U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 12:13 AM

225 posts, read 294,530 times

Advertisements

I rent a room in a single-family house. There is also another roommate. The landlord (homeowner) also lives here.

We started with a written "roommate" agreement which includes all utilities .. it is quite detailed .. I have a 12-month rent guarantee, and also we have the right to break the agreement with 30 days notice ... and to get the security deposit back.

Problems started in the winter, because my room was colder than anywhere else in the house. I had to put in a space heater ... she had two other space heaters and for several days during the month, we relied on them because she would run out of oil.

She has entered my private room to "check to see if things were unplugged and turned off" while I wasn't home. My room has a key; she also has one; she enters as she chooses, including one time when her "turning things off" resulted in things becoming "unprogrammed" because of the way I had them set up.

She complains that I keep my door closed, that I'm not being "social." She keeps the air conditioning on in the house while my room is roasting hot, and doesn't tell me it's on. So, she's running the a/c and my windows are open and the fan is blowing in the back of the house.

When I open my door, I get unwelcomed visits from her cat (and the cat from the other roommate). My cat doesn't leave my room.

She complains that we don't unplug outlets when things are turned off in the house (not just or rooms). She refuses to allow the front porch light to be turned on at night because it uses electricity. She claims her "electricity jumped $75" in one month ... so she has not told us we can't use the dishwasher and we can only use one towel when we take showers.

Our rent is each $550 .... I believe her entire mortgage is $400 something ... Everything around here is communicated in "notes" which are left around the house .. as well as PMs through FB .... and she comes to me to complain about the other roommate.

She doesn't know the slightest thing about boundaries or home maintenance, or budgeting. I believe she is holding us responsible for "her" electricity usage because my rent more than covers anything I'm doing.

I'd like to get out of this lease, but I would like to show that I am within my rights. I don't think I have a problem if I give her 30 days notice, but is there anything else I can do? I also don't think the house is up to code, and I don't know if she has (or requires) permission to rent out rooms in this place.

She tried to change the roommate agreement one month into it, and I refused; she wanted us to agree that if anyone got hurt in the house, we wouldn't sue her. I also don't believe she's keeping up with her bills, and I don't know what they actually are.

Any advise?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 03:14 PM

470 posts, read 1,717,521 times
Rights of Tenants in Maine | Pine Tree Legal Assistance

If you feel the need, you may have to use small claims court to settle this.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:31 PM

40,177 posts, read 19,590,779 times
I would start looking for other accommodations immediately; if your situation is intolerable....MOVE. Isnt this the third time you have posted the same story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or