U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM

13 posts, read 17,338 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are planning a move to Portland in April. We're both restauranteurs and are interested in opening up something smaller - think bistro/cafe. Or, if the market is right, a food truck/cart.

What is the locally-run food scene like? Have they been pretty successful upon opening, or is that just not really wanted/needed? We're coming from Austin where the food scene is amazing - super cut-throat, but still a huge community. What are the mobile food establishments like?

Also, what does everyone love and hate about Portland? Which neighborhoods would you recommend for a younger professional couple (we LOVE downtown apartments we've seen so far - open, wooden floors, white and clean, etc). How bike-friendly is the city, the state - are there established bike lanes/trails, what is terrain like?

Give me the lowdown!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 PM

40,162 posts, read 19,585,643 times
There was an article in the Portland paper today about how the prices to rent or lease a space for a new restaurant was getting to be prohibitive in Portland.....and that soon the chef owned corporations would squeeze out the new start ups and close off the opportunity that new restaurants had found in Portland's old port. Portland is a foodie town .... but you may have to move out to get a chance as a start up. We did enjoy a restaurant in Westbrook and another in Saco.....less trendy but easily commutable, if the offering was worthwhile.

We have moved out of the area ... but I still read the Portland paper everyday....and it sounds as if the laws and attitudes toward food trucks has been more and more supportive.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 AM

6,144 posts, read 11,849,023 times
This place looks fantastic. It had its soft opening a few days ago. Local food is very important to a lot of folks these days.

Vinland Restaurant In Portland, Maine Takes 'Local' To A New Level

Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,228,229 times
As stated Portland is a definitely a foodie town. There are already some successful food trucks and I can imagine you might even try and call one of them and ask them directly. Rent is subjective and left to free market it is what it is.. Though I am surprised at the sheer amount of GOOD restaurant's around here with it being a smaller city. If it was me, and I owned a small café at one time, I would look to find some kind of mixed used building with rentals on top and commercial space below. Live and work their build your business ect.. You are always better at owning the property then just leasing it but for obvious reasons it isn't always easy to find one that you can afford. Location is important parking might be more important but if your food is great!?! people will come.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,929,889 times
There are a lot of really great places to eat in Portland. You would be among your peers. Locally-sourced seafood is a chef's nirvana, and organic produce, herbs and spices are all top-drawer.

You can do really well in P-land, or you can fail, just like anyplace. Parking can be a tedious ordeal, turning off a lot of potential patrons on First Fridays, that type thing. (see my thread on that). Food trucks near/on the campuses or beaches -- USM, UNE, UMaine Saco -- could do really well. There are just not that many around.

Keep us apprised. I'm always up for finding a new eatery!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM

13 posts, read 17,338 times
Thanks for all the responses! It's so great seeing so many encouraging words. I have a couple more things I'd like to ask:

What sort of cuisine is the general community looking for? Our passions for different regions varies greatly and we're excited to bring things that are wanted, but just not there yet. For example, how well, despite the cold seasons, would a smoothie/raw food/health food place, for a really quick grab-and-go type meal do? Or how about an authentic Texas BBQ joint (we both grew up in Texas)?

How often do people go out during the winter? Would it be more reasonable to keep business limited in the midst of, or do you people want to eat?!

Again, thanks for the responses and look forward to more!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 AM

6,144 posts, read 11,849,023 times
My daughter is getting married in the fall. They passed on a traditional menu to have barbecue.

We go out to eat more in the winter than in summer. We're cooking out, at camp or in the boat some where when the weather is warm. There are more tourists around in the summer. We're happy to wait til the waiting time is shorter.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM

843 posts, read 1,005,804 times
My wife and I are retiring this summer and moving from Austin, Texas to Portland. We've been on several househunting trips in the past year and one thing we noticed was that the only BBQ places appeared to be chain restaurants. I'm too old (and lazy) to consider it, but I thought that a true BBQ restaurant would be a great idea. You might have to think about expanding to include Carolina, Memphis, and/or Kansas City variations because not all Mainers might like Texas BBQ (although that would be hard to understand). We should be there in August so let us know if you have a restaurant or food truck. We would love to try it.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 AM

234 posts, read 300,753 times
Salvage BBQ - Portland
Buck's Naked BBQ - Portland
Elsmere BBQ and Wood Grill - South Portland

Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,228,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raechul View Post
Thanks for all the responses! It's so great seeing so many encouraging words. I have a couple more things I'd like to ask:

What sort of cuisine is the general community looking for? Our passions for different regions varies greatly and we're excited to bring things that are wanted, but just not there yet. For example, how well, despite the cold seasons, would a smoothie/raw food/health food place, for a really quick grab-and-go type meal do? Or how about an authentic Texas BBQ joint (we both grew up in Texas)?

How often do people go out during the winter? Would it be more reasonable to keep business limited in the midst of, or do you people want to eat?!

Again, thanks for the responses and look forward to more!
If your food is good people will come. I think there may be trends and stuff but really locally grown and harvested products sell well.

Send me a DM when your ready to come here and look around. I might have a few ideas to throw at you.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area