Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:06 PM

155 posts, read 196,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
Thank you......just thought everything out of Boston would be a cake walk.....................NOT necessarily tho.
Also, as rule of thumb, most likely OUT of city, like So. Portland etc is cheaper and you get more for your money......but I do not have a car at the moment and must walk or bus to Maine Med. Cnt.
A car is pretty much required in Maine, even in Portland. Yes Portland has a vague public transportation system, but it's really geared toward (the schedule and destinations) more the tourist crowd or the "once a week getting to the grocery store/mall/doctor's appointment" types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 09:59 AM

341 posts, read 672,013 times
Thanks...so I learned the hard way..

Old 05-03-2015, 10:05 AM

404 posts, read 777,603 times
So Rhapsodie, I see this thread started back in 2014 and then got resurrected. It tends to happen around here since our activity is pretty lite. The question is did you move here yet? or are you in boston or LA.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:53 AM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
A car is pretty much required in Maine, even in Portland. Yes Portland has a vague public transportation system, but it's really geared toward (the schedule and destinations) more the tourist crowd or the "once a week getting to the grocery store/mall/doctor's appointment" types.
I don't agree with this at all. Many people ride Metro in Portland. Metro has over 100,000 riders a month, and that number is growing. The routes are being tweaked to be more user friendly, and to provide better access to vital areas in Portland. This August will see a roll out of new Sunday service, and some heavily adjusted schedules. This will create a more accurate service, and there will also be a new website for passengers that will allow them to track the buses in real time. There will also be apps available to locate your bus, new shelters, new bus stop destination signs, and Freeport service in the spring.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:43 PM

341 posts, read 672,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
So Rhapsodie, I see this thread started back in 2014 and then got resurrected. It tends to happen around here since our activity is pretty lite. The question is did you move here yet? or are you in boston or LA.
Dear Atrixwolfe;

Thanks for asking....lol.....yes I started post last summer,,,,,I am going to sell house in CA and move to Maine .....coming back again to look around in June.....I have much work to do.....

Old 05-04-2015, 06:24 AM

234 posts, read 359,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I don't agree with this at all. Many people ride Metro in Portland. Metro has over 100,000 riders a month, and that number is growing. The routes are being tweaked to be more user friendly, and to provide better access to vital areas in Portland. This August will see a roll out of new Sunday service, and some heavily adjusted schedules. This will create a more accurate service, and there will also be a new website for passengers that will allow them to track the buses in real time. There will also be apps available to locate your bus, new shelters, new bus stop destination signs, and Freeport service in the spring.
So that's where you work between Valley and St. John

Old 05-05-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRocker View Post
So that's where you work between Valley and St. John
Not only do I work there, but I have been putting in many long hours to build a better bus system for the public. Change can be slow when it involves federal, state, and various municipalities, but it is happening. Unfortunately, Metro has a long standing reputation that hinders its growth. That rep is often spread by people that do not use (or understand) the system. We are working very hard to remove that stigma, and create a system that sees continuous improvement year after year. There are big improvements coming this August.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:20 PM

155 posts, read 196,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Not only do I work there, but I have been putting in many long hours to build a better bus system for the public. Change can be slow when it involves federal, state, and various municipalities, but it is happening. Unfortunately, Metro has a long standing reputation that hinders its growth. That rep is often spread by people that do not use (or understand) the system. We are working very hard to remove that stigma, and create a system that sees continuous improvement year after year. There are big improvements coming this August.
So... you don't agree with me but then you basically admit it's not that good yet and has a reputation for being unreliable?

Old 05-09-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
So... you don't agree with me but then you basically admit it's not that good yet and has a reputation for being unreliable?
Incorrect. You stated that one needs a car to live in Portland, and that Metro is geared towards tourists.

There is a large population on people in Portland that don't have cars. My gf is one of them. They rely on the bus to get around, and have done so for years.

Metro does not have a single route that is geared toward tourists. This is not how public transit works. Being a quasi governmental agency means that we cannot aim our services at people who don't live in the Greater Portland area. Tourists make up a very small portion of our ridership.

Further more, I stated that Metro does not have the best reputation. I did not state what that reputation was. There are many residents that depend on us on a daily basis. Many of these folks like our service. We get plenty of compliments to back this up. However, like any business, we also get complaints. Our route structure is outdated. We are making adjustments to better suit the current population. This means a lot of research must be conducted to be sure that we are making changes that benefit our ridership. For example, we rolled out a revamped Route 1 bus a little while ago. We standardized the times, we added access to the PTC, and we expanded service to Munjoy Hill at night. This has been a great success for us. These types of changes are being pushed onto the other routes.

And nowhere did I say that Metro was unreliable.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:07 PM

73 posts, read 114,470 times
Buyers Market??? Are you serious??? There is nothing for sale, what is is not that nice, and is super expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area