Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,368 times

Advertisements

Hello Maine!

I'm a 20 year old guy from Pennsylvania and I'm going to be spending a day by myself in Portland next weekend, and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what I should do while I'm there?
I'm traveling with a group, however I won't be spending the day with them as I will be by far the youngest person on the trip lol. We are coming for the Portland Pirates game on Saturday. So, I'll have something to do that night but I can use some advice for during the day.

Obviously the nightlife scene is out (ONE more year lol) but I am more of a sightseer anyway. I like traveling and exploring. I know I want to see the lighthouse, since I like visiting lighthouses (yes I know that's strange haha). But I could use a few more tips. Where's a good place to grab quick lunch where I won't be out of place eating alone? Also, I'll be staying downtown, are there any areas I should avoid at night? I'm a pretty social person but I actually like traveling and especially sightseeing alone, but anyway, I guess I'd prefer the suggestions are something where I won't be extremely obviously out of place doing it alone.

Any advice/suggestions would be awesome! Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:05 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,552,921 times
Um...you guys do know that the Pirates' "home" games this season are being played at the Colisee in Lewiston...right?

Look here for more information: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cumbe...22085967811843

Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,368 times
Well it's a bus trip, so I'm going where the bus takes me, which I'm assuming will be Lewiston... hopefully!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,552,921 times
It's nearly an hour north from Portland up I-95/Maine Turnpike. The building is quite small, too. I've only passed through the city of Lewiston once, but haven't been to the arena in question.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 AM

565 posts, read 931,639 times
Wow you guys are coming all the way from PA for a minor league hockey game? Are the Pirates that great?

Wife and I were talking about going to one of the games this weekend, however we are not really big sports fans, just trying to find something new to do for reasonable cost.

This time of year is not ideal for walking around sightseeing. If you are staying in Portland, you could go bowling or play pool. Lewiston live music scene seems to be growing a bit, pretty sure its 18+ but not positive. Check out Jambase.com for more info.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:48 AM

893 posts, read 1,204,742 times
Yeah, you might want to confirm whether or not you are even going to be in Potrland first.

As someone said, the team is currently playing in Lewiston because the arena in Portland is being renovated.

Lewiston is not close to Portland, it is up by Augusta. It would be similar to someone asking "What is there to do in Pittsburgh, I'm going to a Youngstown State game"... you would be like

(The point is: Lewiston is about as far from Portland as Youngstown is from Pittsburgh)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area