum.

As for your question, the cost is going to vary widely depending on the house, its location, and what the occupants can tolerate. A tightly built, well-insulated home with a southerly exposure in a location sheltered from the wind will cost far less to heat than a 1900-era farmhouse with no insulation in the walls and only 6 inches of fiberglass in the attic sitting in the middle of an old potato field exposed to the north wind. Figure anywhere from 300 to 900 gallons, depending. Heating oil right now runs $3.40 to $3.65 a gallon, but it usually goes up some in winter.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I didn't realize I posted it under Portland. I'll have to leave it here though as I don't Know how to move the post or if I even can. If a moderator can move this over to the general Maine forum that would be great.
In the meantime, Coaster gave me a pretty good idea as to cost, although 300 to 900 gallons is a big variable. Probably a small well insulated house would be on the lower side and a 1900-era farmhouse would put you on the high end.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 35,452,398 times
There is a TON of variables that will determine what the heating costs are. All oil heat? Propane? Wood? Combination of a couple heating types? New construction? Old Home? How much Insulation? How warm do you keep the house... 62 or 65 or 68 or 72 degrees? New windows and doors? old style windows and doors? What direction does the main part of the house face? What percentage of the house side are windows? How old is the furnace/boiler? What is the efficiency of the furnace/boiler? Do you turn down the heat at night? Is there somebody at home all day or is the house empty and everybody is at work and/or school?

That is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to heating a house and it is imposable to even come close to guessing the cost to heat a place without at least most of those answered. Two otherwise identical houses sitting side by side can have vastly different heating costs depending on the temp the homeowners keep each place at, and/or how much they are home. Our house in Washburn (kind of between Presque Isle and Caribou) went from almost 800 gallons of oil a season to 650 gallons after we installed a new furnace. Some years it was higher, some years lower due to outside temps, those are the averages. It was an older house built in 1927 and about 1800 sq/ft. For being an older home it was TIGHT, there were many days when it was howling winds outside and we never knew it until we looked out the window and the snow was blowing by sideways.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:40 AM

Your points are about insulation and fuel sources is well noted Byland.
It's amazing how much oil and new furnace saved you in Washburn. I would imagine yearly maintenance would be more critical too, to make sure your furnace is operating at maximum efficiency.
Thanks for the information.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 AM

6,934 posts, read 4,686,836 times
I think an average home, like the one you describe, with a well-functioning furnace, would run you about $1,500-2,000 a year. With oil priced where it is now.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:25 PM

Thank you maineguy8888.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area