Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 11,084 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm moving to Portland in the next couple of weeks and am 10 weeks pregnant, thus far with a seemingly normal pregnancy. Does anyone have any recommendations (or warnings) about any obstetricians or obstetric practices/ centers in Portland? A friend w/ a 2 yr old told me that she'd originally preferred Mercy Hospital but that Maine Med has upgraded their facilities and that she thinks they're also better equipped to deal with high risk situations should they arise. Unfortunately her OB is retired. Does one hospital have a better reputation than the other? I do prefer a doctor rather than a midwife. Any opinions about doctors or practices/ hospitals where I might best to go for quality care would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Sherri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,729,378 times
Well back when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth ( 15 and 17 years ago), I chose Mercy Hospital and never regretted it!

Awesome care, wonderful nurses and equipped for all sorts of deliveries. What I liked best was the fact you give birth in your room, recoup and remain in the same room!

I had the wonderful Dr Greene, who reminded me of the Professor in Back to the Future! He has since moved to CT.

Pleas take the time and tour both facilities. It helps to be comfortable and at ease during this most exciting stage of life

Old 06-18-2008, 09:53 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,002,402 times
I highly recommend Charlotte Kassab at Generations. (I don't live in Maine any more, and I missed her during my last pregnancy) I also had a good experience at Mercy. Also, if there is a need for high-needs NICU, Maine Med is very close by.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:30 AM

18 posts, read 44,989 times
Default OB/Birthing

I have heard great things about Generations as well. I delivered twice at Maine Med- it was neccesary for me because of my personal medical history ( I have a congentital heart condition) I personally use coastal womens healthcare and I see Cecelia Caldwell. I think she is awesome. My only complaint about the practice is that it is very large- currently about 8 or 9 docs plus a CNM, so come delivery time there is a good chance that you will not get your own doc or even one you have met before. The first time I got someone who did not follow my birth plan at all, the second time I got my own doc which felt like winning the lottery.

The remodel at Maine Med has been in the works for the past 5+ years, I remember the nurse manager talking to me about it at my first delivery saying it was 3 years away from being done. 4.5 years later they had just broken ground for it. It will be open this fall though so deifinitely check it out. Both times my care there was outstanding. The rooms were nothing special though. The new birth center should be a different story. I can't wait to see it. I don't plan on haviong any more children, so unless I get the shock of my life I will probably only experience it as a visitor

Old 06-19-2008, 12:17 PM

177 posts, read 408,048 times
May i ask why you prefer an OB over a midwife? C-Section rates are skyrocketing despite the increased risks to mother and baby. It's major surgery. and just not needed as much as doctors would like you to believe. Midwifery care will help you avoid unneeded doctor interventions so you can have the safest delivery possible. I've heard good things about Back Cove Midwives in Portland.

If you haven't yet seen "The Business of Being Born", i highly recommend it. you can netflix it.

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you and congrats!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:35 PM

387 posts, read 605,459 times
If the birthing unit is ANYTHING like the care I recieved (herniated disc between L4-L5), and the compassion is the same as well, DEFINATELY go to Maine Medical Center. They will take GREAT care of you there - they did to me. I actually liked my stay there, and if you're lucky, you can even catch a Sea Dogs game (I had a very good view of Hadlock Field from my rooms' window). They won the game I watched, GO DOGS! Unfortunately I didn't catch the fireworks display after, I fell asleep, heh

but DEFINATELY go to Maine Med. It'll most likely change your view on hospitals if the care in the birthing unit is like the care I recieved.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,729,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
May i ask why you prefer an OB over a midwife? C-Section rates are skyrocketing despite the increased risks to mother and baby. It's major surgery. and just not needed as much as doctors would like you to believe. Midwifery care will help you avoid unneeded doctor interventions so you can have the safest delivery possible. I've heard good things about Back Cove Midwives in Portland.
Excellent point! As long as you have no chronic medical conditions or genetic issues, a midwife is the way to go!

Maine has many great midwives, plus you give birth in the comfort and privacy of your own home.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 11,084 times
Smile Thanks for the input!

Thank you all for your very useful feedback! I’m delayed responding because I thought city-data would let me know as responses came in but just let me know now that there are responses waiting, to my pleasant surprise!

I think I’m leaning toward using Maine Med both since they’re more equipped to deal with high-risk situations (despite the fact that my pregnancy is normal thus far) and because the new birthing facility supposedly due in September sounds intriguing. Though Moughie I’m sure if I get an opportunity touring both would be best! Thanks, Draconiator, for the positive review of Maine Med.

Thank you Jac and Rogersparkjen for your feedback about Generations, since a good number of the MaineMed attendings are part of that practice but a friend of mine had told me very non-specific negative comments that she’d gotten from friends who’d used them – obviously those are not uniform experiences there. It’s also very interesting to know that with at least some larger practices the likelihood of getting one’s own doctors plummets, which hadn’t occurred to me.

