Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:36 PM

29 posts, read 39,418 times

Advertisements

My first post and a fairly self-explanatory question for you good folks in here, if one were to live in that very compact core Downtown commercial district, could it be a viable lifestyle to live alone and walk to the grocery store, laundromat, bank, gym etc?

Just really the basics, I'm a fairly easy guy. I'm specifically looking at Portland as I'm trying to escape the larger metropolitan life I've been living for the last 5 years or so. Thanks for any and all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 10:31 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,561,204 times
I've asked myself this same question a few times. I know the main artery is Congress Street, which is mostly with METRO's #5 bus. That takes you from downtown west towards the area of Hadlock Field (via Park Avenue), the Portland Transportation Center (Concord Coach/Amtrak), PWM/Jetport (on most runs) and finally the Maine Mall in South Portland. Sadly, I've never been on any other METRO bus. I've looked at the area near Back Bay Tower and know there's a Hannaford supermarket a mile (or less?) going up Forest Avenue past the Post Office and Deering Oaks Park. Once you cross under I-295, you're there.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
I've asked myself this same question a few times. I know the main artery is Congress Street, which is mostly with METRO's #5 bus. That takes you from downtown west towards the area of Hadlock Field (via Park Avenue), the Portland Transportation Center (Concord Coach/Amtrak), PWM/Jetport (on most runs) and finally the Maine Mall in South Portland. Sadly, I've never been on any other METRO bus. I've looked at the area near Back Bay Tower and know there's a Hannaford supermarket a mile (or less?) going up Forest Avenue past the Post Office and Deering Oaks Park. Once you cross under I-295, you're there.

Good info. Thanks. Yea, I've heard of that Hannaford as well and was actually wondering how walkable that would be with some groceries in tow. I suppose less than a mile is fathomable.

Would love to hear from anyone else who might have some insight into this fairly simple question: Downtown Portland sans vehicle?

Old 10-16-2014, 09:51 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
The short answer is yes you can and you can cover the basics easily (In addition to Hannaford- a typical mid level grocery store- there's a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's within walking distance to downtown). But if you're used to living in a larger metropolitan area like New York, DC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. it's still a huge adjustment.

I lived for years without a car in Boston and found it to be not just adequate, but ideal. There was a pretty large metro area from neat outer neighborhood centers and squares to the bustling downtown neighborhoods that were easily accessible on foot or by one of the many, many bus lines, light rail branches, or rapid transit lines. If I wanted to get out of the city, things like skiing, beaches, cute villages and neat historic towns, etc. were all a commuter rail ride away. Everybody uses transit, there's no stigma. To top it off, I had easy access to a major international airport (Logan) where I could step onto a plane in Boston and take a non-stop flight to places like Tokyo, Beijing, Dubai, London, Paris, Istanbul, Panama City, etc. (I took advantage of this just because it's so easy). I also had access to the Acela Express which offers nice comfortable train rides to New York, Philly and DC (and everywhere in between) as well as other Amtrak services and a massive network of Bus services. And on the rare occasion that I needed a car to leave the city, I'd rent one.

On the flip side, I lived in Portland for close to 5 years, within walking distance to downtown. I wouldn't have even considered living without a car. For starters, unlike Boston (or any large city), it's not really any more expensive to own a car in Portland vs. the suburbs. It's also pretty easy. Traffic isn't a problem, and most units have off-street parking (even if they don't, parking on the street will offer no challenges). No neighborhood stickers or fighting for spaces. With the exception of a few garages during peak season, Parking anywhere else downtown isn't expensive, and most of the city is free (you can ALWAYS find spots).

Beyond that, living without a car in downtown Portland means you're essentially confined to the small downtown area and wherever the miniscule number of small bus lines will take you. Downtown Portland is lively, compact and walkable. It is, however, very small. You can see most of it on foot in a few hours, so you can imagine how repetitive it can feel if you're living and essentially confined to it. The bus lines are not only few and far between, but they're not as commonly used. You may not care about stigma or anything like that, but many people in the Portland area still consider the bus to be for "poor people." The auto-centric lifestyle is far more prevalent in Portland than in most larger metro areas. Unlike major metro areas like Boston, New York, etc. There's no metropolitan transit network so to speak of. In Boston, you can take the commuter rail to Rockport, Salem, Gloucester, or skiing at Wachusett. Anything you want to get to near Portland that's not within the city limits or along the suburban retail stretches in South Portland or Falmouth will require driving. You may be "fairly easy" but I can't imagine that living in Portland without a car wouldn't feel suffocating for someone coming from a metro area where there's just so much more accessible without a car.

