U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 10,269 times

Advertisements

My buddy and I are relocating soon, we just don't know exactly where yet. I thought moving to Maine would be a good idea as we could fish tuna in the summer and plow snow in the winter. I was also thinking maybe Florida or California but it seems like there is no job opportunity there.

Input????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 PM

I would really appreciate input as soon as possible.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:29 PM

And is it possible to find a job making at least $500 a week? We want to go there to fish and plow snow but are open minded and can do about anything.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 AM

32,039 posts, read 52,177,888 times
Where we live, we see a lot of people who do part-time seasonal work.

Landscaping in the summer, fir tipping in the fall and maybe berry picking, plowing in winter, etc.

The pay is not very good, the work is not steady, and there is competition.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 AM

18,569 posts, read 22,364,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlower01 View Post
My buddy and I are relocating soon, we just don't know exactly where yet. I thought moving to Maine would be a good idea as we could fish tuna in the summer and plow snow in the winter. I was also thinking maybe Florida or California but it seems like there is no job opportunity there.

Input????
Yeah, I understand the opportunities for plowing snow in Florida are rather limited these days.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 PM

Any more input

Old 05-29-2014, 11:12 PM

8,030 posts, read 14,012,227 times
Your choices are MAINE ... or California or Florida? Maine is pretty different from those other states. Have you ever lived up here, or even visited? For that matter, have you ever been to New England?

I don't mean to be negative, I'm just trying to understand your thought process.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM

11 posts, read 11,921 times
How is it that you see no job opportunities in Cali or Florida but you think there are opportunities in Maine???

Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 PM

321 posts, read 380,800 times
I would recommend thinking carefully about what you're really looking for, because Maine and Florida/California are obviously very different, have different strengths and weaknesses, and your experience will be much different in Maine than it would be in either of those places.

People plow, work in the fishing industry, do odd jobs, and more in Maine and find a way to make it work. Many of these people have local connections and existing relationships, which can be very helpful when you're trying to do some of these things.

Portland is a wonderful city, and if it's your goal to live there, I certainly wouldn't want to discourage you. But I think it's important to know what you're getting into and make sure that it's really the right place for you.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:19 PM

8,030 posts, read 14,012,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post
I would recommend thinking carefully about what you're really looking for, because Maine and Florida/California are obviously very different, have different strengths and weaknesses, and your experience will be much different in Maine than it would be in either of those places.

People plow, work in the fishing industry, do odd jobs, and more in Maine and find a way to make it work. Many of these people have local connections and existing relationships, which can be very helpful when you're trying to do some of these things.

Portland is a wonderful city, and if it's your goal to live there, I certainly wouldn't want to discourage you. But I think it's important to know what you're getting into and make sure that it's really the right place for you.
The OP has apparently decided to ignore this thread ... he/she hasn't answered any questions for more than 2 weeks. Very odd when his/her choices were Maine -- or California or Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or