U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 02:15 PM

470 posts, read 1,716,888 times

Advertisements

Looking for recommendations for a property management company. Looking for a long-term rental (house or apartment) for our eventual move to the Portland area in the next few months. Interested in renting in Portland, So Portland and surrounding areas, Saco or Biddeford. We are a family of four, but the challenge I'm running into is our dogs (a poodle and a lab mix--both crate trained and for the most part, quiet). Also, any recommendations for apartment buildings that are pet friendly would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:45 PM

404 posts, read 695,588 times
Hello! So I moved here with 2 dogs and two cats and had a number of places to choose from. I think the problem you may be having is property management companies...they tend to not accept pets as a policy of the company not the owner.

Maine, especially the portland area is a very pet freindly place. The secret is the best selection is Craigslist, and renting from an individual. Its what most people do here and I know a number of people who are renting with dogs. Sounds like the yours are both well behaved, so that and being open to or offering a deposit makes it promising . private rentals will start opening up soon, but can be competitive. WHen I replied to adds,if they didn't say "no pets don't ask", I asked even with a basic no pets, and got at least 3 people who were willing to consider it with a nice letter and the offer of a deposit..

A couple property mgmt co's to check...but possibly not very pet friendly are: Santoro Real Estate and Maine Properties, Inc. but as you can see...as a policy the mgmt co's...not pet friendly.

I believe coach lantern in scarborough is pet friendly, its in an decent area, but I don't know anything about their condition.
Summitt landing in s. Portland is pet friendly too.

I know there are alot of scams on craigslist, but the rule is if its too good to be true then it is...and be wary. However it is the source most locals find their rentals, that being said I noticed there isn't much right now...things do start opening up in march and april.

Good luck and it can be done...Its the most pet friendliest, place I've ever lived.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:48 AM

470 posts, read 1,716,888 times
thank you, atrixwolfe. You're always so helpful. I guess I need to get over my CL fear. Way too many scams on CL here, that I forget that there are places that it is still a viable resource. We're currently homeowners, so getting back into the rental game after a few years has been interesting.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 AM

234 posts, read 300,720 times
CraigsList is the only place I've found apartments on my own. Like Atrix said, deal with individuals if possible. You'll get better pricing and it won't feel as much like a business transaction.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Its weird you can kind of spot the scams after you get used to trolling the listings, and when in question just send a email not giving away any personal information, you can tell when they answer you, at least I could.

Be sure when you respond, particularly to a property mgmt company that you talk about being a home owner...I found that made a big difference and just ask about the pet the worse they can do is say no..or not respond.

Also consider alternate ideas...such as lease purchase. Lease with a contingency on rolling into a sales contract after your house sells. Again, I looked a bit last night and noted there isn't much right now....hopefully they should start comming on the market soon.

Consider opening up to falmouth, yarmouth & freeport possibly gorham and I was willing to pay $100 a month over my original budget for a garage! Best 100 a month I ever spent!

Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM

836 posts, read 1,457,173 times
I despise prop mgrs but in some places they kinda have a lock on things.

For craigslist never give your phone number or personal info responding to an ad that has no info. Their return email usually will make it clear if they're a scammer just out for your identity and money or a genuine person.

Also check newspapers and thrift papers for some older owners who won't use internet but still post classified ads; they may be wonderful to deal with.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM

I just remembered about this guy....many of his properties say A pet may be allowed...if he has something, he might be able to negotiate 2 pets for a responsible home owner. I like his site cause it says when the current lease is up.

Drinan Properties, Inc. - HOME PAGE - Maine Property Rentals, Sales and Services

Old 02-23-2014, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 7,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
I despise prop mgrs but in some places they kinda have a lock on things.

From what I have heard, PPM is a real pain to deal with. I called last fall and the person on the phone had zero customer service skills, and acted as if my call was an inconvenience. I would not rent from them based on what others have told me locally. Unfortunately, they do have a large number of properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area