Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:15 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesM View Post
None of that hampers my decision to relocate to Maine
I would not wish to hamper anyone from migrating to Maine.

Since you are thinking about moving to Maine, what you do for a living might be more relevant to the topic. Arriving in Maine, will you be seeking employment?

For many years there has been a shortage of jobs in Maine. If you had a job lined-up before you moved here, that would more likely lead to a successful move.

Quote:
... Jessica Fletcher's Cabott Cove? I know Bar Harbor's a real place they always referenced - was it filmed up there?
It was filmed in Mendocino, California. I lived near there for a few years.

Quote:
... I definitely understand about stereotypes. In high school, New England towns, as far as I was concerned (from tv/movies) were overflowing with elderly witch covens who made nice with yuppy tourists only to steal their babies. It made me terrified of anyone over 50 lol.

I'm originally from Louisiana and there is always that one stereotype that grates my nerves because it's so ridiculously false ...
We do need to watch that stereotypes do not cause us to be overly biased in our dealings with others.

Quote:
... Still, from studying the forums and various blogs, sites, and news feeds Maine is exactly the sort of place I want to live. I think my problem will be finding a spot - they all seem fantastic.
If you do move to Maine, I suggest that you rent your first year. It gives you a home base, from which you can explore the rest of the state. Then, later if you find another place that is better suited to your needs, you can move a year later into your permanent home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Murder She Wrote was a bit before my time, but from the one or two episodes I managed to catch at my grandparents house, it did not remind me even a little of Maine. More northern California.

As far as movies, the best representation of smalltown Maine life I have seen is the HBO movie Empire Falls. Not a great movie, but they did really nail the feel of a smalltown Maine life.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 AM

25 posts, read 69,830 times
Wow...so everything Maine is a lie! That's crazy, they filmed MSW in California. I feel so betrayed.

As for work, I'll be bringing my own and having to revamp it a bit. I publish a monthly newspaper and do work off ad sales. I do a few other things but I'm not opposed to working somewhere as long as I can meet the managers/owners face to face. Old school.

I'd definitely want to rent but I have no idea where to look, or start looking to find places to rent. How would I go about finding rentals that are affordable, cat and teen friendly, in a safe part of town, and not 3 grand a month. Or even a grand for that matter

Old 10-07-2014, 10:07 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesM View Post
Wow...so everything Maine is a lie! That's crazy, they filmed MSW in California. I feel so betrayed.
That is not so much a 'Maine' issue but a 'Hollywood' issue.

I recently did some snooping around, and I found that there is a 'reality' show filmed partly in Maine. 'DownEast Dickering' looks to have some parts filmed here. I have never watched it.

Quote:
... I'd definitely want to rent but I have no idea where to look, or start looking to find places to rent. How would I go about finding rentals that are affordable, cat and teen friendly, in a safe part of town, and not 3 grand a month. Or even a grand for that matter
That is certainly possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area