Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:20 PM

426 posts, read 506,041 times

Advertisements

I have found that the Legislature keeps LePage from enacting most, if not all, of his extreme agenda. That includes the Republicans. They seem, except for a few, to know this is not an extreme right wing State or even a Republican state. Obama won this state both times and even after the brief tea party 2010 victory here, when Republicans took over both houses, they really were reasonable. The voter suppression item on the ballot was defeated and the right to register and vote same day in Maine remains. Early voting in Maine is easy. The main impact this Governor has had has been regarding Obamacare. LePage has been successful in not expanding Medicaid, and refused to set up an exchange. The legislature has been unable to override his veto of the Medicaid issue. If the Supreme Court overrules people who live in States without exchanges being able to obtain subsidies, then Mainers will be truly hurt. Maine, even without an exchange, had competition with a Co-op, and many Mainers signed up for Obamacare and are taking advantage of the tax subsidies and now have health care. Gov. Scott Walker in Wisconsin has been able to enact much of his agenda, including right to work last week, but due to our legislature and our citizens, I cannot see it going that way in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 AM

89 posts, read 112,606 times
MassVT- Have to correct you on your understanding of Tourette's. It's pretty offensive to suggest that a neurobiological disorder is just speaking before you think. It's a neurological disorder, as is Parkinson's, etc. Faulty "wiring, chemical messengers" send orders to muscles, including vocal cords, to act and the urges are very difficult to resist. Like trying to avoid blinking. And the involuntary swearing is a very rare symptom and is Not typical in most people with TS. Sorry, I know you didn't mean to offend, but just wanted to correct that.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
We can talk about voter turnout, moods, philosophy, percentages, campaign spending and the weather on election day until the next gubernatorial election. All that said, Paul LePage got more votes for governor than any other candidate for governor in Maine history and that is a fact.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:37 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
From what I can tell LePage speaks his mind; most Mainers I know respect that even if they don't agree. I don't think he is obsessed with political correctness. lol

Old 03-11-2015, 02:39 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
Yup, and he was voted in to represent everyone in Maine. Not just those that voted for him. A bond issue went through with 60% support, yet he won't allow the funds to be released. I voted for him. My father voted for him. There wasn't much choice when hoping Maine might see an economic turnaround with some effort from Augusta. Yet he spends most of his time playing bully politics. With all that said to the OP, don't let Paul Lepage scare you. Maine's a great place to live.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We can talk about voter turnout, moods, philosophy, percentages, campaign spending and the weather on election day until the next gubernatorial election. All that said, Paul LePage got more votes for governor than any other candidate for governor in Maine history and that is a fact.
Because, without checking, Maine likely has more people, period, right now, than at any other time in its history. So your claim seems pretty dubious, and he's still a loose cannon.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,573 times
The majority of the state govt is liberal and even most conservatives are pretty liberal in comparison to ones in the media today.. or at least were last time I lived up there. Thankfully he can't do a whole lot of damage except make the state look bad to outsiders. I'm proud to be from a state that gives two scents about the environment and children with mental disorders. Taxes are high as heck, jobs can be hard to come by, but for me it is home. Wish you the best of luck if you move up that way. I just got a job up there myself, so I can't wait to move back :-)

Old 03-21-2015, 05:53 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesforever View Post
Hello Everyone,

My family and I visited Maine last week for a job interview and scouting trip. It appears likely that the job will come through, and what we saw, even when the temperature was -11, appeared as though it could work for our family. However, I decided to research a bit about Maine politics, and was not thrilled with what I found out about the Governor. He appears mentally unstable, and that is concerning. I realize he is older, and almost did not run for reelection, and the terms are short, but it appears he has already done a lot of damage in a brief amount of time. How did he get elected? does this bode poorly for the future of Maine? Thank you for your help!
You should definitely move here to Maine, When the Dems finally win back the Blaine house they are going to need alot of "other peoples money" yours included, to start rebuilding there welfare state utopia.

bill

Old 03-21-2015, 08:09 AM

880 posts, read 2,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehiker View Post
The majority of the state govt is liberal and even most conservatives are pretty liberal in comparison to ones in the media today.. or at least were last time I lived up there. Thankfully he can't do a whole lot of damage except make the state look bad to outsiders. I'm proud to be from a state that gives two scents about the environment and children with mental disorders. Taxes are high as heck, jobs can be hard to come by, but for me it is home. Wish you the best of luck if you move up that way. I just got a job up there myself, so I can't wait to move back :-)

It is a shame that LePage won't release the bond money for the environment that was approved by the voters. This could actually cause some serious issues in the state.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:36 AM

162 posts, read 242,233 times
Yes, he is a scary Governor. Voted in by non Cumberland County people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area