Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM

341 posts, read 672,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
high demand for Portland rentals

my son lives in Portland, going to college and sharing a place with two other students

look on maine craiglist, Portland press herald, newspaper, property management companies for rentals
Thank you......just thought everything out of Boston would be a cake walk.....................NOT necessarily tho.
Also, as rule of thumb, most likely OUT of city, like So. Portland etc is cheaper and you get more for your money......but I do not have a car at the moment and must walk or bus to Maine Med. Cnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
Thank you both for the info..........hard to move into new city (even if it is small), as all cities have their "sections"..............can you tell me;

1. What is down the "hill", up the hill??? Down the hill is not good area, but what hill are you talking about?
Munjoy Hill is the hill. On top and/or toward the water is up hill. Down hill is toward Bayside (the neighborhood between Franklin Street and Washington Ave roughly.)

Quote:
2. Is the West End crowded with student from University of So. Maine....other side of 295?? I am middle aged and do not want to be around tons of college students.............

Thanks
There are all types in the West End. There is no specific college area in Portland. You may find a group of houses with college kids right next to each other, but that can change as quickly as the semesters do.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,757 times
I wouldn't describe the Saint John Valley neighborhood (aka The Valley) as being run down. A lot of cool things are happening there and in the planning stage. Plus property and rentals are still very affordable, unlike a few short blocks away in the West End. The West End is beautiful for sure but if you are looking for a great deal in a safe area next to Maine Med and the Arts District, don't be fooled by it's "run downed" appearance, this neighborhood is great and will only get better in the near future.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:41 PM

177 posts, read 408,183 times
The West End is your best bet. The top of the hill is the western promenade. You go from having gourmet cafes and million dollar historic mansions on top of the hill to stores like Save-a-lot and pawn shops at the bottom of the hill, near St. John.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:30 PM

234 posts, read 360,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneric13 View Post
The West End is your best bet. The top of the hill is the western promenade. You go from having gourmet cafes and million dollar historic mansions on top of the hill to stores like Save-a-lot and pawn shops at the bottom of the hill, near St. John.
No one is going to live in Union Station. This neighborhood has some of the best food in town: Saeng Thai, Pizza Villa, Salvage BBQ, Taqueria Tequilia, Huong's, Kim's, etc. It's also the last bastion of "affordable" (by Portland standards) property on the peninsula without being super gritty.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 PM

In all honesty, it is a buyer's market right now. It is cheaper to buy a place than to rent. This, of course, is if you have a 20% down payment.

Still, I wouldn't want to live near St. John Street. It isn't horrible, but it isn't great either. I work between St. John and Valley. It is getting better, and will probably be great in ten years. Stick to the West End. Good deals are still around if you search.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:15 AM

234 posts, read 360,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
In all honesty, it is a buyer's market right now. It is cheaper to buy a place than to rent. This, of course, is if you have a 20% down payment.

Still, I wouldn't want to live near St. John Street. It isn't horrible, but it isn't great either. I work between St. John and Valley. It is getting better, and will probably be great in ten years. Stick to the West End. Good deals are still around if you search.
If you happen to work at AdvancePierre, say hi to Casey Bowden and Rich O'Connor for me!

In the west end, $175,000-200,000 might get you a 600 sq ft, 1 bed, 1 bath condo. Here, $50,000-$75,000 less can get you twice as much. It won't last though.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:30 PM

177 posts, read 408,183 times
I really do like Pizza Villa.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRocker View Post
If you happen to work at AdvancePierre, say hi to Casey Bowden and Rich O'Connor for me!

In the west end, $175,000-200,000 might get you a 600 sq ft, 1 bed, 1 bath condo. Here, $50,000-$75,000 less can get you twice as much. It won't last though.
Sorry, but I don't work for AdvancePierre. The condo market in Portland is hot right now, and the prices are pretty stable. We bought our 1 bed, 1 bath condo for $160 4 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneric13 View Post
I really do like Pizza Villa.
Pizza Villa is great.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 AM

18 posts, read 21,022 times
1. This should give you some idea. The peninsula is where the prices are higher, and both the West End and The East End are hills with a ridge connecting them that is basically Congress Street. Going "down" the hill, so in the westerly direction, i.e. to the mainland, there are a few "undesirable locations", the bottom of the West End being St. John St., and the bottom of the East End being East Bayside. The orange area is the "desirable" parts of town. Maine Med is the red circle.

2. The West End is very diverse. Maine Med employees, college students, starving artists, retirees, families, it's a mix. It's also a little too pricey to attract a large amount of college students.

Last edited by fredmeissner; 04-13-2015 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Added "too" before pricey to reduce confusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area