U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 11:38 AM

6 posts, read 7,017 times

Advertisements

Recently spent some time in Portland, and here are a few observations:

This winter has been a killer, with major storms, ice and deep freezes. Locals say it is unusual.
Coast is beautiful in winter, many breathtaking sights to see.
Lots of people have dogs and take them everywhere.
Most people are friendly; older locals (past 70ish) are less friendly to newcomers, at least in my experience.
Excellent snow clearing, salting and sanding of roads.
Mandatory lower speed limits during bad weather keeps accidents to a minimum.
Parking bans in the cities during storms are a huge pain for people without off street parking.
Portland tows cars illegally parked during snow storms.
LLBean is awesome.
High number of homeless and vagrants roaming around in city of Portland, many begging on the medians.
Homeless congregate in downtown library (beautiful building). Many stay all day in lobby making it difficult for everyone else to sit and enjoy the beautiful space, since they take up the majority of the chairs and tables, talk loudly on cell phones, have public verbal disagreements, etc.
Many halfway houses in the city.
Most big box stores are located in one area in South Portland, very convenient.
Small efficient airport, jetport actually.
High cost of heating (oil and propane with some natl gas).
High cost of housing in Portland, not in line with salaries and wages which are low.
Fires in older wood houses in winter seems fairly common (volunteer fire depts, wood stoves, etc)
Lots of typical New England houses and structures like churches are made of wood.
Beautiful NE towns in southern Maine.

Not looking for political commentary, just my own observations. The number of homeless in Portland has increased dramatically in the last few years. They are very visible and impact the quality of life in the city for visitors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM

56 posts, read 66,417 times
I live and work in Portland. Some good observations from the post from ABCD 79. Here are some of my own, which are my opinion and experience with Portland. This is MY experience and people need to read it if they are thinking of moving to Portland, use your own judgement.

To comment on the above post, there are a lot of dog owners/pet owners here, however, many of the rentals are now not taking any animals in the rentals. The rent has skyrocketed in the past 4 years, with rental prices starting to rival Southern California. On the other hand, if you buy a home, the water bills are OUTRAGOUS, so tough choice.

The work culture and people here is very closed off, if you are not from Portland, you are an outsider, been with my company for 5 years and the attitude has honestly lessened about half, but it is still there. It's a small city mentality. There is a very strange attitude that Portland is the best city in the world, which is wonderful if that is your reality, truly. The bottom line is, it is was a small city that has expanded into a larger city, but kept the same small town and small minded mentality, you wouldn't think that on the surface, but that is the reality. There is not a lot of art exhibits that come to town, so not a lot in the way of culture. There is not a big mix of ethnicities here in the work force, which it could really use to shake things up a bit.

There are a lot of restaurants, but mostly in downtown. Vancouver WA has some good restaurants. Otherwise, there are a lot of chain restaurants in the suburbs, not much inbetween if don't live in those areas. There are a few good restaurants downtown. Merriweather's is good. There are a few other places, but many are over priced for what is offered, but some interesting restaurants. There is a lack of authentic Mexican food.

There is public transportation, but it does not extend to many parts of the city, so the "dream of a city with no cars", that's not happening people. There are some odd and completely unrealistic ideas like that here. The Portlandia series is not really that much of an exaggeration. Great show.

There is NO infrastructure for snow, so the city shuts down. It will snow heavily on occasion, so the city has not invested in snow plows and the roads are not salted. De-icer is put down and gravel, but no salt to melt the snow or ice. Which is a nightmare trying to get to work, especially because there are a lot of hills. Not to mention the hillbilly mentality that you are expected to somehow get into to work, but you can't get there because of the previously mentioned issues of the roads being undrivable, well unless you happen to own a 4x4 truck, even then I have seen those slide.

The homeless issue is very bad, as is a major issue with heavy drug usage with a lot of the people here, not just homeless. There are a lot of social service programs and many people are on Government services here, so maybe why some can still afford the climbing rent prices.

The rose garden is nice and has great vies of the city, Pitock Mansion also offers some great views of Portland.

There are places to hike, but you have to find parking first, the nature trails are always full of people, it's hard to just park and walk somewhere in the woods if you don't want to drive for 2 hours, with a lot of things here, you have to drive 2 hours, the beach is about 2 hours because you have to drive through the forest to get there, which is beautiful, but not a quick getaway for a few hours, it is a long drive. The coast line is beautiful to say the least, but not a place you can live, no jobs there, but it is nice to visit if you have a 3-day weekend and can stay at a hotel. Wonderful food in Astoria Oregon.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:28 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,149,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamsnno View Post
I live and work in Portland. Some good observations from the post from ABCD 79. Here are some of my own, which are my opinion and experience with Portland. This is MY experience and people need to read it if they are thinking of moving to Portland, use your own judgement.

To comment on the above post, there are a lot of dog owners/pet owners here, however, many of the rentals are now not taking any animals in the rentals. The rent has skyrocketed in the past 4 years, with rental prices starting to rival Southern California. On the other hand, if you buy a home, the water bills are OUTRAGOUS, so tough choice.

The work culture and people here is very closed off, if you are not from Portland, you are an outsider, been with my company for 5 years and the attitude has honestly lessened about half, but it is still there. It's a small city mentality. There is a very strange attitude that Portland is the best city in the world, which is wonderful if that is your reality, truly. The bottom line is, it is was a small city that has expanded into a larger city, but kept the same small town and small minded mentality, you wouldn't think that on the surface, but that is the reality. There is not a lot of art exhibits that come to town, so not a lot in the way of culture. There is not a big mix of ethnicities here in the work force, which it could really use to shake things up a bit.

There are a lot of restaurants, but mostly in downtown. Vancouver WA has some good restaurants. Otherwise, there are a lot of chain restaurants in the suburbs, not much inbetween if don't live in those areas. There are a few good restaurants downtown. Merriweather's is good. There are a few other places, but many are over priced for what is offered, but some interesting restaurants. There is a lack of authentic Mexican food.

There is public transportation, but it does not extend to many parts of the city, so the "dream of a city with no cars", that's not happening people. There are some odd and completely unrealistic ideas like that here. The Portlandia series is not really that much of an exaggeration. Great show.

There is NO infrastructure for snow, so the city shuts down. It will snow heavily on occasion, so the city has not invested in snow plows and the roads are not salted. De-icer is put down and gravel, but no salt to melt the snow or ice. Which is a nightmare trying to get to work, especially because there are a lot of hills. Not to mention the hillbilly mentality that you are expected to somehow get into to work, but you can't get there because of the previously mentioned issues of the roads being undrivable, well unless you happen to own a 4x4 truck, even then I have seen those slide.

The homeless issue is very bad, as is a major issue with heavy drug usage with a lot of the people here, not just homeless. There are a lot of social service programs and many people are on Government services here, so maybe why some can still afford the climbing rent prices.

The rose garden is nice and has great vies of the city, Pitock Mansion also offers some great views of Portland.

There are places to hike, but you have to find parking first, the nature trails are always full of people, it's hard to just park and walk somewhere in the woods if you don't want to drive for 2 hours, with a lot of things here, you have to drive 2 hours, the beach is about 2 hours because you have to drive through the forest to get there, which is beautiful, but not a quick getaway for a few hours, it is a long drive. The coast line is beautiful to say the least, but not a place you can live, no jobs there, but it is nice to visit if you have a 3-day weekend and can stay at a hotel. Wonderful food in Astoria Oregon.
Your gps has let you down. This is the Maine forum.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:56 PM

6 posts, read 7,017 times
Default Enjoyed your post about Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamsnno View Post

Interesting post about Portland OR and some similarities to the other Portland in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area