U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:14 AM

130 posts, read 99,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmK999 View Post
The first and last frost dates can vary wildly, so take any dates listed as a general rule and not as something you could set your watch by. Maine is known for it's erratic and sometimes extreme weather. Farmer's Almanac lists the last frost of the season as May 2 and the first as October 6, with only a 50% probability for each of those dates. Here's the link.

A/Cs are common in Portland, especially window units. Buildings open to the public (stores, restaurants, government buildings, theaters, etc.) will mostly all have central A/C. Most homes in Portland won't have central air unless it's new construction or the owners are wealthy.

Again, how often you'll use the A/C depends on how well you tolerate heat and humidity. I use it frequently at night during the summer, but more to combat the humidity than because the heat itself makes it necessary. I would say there are less than 15 days of the summer when I feel like it's necessary to have the A/C on during daytime hours, but that there are double that number of days when it would be more pleasant to have it on. Answers on this topic will be all over the place.

Like the issue of how early you turn on the heat/how long you keep it on, many Mainers hold off on using the A/C until it's intolerable without it. Mainers like to think of themselves as a rugged bunch (and we are!), and not needing heat at the first frost and not using the A/C until the height of the summer heat are demonstrations of our heartiness. For others, it's an economic issue.
you forget this one man:

when i see the weather info for portland i see half of each months in summer are totaly cloudy days! so i woundrr are summers in portland often cloudy with rain??????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 07:59 AM

171 posts, read 165,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athen View Post
you forget this one man:

when i see the weather info for portland i see half of each months in summer are totaly cloudy days! so i woundrr are summers in portland often cloudy with rain??????
It's not true that 50% of summer days are totally (mostly, I think you mean) cloudy, but it is probably true that 50% of summer days in Portland are at least partly cloudy. What you're probably looking at is the aggregate of partly cloudy, cloudy, and mostly cloudy days. Again, you need to remember that Maine weather can be somewhat erratic.

It's not unusual to start a summer day under clouds that clear into a beautiful blue sky by noon. It's also not unusual to have a gorgeous summer day end with a thunder and lightning storm. It's not unusual to have 2 or 3 days of overcast skies and light rain followed by 7 or 8 of near-constant sunshine. A midday sunshower isn't unusual. Any of the above can and do happen during Portland summers. If you're asking if it feels like it's constantly overcast and rainy, I would say no. But, keep in mind I grew up in Maine, so that's my frame of reference. Someone from Arizona or Florida might argue just the opposite because they're used to a lot more sunshine. You'll have to gauge it against what you're used to.

From what I could find, it looks like Portland is a lot less cloudy than Stockholm in the summer, and overall. Open both of those links for side-by-side comparisons. I think you'll find that Portland is warmer in the summer and colder in the winter than Stockholm, and that Portland gets less overall precipitation.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:31 AM

130 posts, read 99,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmK999 View Post
It's not true that 50% of summer days are totally (mostly, I think you mean) cloudy, but it is probably true that 50% of summer days in Portland are at least partly cloudy. What you're probably looking at is the aggregate of partly cloudy, cloudy, and mostly cloudy days. Again, you need to remember that Maine weather can be somewhat erratic.

It's not unusual to start a summer day under clouds that clear into a beautiful blue sky by noon. It's also not unusual to have a gorgeous summer day end with a thunder and lightning storm. It's not unusual to have 2 or 3 days of overcast skies and light rain followed by 7 or 8 of near-constant sunshine. A midday sunshower isn't unusual. Any of the above can and do happen during Portland summers. If you're asking if it feels like it's constantly overcast and rainy, I would say no. But, keep in mind I grew up in Maine, so that's my frame of reference. Someone from Arizona or Florida might argue just the opposite because they're used to a lot more sunshine. You'll have to gauge it against what you're used to.

From what I could find, it looks like Portland is a lot less cloudy than Stockholm in the summer, and overall. Open both of those links for side-by-side comparisons. I think you'll find that Portland is warmer in the summer and colder in the winter than Stockholm, and that Portland gets less overall precipitation.
In 54 years (statstic portland maine)
10 7 14
9 7 12
9 7 15
7 7 16
6 10 15

CLEAR partly cloudy OVERCAST (TOTALY CLOUDY
JUN 7 10 13
JUL 7 11 13
AUG 9 11 11

10 8 12
10 8 13
8 7 15
9 7 15

CLEAR partly cloudy cloudy
101 99 165

I think the summers in PORTLAND are around 500 hour more sunshine than stockholm BUT many partly and overcast days as stockholm!!!

but you say the portlanders dont use often HEATER in summers (jun-sept)???

Old 07-29-2015, 05:54 AM

171 posts, read 165,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athen View Post
I think the summers in PORTLAND are around 500 hour more sunshine than stockholm BUT many partly and overcast days as stockholm!!!

but you say the portlanders dont use often HEATER in summers (jun-sept)???
Heaters are not necessary during the summer. Even when it's overcast, it's only occasionally below 60 F (15.5 C). Stockholm is quite a bit farther north than Portland, so that may account for the differences in how day to day fluctuations need to be handled.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:42 AM

10 posts, read 9,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee721 View Post
It is very safe. Bayside and West Bayside, maybe Parkside, are probably areas you want to stay out if you're worried about safety
I just did some Googling... that's like half of Portland.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:09 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,043,439 times
Cumberland Avenue once east of the Franklin Arterial didn't seem so nice when I walked through there in July, heading towards Congress and Washington Streets, near the cemetery.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 PM

607 posts, read 511,005 times
Opiate danger spikes in Portland with 14 overdoses in 24 hours - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

I had no idea that Portland had such a heroin problem... !?! Very disheartening, I love Portland, so this is sad to hear

Old 08-10-2015, 11:37 AM

810 posts, read 669,628 times
love the pictures. I am in the other Portland. I have visited Maine it was quite a few years ago but every person i met and talked to was very nice. I had some one even explain how they were clam digging and let me try it.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,427 times
What is life like in the winter there? Not just weatherwise, how do people live their lives through it? (I'm from Miami) I too am considering moving there. My best cousin came there after years of international living and ADORES IT . but she might just want me there to shovel her snow or something (jk) so I need unbiased input. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:50 AM

631 posts, read 622,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad2bowler View Post
What is life like in the winter there? Not just weatherwise, how do people live their lives through it? (I'm from Miami) I too am considering moving there. My best cousin came there after years of international living and ADORES IT . but she might just want me there to shovel her snow or something (jk) so I need unbiased input. Thanks.
Spray and pray undercoating your car.

Wash the car off underneath at the end of each day hoping that the calcium chloride doesn't eat the steel. Your car needs to be closely guarded during snow season! Also get a car jack and put on snow tires for only the snow season.

Get an Ariens PRO (American motor), not Deluxe (Chinese motor). Make a collection of shear pins, they are toothpicks for slushy mowing. Watch the roof, otherwise it's cave-in time!

Carry a crowbar just in case the car door freezes shut and don't ride the curves on I-95 going 75.

Get 600-1000gram layer boots and wear 1-2 pairs of socks, layer up on clothing. Having cold or wet feet below ZERO won't be fun. Check weather reports every morning before leaving. Get some gloves for them hands!

(Inhales) I think that about covers it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or