Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Maine: Portland, 4 seasons, children, buy a home, agent.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,706 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
we're looking into moving by the end of the year and one of the options is portland. obviously, we don't know anything about portland. i have lived in places with 4 seasons but it has been almost 9 years since i haven't really experienced real winter. We have two small children. I am wondering whether portland would be a good fit for us, hoping by then I will learn how to drive in snow
a few things that concern me after reading almost all of the threads:
-the black flies. . .one of my daughters gets huge bumps from a mesquito (sp?) bite. I am wondering about these black flies a few of the posters have talked about. Deet wouldn't be an option because she is less than 4 years old. Are they really bad? would their presence disrupt a kids game in the backyard?
-winters. . .how bad are they? does it snow enough for us to be able to go outside and play in snow, or does it become impossible to do that?
-schools are or would become important, which towns near portland (driving distance) have great schools and if you name any do you know if a nice home could be purchased with 450,000-500,000 (as i am typing this i am choking. so much money grrr)
-pedophiles (i can't really get much into it as i am petrified of the thought of living somewhere, where the number of registered sex offenders is high. is there a way to find out about this issue?)
the coast...do you guys get to go to the beach? hubby seems to think that it's just there for postcards and that beaches in maine aren't for going to. please say it isn't so
a friend of mine who knew someone from maine a few years back seems to remember this maine person saying you have to leave the cars running all night so they don't freeze. true not true?
and anything you can tell me about living in the area.
really, anything.
a bit about us...none of us is really into big city, big place. we spend a lot of time at parks and libraries. everything in our lives evolves around our children. a house with a nice size backyard is important. safety, good education, and a good quality life are also important. that is why i am stressing so much about making a decision which we will have to live with for a few years.
thanks to anyone who will take the time to respond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
First off, Maine is the safest state according to the FBI.

We have antifreeze now. Your car will start.

In the country the black flies can be a real nuisance around the end of June. Use Avon Skin so Soft on the kids. Black flies hate it. There are virtually no black flies in Portland. They are most common near a clean rushing brook.

We have real winters. Bundle up, get outdoors and enjoy it. Get good tires on your vehicle. Winterforce are the very best.

Maine has the best schools in the country. No brag, just fact.

Maine's beaches are the "Canadian Riviera". You'll like the water around August 20. Don't miss it. The kids will like it all summer.

You can buy a very nice home here for about half your budget price. If you blow your whole budget you can buy a home in Falmouth.

Every kid should have the opportunity to grow up in Maine. You can look up the sexual predator data base by town on line. I think that about covers it.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:05 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,226,483 times
Hi vlorak, welcome to the forum. Wow, there are some real stereotypes in your post, as NMLM has pontificated above, most are absolutely untrue.

You will probably want to focus on a neighborhood/sub-division close to the coast to avoid black flies where mosquitos become a problem only at dusk. If you choose to work with a Buyer Agent he/she can point out areas to avoid (detention ponds, standing water, etc.) A screen porch might also be an important addition to the house you buy.

There are sources on the web to look up sex offenders and school systems and I always recommend that my buyers look at them carefully. There are many posts on this forum discussing school systems - and your Buyer's Agent can take you to visit those schools, most are very anxious to "recruit" new students. We have had an unusual amount of snow this year, the Portland area normally gets about 70 inches, plenty to build snowmen and igloos. The beaches are packed in the summer, when it's in the upper 80s and humid inland, a cool sea breeze can do wonders. The ocean is cold - but it doesn't seem to bother little kids. Most homes in your price range will have 2 car garages with automatic openers and direct entry to living and many are heated.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:29 AM

Gee. Nobody ever called ma a pontiff before.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 AM

455 posts, read 1,229,049 times
Welcome. I too am leaving Florida to return to Maine after 20 years. Most of the things you read about the Black flies, sex preditors etc are a bit exagerated. Like florida and saying that EVERYONE is a redneck or the mosquitos being as big as a bird. I was born and raised in Southern Maine and I do believe you will just love it. My children were raised there and still live there and have grown to be wonderful men, that are raising thier children there. Every child should be so lucky as to be raised in Maine. I do believe you will be very pleased with the decrease in crime on any kind in comparison to Florida. I can't wait to get back home. Hope all works out well for you with your move.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
I'm not from the Portland area but, in my opinion Maine is a great place for kids. Gym class just might include a trail walk in snowshoes. A young man we know did a course on "winter camping" and another on emergency survival in school. I went by the elementary school the other day, the kids at recess were having a ball "sledding" in their ski pants in the schoolyard. After spending a short time living in a lousy area of a bigger city in Massachusetts, I notice the differance in teens. Their attitude is completely differant here. Not that they don't have attitudes as teens. It's just not the same. There is so much to do,.. encourage outdoor activities, host a bonfire for your kids friends. Smaller kids love to be outside, build a snowfort, build them a small playhouse or treehouse, take them fishing. It's lifestyle. In Maine, kids and pets are welcome.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:58 AM

