U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:41 AM

89 posts, read 93,737 times

Advertisements

My husband's interview went really well yesterday. Fingers and toes are crossed. I am finding it hard to concentrate on anything! I am so thrilled at the prospect of moving to Maine and getting the hell out of the South!!! I'm just trying not to get my hopes up too high but if this job doesn't work out, I think we've decided to move anyway as my husband feels pretty secure in his current job where he telecommutes. It just might be next spring rather than this fall!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 AM

32,024 posts, read 52,164,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandart View Post
My husband's interview went really well yesterday. Fingers and toes are crossed. I am finding it hard to concentrate on anything! I am so thrilled at the prospect of moving to Maine and getting the hell out of the South!!! I'm just trying not to get my hopes up too high but if this job doesn't work out, I think we've decided to move anyway as my husband feels pretty secure in his current job where he telecommutes. It just might be next spring rather than this fall!
Congratulations

Old 08-04-2014, 01:25 PM

894 posts, read 1,072,333 times
We moved to the area a year ago from Michigan and got our apartment in South Portland since we were moving on short notice and didn't have much time to look around, so we just took the first thing that we could find in our price range.

But after being here a year and having started to look for houses all over the area (Gorham, Buxton, Scarborough, Westbrook, South Portland, and Portland) we've decided that South Portland is the best, so that's where we are also looking to stay permanently!

Just beware that Maine is a lot more expensive than most other states. Groceries, gas, and things like that are all a bit more here compared to the Midwest (probably the South as well), and it adds up.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:45 PM

248 posts, read 636,620 times
My husband and I, Maine natives, lived in Scarborough before moving to the south. We have been here for 11 years. I am ready to come home. It is quite discouraging, though, to see the price of homes up there compared to what we paid in the south.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 PM

10 posts, read 11,374 times
Here's the deal on South Portland. I grew up there and it has quick access to all that Portland has to offer. It's a middle class town where residents are proud of they're community and have pride of ownership. There are absolutely no blighted areas. Much of it is surrounded by ocean and there are beautiful park areas, lighthouses and all. South Portland is the second largest oil port on the eastern seaboard, so you are frequently in view of an oil tank or two, especially on the bridge to Portland. Crime rates are among the lowest in the country. People are courteous, as are Mainers in general. The problem is there is usually a low inventory of homes due to the demand in the greater Portland Area. I heard on tv once that there are four places you should see in the world…space, the Great Barrier Reef, The Grand Canyon, and Portland, Maine. Go figure. The governor is Republican and quite conservative. Maine is very provincial and goes its own way in the fields of art, business, medicine and is not a satellite area of Boston, as you might find in other metro areas. Portland is probably the most cosmopolitan small city in the country. We have everything form of community activity from sports to opera with no need to travel to Boston, which is 2 hours away. Gorham is largely rural with new housing development but has a small town feel. Westbrook is an old mill town with more affordable housing. It is a major auto transportation route with a major commuting road going through town. The housing stock is on the old side and not as attractive as surrounding towns. Saco is a multifaceted suburb on the heavily travelled Rt 1, especially during the summer months with vacationers accessing area beaches. It is also an old New England mill town. If you can be patient and wait for a nice home in South Portland I don't think you would be disappointed. Or if you have the bucks, Cape Elizabeth is a very pleasant place while still only minutes to Portland. Also, the largest mall in Maine is located in SoPo. If you move here please enjoy the robust art scene and bring your poop scoop bag!

Old 08-18-2014, 02:18 PM

Well, my husband didn't get the job after all. The recruiter said he had the better resume, (probably a bit over-qualified, he's an IT manager and this wasn't a management position) but the company went with a local guy who came in at the last minute. We're pretty disappointed, but will be moving forward with getting our house ready to sell and just hope something else comes along. We hope to get up there for a vacation this fall! Thanks everybody for all the good info.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 AM

234 posts, read 300,753 times
There are no shortage of IT and/or IT management jobs in the Portland area, in fact my company just hired an IT Manager a couple of months ago. I assume he is checking the "large" job searching sites so I'd recommend trying our local job searching site - Jobs in Maine. I don't think I'm allowed to link here but you can Google it.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:23 PM

Thank you, HighTechRocker!! I had already sent him the Jobs in Maine link, but I'll remind him to set up an account for alerts. If you think of anything else helpful, it would be very appreciated! He's an EDI manager, so I hope those positions aren't too uncommon.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 PM

18,562 posts, read 22,358,418 times
You can also get job alerts sent directly to your email from Indeed. You can stipulate an area, keyword, or any number of criteria.

JobsinME.com is a great site, but the only things on there are openings that employers have posted there. That said, their coverage is very, very good.

But Indeed.com covers listings from many different places.

And if your heart is set on a particular area, be sure to keep a close eye on the Help Wanted sections in their local classifieds. Lots and lots of small businesses in Maine still post job announcements in the local classifieds.

But HighTechRocker is right. IT is an in-demand profession. Keep looking and something will come up eventually.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 PM

Thanks Mark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or