Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,911 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
my fiance and I are wishing to move as soon as I finish up nursing school. We want to move somewhere that has lots of snow and mild-moderate summers. After lots of research we've narrowed it down to Portland or Buffalo. What would you recommend? Our current town is about 150,000 (woulnd't mind big just not Chicago size), we are both fairly liberal but not really too political about it, we love the outdoors, hiking, etc., jobs aren't really a factor since I'll be an RN. Looking for friendly people, I don't mind reaching out, I'm from the Midwest so

any recommendations would be great thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:03 AM

973 posts, read 2,368,115 times
I vote for Portland. It's everything you describe. Can't think what mountains would be near Buffalo that would compare to those within an hour of Portland. More importantly, in Portland you will soon wonder how you've ever got by without an ocean nearby. Buffalo has the lakes, but no comparison. That's too industrial a shoreline. Temperatures will be more moderate both in winter and summer in Portland because of the ocean. Throw in Boston being a short train ride away and there's no comparison in my eyes.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:19 PM

234 posts, read 358,026 times
Well given the choice between a dangerous decayed heap of a city and one of the most livable cities in the country, I'd choose Portland.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:35 AM

22,846 posts, read 28,088,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smansaxx3 View Post
Hello all,
my fiance and I are wishing to move as soon as I finish up nursing school. We want to move somewhere that has lots of snow and mild-moderate summers. After lots of research we've narrowed it down to Portland or Buffalo. What would you recommend? Our current town is about 150,000 (woulnd't mind big just not Chicago size), we are both fairly liberal but not really too political about it, we love the outdoors, hiking, etc., jobs aren't really a factor since I'll be an RN. Looking for friendly people, I don't mind reaching out, I'm from the Midwest so

any recommendations would be great thanks
Well, I've never been to Buffalo, but Portland has all of that and more. In Portland, you'll have easy access to both the ocean and mountains, and you're within a quick train ride of Boston, one of the best metropolitan areas on the East Coast.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:45 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,696,633 times
Portland in my honest opinion has it all over Buffalo. Smaller but more livable metropolitan area with all of the positives and much less the negatives mainly less crime. My suggestion would be to visit and spend some time at both places. I can't imagine Portland would disappoint. good luck

Old 12-16-2013, 06:29 PM

506 posts, read 679,816 times
Don't mean to sound snarky.......but this is like comparing chocolate milk to liver juice.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,542,950 times
Portland has a better chance at Nor'Easters, but at least the snow is virtually never ocean effect (lake effect).

I love Portland for the times I've visited and stayed overnight there. I've also lived in York County twice before. I can't speak for Buffalo as I've never been there (Cooperstown and the Baseball H.O.F. is still a long ways away!) My twin brother has been to Buffalo proper but that was around 1990 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area