In our junior high all kids take a unit of survival. They learn map and compass and how to get out of the weather in a survival situation. They learn to build a fire in the rain. Every kid accumulates a survival kit. Some of these kids come to school by snowmobile in winter. The bus drops them off and the driver makes sure the kid's snowmobile starts before the bus pulls away.

Our high school has two unusual requirements. Before a kids graduate they must climb Maine's highest mountain and learn to swim. Most swim across the lake. It comes in handy. When I went through flight training we had to swim across Pensacola Bay in Florida - in a flight suit. That takes a while.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:32 AM

38 posts, read 148,786 times
Default Some info

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
Hi everybody,
we're looking into moving by the end of the year and one of the options is portland. obviously, we don't know anything about portland. i have lived in places with 4 seasons but it has been almost 9 years since i haven't really experienced real winter. We have two small children. I am wondering whether portland would be a good fit for us, hoping by then I will learn how to drive in snow
a few things that concern me after reading almost all of the threads:
-the black flies. . .one of my daughters gets huge bumps from a mesquito (sp?) bite. I am wondering about these black flies a few of the posters have talked about. Deet wouldn't be an option because she is less than 4 years old. Are they really bad? would their presence disrupt a kids game in the backyard?
-winters. . .how bad are they? does it snow enough for us to be able to go outside and play in snow, or does it become impossible to do that?
-schools are or would become important, which towns near portland (driving distance) have great schools and if you name any do you know if a nice home could be purchased with 450,000-500,000 (as i am typing this i am choking. so much money grrr)
-pedophiles (i can't really get much into it as i am petrified of the thought of living somewhere, where the number of registered sex offenders is high. is there a way to find out about this issue?)
the coast...do you guys get to go to the beach? hubby seems to think that it's just there for postcards and that beaches in maine aren't for going to. please say it isn't so
a friend of mine who knew someone from maine a few years back seems to remember this maine person saying you have to leave the cars running all night so they don't freeze. true not true?
and anything you can tell me about living in the area.
really, anything.
a bit about us...none of us is really into big city, big place. we spend a lot of time at parks and libraries. everything in our lives evolves around our children. a house with a nice size backyard is important. safety, good education, and a good quality life are also important. that is why i am stressing so much about making a decision which we will have to live with for a few years.
thanks to anyone who will take the time to respond
My wife and I are also moving to the Portland area sometime in the next year or so. Here is a little bit of what I have found out so far. One place to find out about information on Maine's towns (avg cost of homes, avg Household income, demographics, etc etc) as well as the number of registered sex offenders is at this site Maine Bigger Cities (over 6000 residents) (scroll down a ways--the sex offender info is bolded.).

I am originally from the Northeast, and winters there can be brual at times, other times they have been relatively mild. It changes from year to year. But I would say that from what i've heard you will probably need to update your summer and winter wardrobes some. In general Maine gets a great deal of snow and some very cold winter weather. Also i've read that a 8-10 hp snowblower is a must as well as a good lawnmower. Many of Southern Maine's properties are a few acres in size.

School wise I hear Falmouth and Cape Elizabeth have some of the best schools,but homes there are usually very expensive. Based on your housing budget of $450-$500k i've heard that Gorham, Scarborough and Cumberland are also very nice places to live.

Most of what I've heard so far about Southern Maine has been positive. Good luck!!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,706 times
i really appreciate all the input. i want to apologize if i was stereotyping. i didn't realize i was doing that
after reading the replies, it seems to me maine would be great for my children. it already did just from the fact that it is rural enough and we can get some land with the house. but having a snowman built with and for the kids just makes me smile.
we will make a few trips up there to feel the place and decide.
you guys are the best

Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 PM

406 posts, read 1,655,086 times
I've met a few kids from Maine (mostly early to mid teens)...some of the most polite friendly kids I've ever met.
So somebody must be doing something right.

I'd be surprised if you didn't like it here Vlorak...it's a great area. Look up houses on the MLS, you should be able to get a great house for that much.

Good luck to you! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area