So again, it's possible (and for the basics, pretty easy). But as someone who has lived in Portland and also lived in a city without a car for a long time, I really really wouldn't suggest it unless you plan on really spending almost all of your time within the 2 square miles or so that makes up central Portland. Getting out of the center of the city isn't easy unless you're driving.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:23 AM

587 posts, read 915,861 times
It's possible, but less than ideal, imo. You may have quite a hike to get groceries and do laundry, depending on which neighborhood you choose to live in. Sidewalks may be unshoveled or treacherous in the winter. Public transportation is extremely limited with buses that might run once an hour. You can make it without a car but may find yourself wanting one.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:00 AM

Both are equally illuminating posts and I am equally appreciative of the feedback.

Just to clear it up a bit, yes I've been a big-city guy for a while now, but that's precisely what I'm looking to escape from in Portland. I'm not so worried about having all the amenities beyond the crucial elements as I've had them at my fingertips for a number of years in a number of different locales, and I'm a tad burned out on the frenetic metro lifestyle feeding frenzy.

I'm not worried about walking as long as it can be done. I have the personality and experience as a pedestrian for so long now it's become second nature to me and I'm sure it will ease the adjustment to the slower pace waiting for me in Portland.

Any suggestions as to some core neighborhoods to look for an apartment? That 2 mile square radius suits me just fine actually, and that's where I'll be making my home.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:17 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust Wisdom View Post
Both are equally illuminating posts and I am equally appreciative of the feedback.

Just to clear it up a bit, yes I've been a big-city guy for a while now, but that's precisely what I'm looking to escape from in Portland. I'm not so worried about having all the amenities beyond the crucial elements as I've had them at my fingertips for a number of years in a number of different locales, and I'm a tad burned out on the frenetic metro lifestyle feeding frenzy.

I'm not worried about walking as long as it can be done. I have the personality and experience as a pedestrian for so long now it's become second nature to me and I'm sure it will ease the adjustment to the slower pace waiting for me in Portland.

Any suggestions as to some core neighborhoods to look for an apartment? That 2 mile square radius suits me just fine actually, and that's where I'll be making my home.
You're essentially going to be looking for places in Downtown (subdivided into the Old Port and the "Arts District" which is more or less Congress Street between High and Franklin), East End (aka Munjoy Hill), West End, Parkside and Bayside. The sections of the East End and West End, while pedestrian friendly, will isolate you a bit from the amenities you want. Bayside and Parkside are often reputed to be the "tougher" neighborhoods in Portland. Neither of them are prohibitively dangerous even if they're not beautiful. If you're looking at a map, the majority of the neighborhoods mentioned above are on the "Peninsula." Stay closer to downtown to have the amenities you want.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You're essentially going to be looking for places in Downtown (subdivided into the Old Port and the "Arts District" which is more or less Congress Street between High and Franklin), East End (aka Munjoy Hill), West End, Parkside and Bayside. The sections of the East End and West End, while pedestrian friendly, will isolate you a bit from the amenities you want. Bayside and Parkside are often reputed to be the "tougher" neighborhoods in Portland. Neither of them are prohibitively dangerous even if they're not beautiful. If you're looking at a map, the majority of the neighborhoods mentioned above are on the "Peninsula." Stay closer to downtown to have the amenities you want.

I'm gleaning the personality of the locals from the microcosm of responses here, and so far, I must say I like it. Crisp, curt and to the point. Not the typical phony, schmoozy facade you can unfortunately get from some other places, yet still very helpful and well-meaning.

Thanks again for the great information irfox.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:47 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
My gf does not have a license, and she has lived in Portland for over 8 years. Currently, we own a condo that sits between the Arts District and the West End which makes walking easy. That said, I own two trucks. I park one in my deeded parking space, and the other on the street. On top of that, I work for Metro so I technical know better, but I am required to have a vehicle for my job so...

Yes, you can do it. There are plenty of ways to get around (bike is my favorite,) and things are close enough as long as you live close or in downtown.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
My gf does not have a license, and she has lived in Portland for over 8 years. Currently, we own a condo that sits between the Arts District and the West End which makes walking easy. That said, I own two trucks. I park one in my deeded parking space, and the other on the street. On top of that, I work for Metro so I technical know better, but I am required to have a vehicle for my job so...

Yes, you can do it. There are plenty of ways to get around (bike is my favorite,) and things are close enough as long as you live close or in downtown.

A bike.. Now -that's- an excellent idea.

See? Sometimes a seemingly innocent bystander will drop in a simple little post that turns a lightbulb on and clears a path. Thanks for the positivity dub. This is going to be a huge change for me, and I can use all the encouragement I can get.

@ the Mainers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area