U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:47 PM

154 posts, read 157,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesforever View Post
Buyers Market??? Are you serious??? There is nothing for sale, what is is not that nice, and is super expensive!
Listen I'm not going to say this to be unkind, on the contrary I'd like to save you some grief. Every time I've seen you post everything points to the fact you will be MISERABLE in Maine. I know you mentioned your husband is moving here for work, but I have to ask is there any other option? You mention he has a great new job but you need to weigh whether you'd want a good job now in a place you'll hate and have nothing that interests you, or wait a little longer and find someplace you want to be. I just think you'd save yourself a truckload of grief by asking him to reconsider.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 06:08 PM

810 posts, read 1,995,109 times
Portland is expensive. You gotta pay to play. That said, there are many nice places for sale in the area, and plenty for sale outside of Portland.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:21 PM

234 posts, read 300,807 times
Portland is pretty affordable compared to the similar cities in the other northern New England states: Burlington, VT and especially Portsmouth, NH. In my opinion, Portland has more to offer than both as well. Portsmouth, NH would be a close call if it weren't 25% more expensive.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRocker View Post
Portland is pretty affordable compared to the similar cities in the other northern New England states: Burlington, VT and especially Portsmouth, NH. In my opinion, Portland has more to offer than both as well. Portsmouth, NH would be a close call if it weren't 25% more expensive.
True. I was stating that it was expensive in what Blueskies was looking for. There are plenty of nice houses on the market well under the cost of a smaller downtown condo. Portland in really a combination of two housing markets: the condo/home on the peninsula market, and the off peninsula everything else market.

I recently purchased land outside of Portland to build a house so I can move on from my in town condo lifestyle. It'll be a big change, but I want to be able to do more activities outside. Plus, I can get back my privacy.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:47 PM

631 posts, read 622,609 times
Quote:
Buyers Market??? Are you serious??? There is nothing for sale, what is is not that nice, and is super expensive!
Use realtor.com and zillow.com. 1hr commute give or take and everything is inexpensive.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:26 PM

73 posts, read 96,876 times
A 1hr commute is a quality of life issue that is unacceptable!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:14 AM

234 posts, read 300,807 times
Quote:
A 1hr commute is a quality of life issue that is unacceptable!
Right. Have you ever heard of New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington DC, Phoenix, Atlanta, etc? What is *your* work commute currently?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:46 AM

9,286 posts, read 17,326,904 times
Quote:
A 1hr commute is a quality of life issue that is unacceptable to me!
There, I fixed that for you. It really is a matter of preference. I commute over an hour each way by train. It's one of my favorite parts of the day. During the morning segment, I relax with my coffee and read or catch up on shows on my iPad. On the afternoon segment, I do the same or even take a nap. It's my quiet time and I wouldn't trade it for a 10-15 minute drive to work anywhere.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:06 PM

I am building a house outside of Portland. My commute will become 30 minutes each way. I look forward to having some unwind-in-the-truck drive time. Plus, I won't have to waste time trying to find a place to park.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:03 PM

348 posts, read 327,695 times
My dad used to commute an hour each way to work when I was a kid. We lived in Missouri in the country. To him, having neighbours all up in his business or waking up to that beautiful view being destroyed by a development was "unacceptable", so he bought a farm in the country and he chose to commute an hour instead.
It's a matter of preference.

Edited to add that this was an hour of drive time - longer in the winter. He used to throw chains on the tires in winter so he could still get to work. Missouri used to have some nasty snowstorms.

-T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or