Rossco17, thanks for the netflix tip which I will be renting! As for midwives, I guess my ideal would be to have a doctor who can offer me some reassurance that they wouldn’t C-section unless need really be and who has some knowledge of any techniques midwives might employ (my aunt just told me to ask whether the dr. uses some massage techniques based in midwifery to avoid epesiotomy). I have had laparoscopic surgery for fibroids and was told that the incisions were superficial enough that I ought to be able to birth naturally, but have also had some other vague pelvic issues and just think it’s likely safest to stick w/ a hospital birth and perhaps with a doctor. I guess I’m somewhat concerned with how readily a doctor might be available as backup in the event of something a midwife might not know how to handle, but I did also read other good things about Back Cove Midwives and will think further on that.

Again, thank you all so much for the your thoughtful responses! If you have any further thoughts please feel very welcome to share them and I’ll also respond asap given possible sporadic internet access associated with my move!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 AM

177 posts, read 408,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrin View Post
Rossco17, thanks for the netflix tip which I will be renting! As for midwives, I guess my ideal would be to have a doctor who can offer me some reassurance that they wouldn’t C-section unless need really be and who has some knowledge of any techniques midwives might employ (my aunt just told me to ask whether the dr. uses some massage techniques based in midwifery to avoid epesiotomy). I have had laparoscopic surgery for fibroids and was told that the incisions were superficial enough that I ought to be able to birth naturally, but have also had some other vague pelvic issues and just think it’s likely safest to stick w/ a hospital birth and perhaps with a doctor. I guess I’m somewhat concerned with how readily a doctor might be available as backup in the event of something a midwife might not know how to handle, but I did also read other good things about Back Cove Midwives and will think further on that.
Hi Sherrin, I urge to watch that movie and also schedule an appointment to talk to a midwife, and then decide what to do. My feeling is that if having a natural birthing experience is important to you, then you don't want to be using an OB. they are great for surgical procedures, but not for births. For our 2nd child, our midwife was with us the entire time (in the hospital, not at home) giving excellent advice on labor positions and such. she was amazing. she got my wife through with no drugs of any kind and no interventions. we never even saw a doctor. OB's, on the other hand, visit you for a few minutes here are there, and then rush in to deliver the baby right at the end (if you're lucky). Frequently, they decide that you 'aren't progressing fast enough' and give you pitocin to induce labor and that makes labor so incredibly intense that an epidural is absolutely necessary. and then many times they end up doing a C-section anyways because it isn't happening fast enough for them. and, hmmmm, it just so happens that surgeries cost much more - but that's a whole other thing.

Yes, i'm certainly biased against OB deliveries. Don't get me wrong, i realize that sometimes their intervention is necessary. just not as much as they'd like you to believe.

I'm off topic here, but i would give back cove midwives a call - it can't hurt you to get all the info you can to make an educated decision.

best of luck

Old 02-21-2014, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,460 times
I had a horrible experience while there. I was admitted for an induction but was having contractions already, about every 7 mins apart. The induction was suppose to begin that night I was admitted around noon, nothing. At night the contractions where bad enough I could not sleep, they gave me an injection of morphine and another medication i dont recall the name of to help me sleep (being a nurse I latter find out this is often used when as a nurse your unsure if they are going into labor or not, rule is you check for cervicle change as soon as they wake up if thats 2 hours latter or 9, if there is change it is true labor). I slept great and woke up around 8 am, the nurse finally came in at about 10 am just to do her shift assessment and hook me up to the monitors, it was only suppose to be 20 mins, but she forgot and left me on for an hour. looking at the strip I was contracting every four mins and it was getting pretty uncomfortable. I asked her when they where going to check me or start anything to help labor? she said doctors should be doing rounds now and in to see me in about an hr. No one came I was getting increasingly uncomfortable, I didn't wanna ask for pain medication or anything til I knew I was progressing. 1:30 pm came with out having seen anyone I finally call out to get some pain medication. The nurse didn't think I was in labor (apparently I was "handling" it well) they where getting to discharge me because they where to byse to induce me. I had to tell her I needed to be checked, she checked me, I was 5 cm, I had been 1 cm last night. Finally they realized I went into labor on my own, because the contractions werent enough. I asked for IV pain med, they gave me morphine, knocked me out between contractions only time I was conscious was during contractions I couldn't communicate I wanted an epidural. My husband could tell the morphine was knocking me out but the nurse couldn't? I was fully dilated with in 3 and a half hours of finally them realizing i was in labor and my son was born 30 mins later. I felt so abandoned by them and alone through my labor. I had my husband but he didn't know how to help me.
For the rest of my stay I never saw the nurse more then once maybe twice a shift. I was told she would be right back to take out my IV 4 hours latter I did it myself (I was a nursing student at the time), she comes in 2 hours after (when i had requested for ibuprofen) and said she's take it out, i already had thanks. I wanted to see lactation, I was new and worried I wasn't doing it right, my nipples where bleeding I was in so much pain. The LC sat in a chair at the foot of the bed and was not helpful. It wasn't til we went to the 5 day check up that the pediatrician realized the tongue tie and he hadn't gained any weight after leaving the hospital. When i was discharged I was given a booklet the nurse never went through any questions with me. I was so over that place when we getting ready to be discharged, I just wanted to leave.
I will never go back to that hospital, I would rather drive two hours to a different hospital in labor then ever go back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area