U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 AM

51 posts, read 107,238 times

Advertisements

Hoping to make a move to maine sometime in the next year.
I am a young female who will be moving from Long Island. I am almost done with my bachelors in health information management and will be looking g for a job at a hospital.

I was just looking for any advice from people who live there or have moved there. Are you happy there? What are some of the best things about maine?!

I am interested in the kennebunkport or cape elizabeth area!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 08:15 AM

1,910 posts, read 4,623,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaab21 View Post
Hoping to make a move to maine sometime in the next year.
I am a young female who will be moving from Long Island. I am almost done with my bachelors in health information management and will be looking g for a job at a hospital.

I was just looking for any advice from people who live there or have moved there. Are you happy there? What are some of the best things about maine?!

I grew up on Long Island and came to Maine as a summer camp kid for my teenage years. I went to college here and 35 years later am still here. I would never go back, I haven't been there since 2000 and that was for a wedding at the Hampton's. I still root hard for the Mets and Jets, but can do that from here with the Internet. The world is lot smaller than it used to be. I live in the Portland area and an 11 mile commute for is 21 minutes. My mother used to sit on the Long Island Expressway to make a similar commute and it took 2 to 3 times as long.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:05 AM

18,560 posts, read 22,358,418 times
Quote:
We moved here from the West Coast, and I work with a bunch of former Long Islanders. We all love Maine.

Best things about Maine:

The seasons. We get 3 very distinct seasons: Autumn, which is Norman Rockwell perfect. Winter, which is a real winter. Summer, which is really pleasant for weeks, and rather muggy and too hot from about mid-July to late August. And then in a good year we'll have a spring, which is truly glorious. We've had one this year. Pleasant temperatures with frequent rain. But some years, we have snow on the ground in March, and it's pushing 85 degrees by early April.

The lack of crowds. I have an 18 mile commute. Unless I hit all the red lights, it takes me 18 minutes to get from my kids' bus stop to my office. If I hit the lights, it might take 25. My 15 mile commute in the Seattle area would take 45 minutes on a good day, and there were times it took over 90 minutes.

The people. You will eventually run into the cranky Yankee, but they are very few and very far between, and most of them are over age 60. Mainers are friendly, helpful, generous, and completely lack pretention. It's a great improvement from West Coast yuppiedum where everyone is judged by their Prius or the brand of coffee they drink.

Maine itself is a wonder. The jagged coastline. Clean beaches. The lakes and forests. The clean air. I can't emphasize that enough. It's great to be able to go outside to breathe and not get a lungful of exhaust fumes.

My only regret about moving to Maine is that I didn't do it 10 years earlier.

Quote:
I've only driven through those areas. Sorry. But both seem like nice towns.

Keep in mind that most towns Portland southward are pretty much solid city all the way into Boston. You're never really out of town. If that's what you like, you'll love it. If you like being able to get into the country fairly quickly, you'll want to look north of Portland.

Making a living in Maine isn't easy, but the health care field is definitely one of the healthier fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or