Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 AM

17 posts, read 56,764 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking to move to Portland, ME sight unseen and I was interested if anyone had any information about the studios in the Trelawny Building at 658 Congress Street. I love the location but I am surprised that I see the unit keep popping up. It worries me a bit.

Also, if anyone had any dealings with Kay at Apartment Mart I would appreciate their opinions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 AM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
^Have you called Kay? She barely speaks English which makes it difficult to communicate. We viewed some of her apartments which weren't bad, but they weren't as nice as advertised which is why the prices were so low. Depending on the unit, there may be a number of additional "fees" beyond rent and utilities (trash removal, water, and anything else they can nickel and dime you on).

As far as that building goes, I haven't seen inside of it. It's right at Congress and State which is one of Portland's busiest intersections. It's not a bad area at all. It's sort of the beginning of downtown along "Main St. Portland" (Congress Street). You'll see some panhandlers but you can walk to almost everything from there. It's not a bad location at all.

My advice would be to ask about what additional fees are and tell her to be specific. Many of the property management groups in Portland have prices that look as good (or better) than the rest until you see what's included in rent. I walked away from a number of apartments because after I found out about the wonderful rent rate, I learned about the extra $100-150/mo I'd be paying for utilities and garbage removal (or surcharges for things such as a large TV, AC, Computer, etc). You may be able to find a better deal out there, but it can't hurt to look.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 AM

Nice info irfox. I have not spoken to Kay yet, and glad I did not after the hearing about the fees I might encounter. I will call her and post what I find out.

Thanks again.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 AM

Well, Kay was on vacation, but the woman I spoke with said there were no other fees, just a straigt $575 a month. And she said other units were available. But what is really frustrating me is that most places in Portland want three months rent to move in. Which is pretty hard to do when you are on disability.

Time to mull it over...

Old 09-17-2010, 10:03 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
I wonder if some would consider accepting first and security upfront and then taking payments on the last month's rent? They have to know that in this economy it is very difficult to come up with a large chunk of change like that. It never hurts to ask, and if you show them that you receive disability then at least they know you have a regular source of money.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Meanwhile just down State Street from Congress street:

One man stabbed in early morning robbery | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Good idea Lawmom, I will ask them about that.

Regarding the assault down the block...well, most times I find that people who are out at 4:40 in the morning are doing things that I do not do, so I feel that crime rate does not pertain to me. :^) But that story cracked me up. Who here knows what "being hit on the back of the head with the butt of a gun" feels like to be able to describe it to the police. Ha!

Old 09-17-2010, 11:49 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
WanderSage, I will have to take a look at the building next time I walk that way. I myself wouldn't necessarily want to live right on Congress St., but it would be a convenient location to live. Do you have a car? Parking might be an issue unless there is a spot included.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:56 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingSage View Post

Regarding the assault down the block...well, most times I find that people who are out at 4:40 in the morning are doing things that I do not do, so I feel that crime rate does not pertain to me. :^) But that story cracked me up. Who here knows what "being hit on the back of the head with the butt of a gun" feels like to be able to describe it to the police. Ha!
Not necessarily...when I worked in Portland's Old Port area I had to be to work at 4:00AM! It was sometimes a challenge to avoid the regular bums hanging out where I worked. I had to call the police on them for harrassing me and refusing to leave the property on several occasions. Glad I was never more than just verbally assaulted!
Glad you got such a chuckle out of a story concerning a stabbing and an assault. I'm not one to crack up at someone else being hit in the head with anything or knifed!! Anyone walking the streets at 4:30 AM DESERVES to be assaulted and knifed I guess!!??

Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingSage View Post
It's actually a REALLY good idea since it is difficult for many people to do three months rent at once. You mentioned that it seems that this particular unit keeps popping up. I'm guessing that it's probably the result of the rough economy. I'd imagine that they'd be willing to work with you. I only ever paid first and security in Portland (total of two months rent), never all three.

Regarding the crime:

Portland's a tiny urban area but it's an urban area no less and your apartment is right in the center of it. As a result, you will occasionally see headlines like that. I don't think most crimes are random and never experienced such things in Portland myself (I lived in the "bad" neighborhoods). Common sense can help you avoid most unfavorable situations. Portland's crime rate isn't that bad and people survive quite easily in much more dangerous cities.

I'm also glad to hear about the fees. Next time you talk to her I would see what she had for an estimate on utilities. We paid around $100/mo for cable and internet (no frills services either). Small things like how the building is heated (natural gas v. oil v. dreaded electric) and whether or not the hot water tank is electric (VERY expensive) or on the gas/oil line can make a difference. If there is no garbage removal fee, you may need city trash bags which will cost you a little extra (not unreasonable though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area