Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:46 AM

73 posts, read 114,521 times

Advertisements

But, are hunting and 4 wheeling such a problem in Maine? Those are things I find unpleasant to be around, and things I would never do and would never let my children do. Is there really hunting in the greater Portland area? Are there towns where 4 wheeling is banned, I hope? Also, to give an example of how it really is different, I found a place online called Cape Whoopies, so excited. I wanted to get whoopie pies. I mapped the address and drove there. It is a mail order only business out of someone's house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 06:03 AM

234 posts, read 360,167 times
People typically hunt and go 4 wheeling on their property in every municipality in Maine. We learn these skills during kindergarten so the local populace is quite proficient. Typically these activities do not spill onto other people's properties, but it can happen. Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:17 AM

cutepotato.com is another family friendly resource. People who love nature do not 4 wheel.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:17 AM

177 posts, read 410,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesforever View Post
People who love nature do not 4 wheel.
Yeah, you're gonna do great in Maine

Old 06-08-2015, 06:15 PM

171 posts, read 197,639 times
Quote:
I am not a troll. I went to the Gisland Farm, it was fine and nice, and everyone was nice, but we were there about 45 minutes, and don't feel there is anything to compell a second visit. Portland Children's Museum, my kids are getting kind of old for now, but we went there when we visited, and it might work for an hour once a year, unless they do cool programs. SeaDogs are fine too, but can you really do that more than once? We have done all that kind of thing already with our local farm team, camping overnight on the field, singing before the game, etc., and it is all the same and pretty dull at that. I am super scared by something WhoFanMe said. He said "April-October". Uh-oh....what is there to do to combat cabin fever in November, December, January, February, and March???

I feel as though Submariner is the troll because I don't think he even lives in the Portland area, and he keeps commenting on my posts, and personally insulting me with conjecture, when he knows nothing about me. He also has grown kids, so he is just coming at this with nothing to add, but stirring things up and going off topic. He keeps mentioning crime and density. I have never mentioned anything about these things. I think the crime rate is low in Portland area, and not at all a concern. And, my concerns about density are only that it is too low. Portland is a very small town surrounded by hamlets that tries to have a bit of an urban flair. It is fairly isolated, as it is well over an hour to find a town its size. I feel very sad for him that he has never had the opportunity to live in a very safe, friendly, vibrant, beautiful, concerned, convenient, and active community, with tons of affordable housing and amenities, as well as outstanding public schools with a long track record. I would never leave, except my husband has a very specific career that is not flexible. The schools in Westbrook and South Portland don't cut it, and South Portland did not seem like a family place really, lots of fine single adults or no-kids couples, just not where I am in life right now. Scarborough is the fastest growing town in Maine, and it seems to have some nice amenities, but all the new development and strip malls scare me. Seems kind of like a fancy Leavittown. That is not what anyone moves to Maine for! I am thrilled to hear of all the festivals though. That is great, right up my alley. Is there a central place to hear about them though?

On a positive note, trying to focus on things like Scouts, Campfire, 4-H. Those things seem to have promise. Anyone with insight in these areas, please? Talked with the folks at the Lutheran churches, small, but they are trying....

On another positive note, if Yarmouth, Cape Elizabeth, and Falmouth are truly 90% retirees, then lots of inventory should be available, and I just need to be patient.

I like mountains and lakes, so that is another possibility. Does the beach ever get old? (not such a fan of all the pines, and while I value estuaries, they don't excite me.) I just don't get why there is no village in CE, Yarmouth, or Falmouth. I was expecting white steepled churches, with bells ringing, and doll shops and kite shops and the like, wineries that have acoustic music amongst the grapevines on Friday nights, rivers with rapids to kayak, apple orchards, etc. Kind of like the North end of Boston, where there is a guy who makes custom caps on an antique sewing machine, etc. Open Bench project has some potential, as does woodworking at Maine college of Art, kids music lessons at the University of Southern Maine, and the Y, and maybe I can learn about ship building, and it seems LL Bean is a great asset to the community with its work..... I just have kids who are very active and curious, and so am I, and I am used to being around a deep group of like-minded folks. Maine may have it, but I guess the networking is behind the scenes. I have checked out land trusts, garden clubs, and the junior league. And, there is always Quebec...........

What you're looking for is Fairfield, CT (I specify CT because there's a Fairfield, ME, too) or Boston at a quarter of the price. It doesn't exist. Not anywhere. They call it the "American Dream" because it only exists in your head for the prices you're willing to pay. If you want Fairfield or Boston, you're going to have to pay those prices. Maine is half as expensive because it has half the amenities. (Indoor amenities, anyway).

Why torture Maine posters with your constant "Maine sucks, but why can't I afford it?" routine? Why do you care? Find a small town outside of Boston or Fairfield (probably at least an hour and half) and get used to the fact that you can't afford what you want. It sucks, but you need to face reality. You can, however, put yourself within a reasonable drive for weekend activities. You seem disappointed that you can't get Cape Elizabeth for Rumford prices. Join the club, bub.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:23 PM

I don't want to live in Cape Elizabeth. I could live there, but I don't want to, because it has a teeny library and a Cumberland Farms and that is it. I already live in a place I am perfectly happy with, that has all I want, and it costs less than Cape Elizabeth by a long shot. I don't want to move to Maine at all, but my husband made the mistake of taking a job there. I already am only 90 miles from both Boston and Manhattan, but I rarely feel the need to go there, because there is so much to do where I already live.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:24 PM

I would like to hear more about the 4-wheeling problems in Maine, that is very concerning.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 PM

155 posts, read 196,195 times
Quote:
I don't want to live in Cape Elizabeth. I could live there, but I don't want to, because it has a teeny library and a Cumberland Farms and that is it. I already live in a place I am perfectly happy with, that has all I want, and it costs less than Cape Elizabeth by a long shot. I don't want to move to Maine at all, but my husband made the mistake of taking a job there. I already am only 90 miles from both Boston and Manhattan, but I rarely feel the need to go there, because there is so much to do where I already live.
Hmmm I think I see one mistake you're making. You just consider what a town has in its boundaries as part of that town. Towns in Maine don't really work that way. Town lines mean very little if it's not tax season or election time. Everything in an area tends to blend together so there's more around than you might think. I guess this goes back to the whole "walking downtown" thing you like. I understand, those are nice, but the reality is that's not something that really exists in Maine (despite a very very few places). Maine is very spread out, keep in mind that in terms of area it's about as big as the rest of New England combined and has less than one and a half million people in it.

And what do you mean about four-wheeling "problems?"

Old 06-08-2015, 06:39 PM

You are right, jeremywolf, I do exist much like that blending wise now, but each town still has its own sense of pride and identity as well. The 4-wheeling comment was kind of just in response to the snarky comment someone else made. I just think that they are loud, smoky, tear up trails, and scare wildlife, but I guess that is fine for someone to do far away from civilization. It goes back to the way a teacher I had once summarized personal liberty, "Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins." I just was wondering if it was something that people go off and do in appropriate areas, where I would be unlikely to go, or if there are people who have 4 wheelers and get bored one day and take them for a spin around the neighborhood and such.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:41 PM

Well, then is there a lot of municipal cooperation then? Can you use your library card at any library in Maine and return materials to any library, for example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area