U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2015, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Maine
18,564 posts, read 22,360,746 times
Reputation: 22441

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It is much more likely to snow in April than it is in October. In Portland, the peak of foliage season is the middle of October.
Yep. A year or two ago we had a freak heavy snow in mid-October, but that's really rare. Usually true winter doesn't really hit till after Thanksgiving.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2015, 03:13 AM
 
130 posts, read 99,922 times
Reputation: 74
from when to when do you use heater in portland????????????


and from when to when do you use cooler in portland??? if you has??? it is common in portland????



heater in stockholm from 1 nov to 1 april!!!! sometimes even in summer months!

cooler maybe some days (max 14 days) in summer, but it is not common in stockholm to use cooler! maybe 1 % has it!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2015, 02:10 PM
 
Location: NYC (Manhattan, btwn SoHo/LES)
607 posts, read 510,960 times
Reputation: 822
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty rare to have to use your heater in the summer in Maine. I don't think that's ever necessary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2015, 03:09 PM
 
154 posts, read 157,817 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanychantel View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty rare to have to use your heater in the summer in Maine. I don't think that's ever necessary.
Depends, down in Southern Maine? Not too often, up where I grew up... they had a snowstorm on Memorial Day (not technically summer yet but most consider it the start of summer) and temps in the 40s in the night/morning are not abnormal. On the other end of the scale, you'll start getting frosts in mid-September so do the math there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2015, 05:25 PM
 
171 posts, read 165,920 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanychantel View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty rare to have to use your heater in the summer in Maine. I don't think that's ever necessary.
Correct! There are those rare nights in early May and late September when some people might feel the need to put on the heat. Most of the time, we'd just put on a sweatshirt and some warm socks. Generally speaking though, the heat is off in our house from late April/mid May (depends on the year!) until at least mid October, but we've had some years that it didn't go on until early November. YMMV depending on how well insulated your house is, how well you tolerate the cold, and how willing you are to bundle up inside.

It's a source of pride for many Mainers to wait as long as humanly possible in the fall before you give in and turn the heat on (you'll hear people phrase it that way), and to turn it off for good as early as possible in the spring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2015, 06:56 AM
 
130 posts, read 99,922 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
Depends, down in Southern Maine? Not too often, up where I grew up... they had a snowstorm on Memorial Day (not technically summer yet but most consider it the start of summer) and temps in the 40s in the night/morning are not abnormal. On the other end of the scale, you'll start getting frosts in mid-September so do the math there.
which city are you grew up in???
and in that city what is the avaerage date for the last frost????


in stockholm last frost is often around 7 may!!!!

and are A/C common in Portland?????????????? if so how common????


in stockholm when we get MAX 3-14 days with 30+ celcius! how common is that in portland??? or in north maine???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 AM
 
130 posts, read 99,922 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmK999 View Post
Correct! There are those rare nights in early May and late September when some people might feel the need to put on the heat. Most of the time, we'd just put on a sweatshirt and some warm socks. Generally speaking though, the heat is off in our house from late April/mid May (depends on the year!) until at least mid October, but we've had some years that it didn't go on until early November. YMMV depending on how well insulated your house is, how well you tolerate the cold, and how willing you are to bundle up inside.

It's a source of pride for many Mainers to wait as long as humanly possible in the fall before you give in and turn the heat on (you'll hear people phrase it that way), and to turn it off for good as early as possible in the spring.
by the way you live in Portland???
if so
1. are the summer in portland cool or warm???
2. and are Portland a windy place (if you think all month)???



in stockholm the summers are warm , the night around 10+ and days often around 20-25+!!!
and in stockholm it is often windy (all months)!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2015, 07:21 AM
 
171 posts, read 165,920 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by athen View Post
by the way you live in Portland???
if so
1. are the summer in portland cool or warm???
2. and are Portland a windy place (if you think all month)???



in stockholm the summers are warm , the night around 10+ and days often around 20-25+!!!
and in stockholm it is often windy (all months)!
Because Portland is on the coast, it stays a little cooler in the summer and a little warmer in the winter than inland parts of Maine. Average lows in June and September can be around 12.7 C and the average highs in July and August can be around 26.6 C. You'll have a couple days in June and September that are colder than average and a handful of days in July and August that are that are warmer than average.

I would say that Portland is windier than most other places in Maine, but again, that's because it's on the coast. Whether or not you think it's really windy depends on your experiences.

You can find information about climate and wind speeds on Portland's city page on this website (//www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Maine.html) and on sites like Wikipedia and weather.com.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 AM
 
130 posts, read 99,922 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmK999 View Post
Because Portland is on the coast, it stays a little cooler in the summer and a little warmer in the winter than inland parts of Maine. Average lows in June and September can be around 12.7 C and the average highs in July and August can be around 26.6 C. You'll have a couple days in June and September that are colder than average and a handful of days in July and August that are that are warmer than average.

I would say that Portland is windier than most other places in Maine, but again, that's because it's on the coast. Whether or not you think it's really windy depends on your experiences.

You can find information about climate and wind speeds on Portland's city page on this website (//www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Maine.html) and on sites like Wikipedia and weather.com.
thanxs for the info!
last questins


Three questind:::
1, when i see the weather info for portland i see half of each months in summer are totaly cloudy days! so i woundrr are summers in portland often cloudy with rain??????


but i dont find! the first and last frost date for portland?
and are A/C common in portland??????+if it is common so how many days are AC on???

Last edited by athen; 07-27-2015 at 08:41 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2015, 08:57 AM
 
171 posts, read 165,920 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by athen View Post
thanxs for the info!



but i dont find! the first and last frost date for portland?
and are A/C common in portland??????+if it is common so how many days are AC on???
The first and last frost dates can vary wildly, so take any dates listed as a general rule and not as something you could set your watch by. Maine is known for it's erratic and sometimes extreme weather. Farmer's Almanac lists the last frost of the season as May 2 and the first as October 6, with only a 50% probability for each of those dates. Here's the link.

A/Cs are common in Portland, especially window units. Buildings open to the public (stores, restaurants, government buildings, theaters, etc.) will mostly all have central A/C. Most homes in Portland won't have central air unless it's new construction or the owners are wealthy.

Again, how often you'll use the A/C depends on how well you tolerate heat and humidity. I use it frequently at night during the summer, but more to combat the humidity than because the heat itself makes it necessary. I would say there are less than 15 days of the summer when I feel like it's necessary to have the A/C on during daytime hours, but that there are double that number of days when it would be more pleasant to have it on. Answers on this topic will be all over the place.

Like the issue of how early you turn on the heat/how long you keep it on, many Mainers hold off on using the A/C until it's intolerable without it. Mainers like to think of themselves as a rugged bunch (and we are!), and not needing heat at the first frost and not using the A/C until the height of the summer heat are demonstrations of our heartiness. For others, it's an economic issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top