Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 07:12 AM

234 posts, read 360,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesforever View Post
I was just saying that you do not have personal experience in the schools, so you really don't know what you are talking about from personal experience, NeuroDr, and you currently don't have anything vested in it. And really, I am also talking about things like music education, the arts, science, history, extracurriculars etc. Better schools usually can devote more rescources to these things because they aren't spending so much time and effort trying to get kids to learn to read, write, and do basic math. And hightechrocker, some fantastic places to live in CT with outstanding schools, vibrant community, and affordable housing are: Simsbury, CT, Farmington, CT, West Hartford, CT, Canton, CT, Avon, CT Glastonbury, CT, etc. . While they are not "cheap" by any means, there are a lot more options at all price points than there are in Falmouth, Cape Elizabeth, or Yarmouth
You should look in those places, they sound great for you. Hartford is a great city with a bustling downtown until 5PM Monday-Friday when all the suits escape back to their leafy suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 04:51 PM

73 posts, read 114,510 times
Yes, I live here already and I love it, as do my children, we totally don't want to leave. My husband had the misfortune of getting a job in Portland, however. We were hoping we could transfer our current lifestyle there, but that does not seem possible, and now he is locked in. I just can't see paying so much more for housing when we would have such a drop in quality of life. Ironically, people in the Portland area always say that if one gets bored, there is always Boston. Well, we live closer to Boston now than we would if we were in Portland! And, we can also go to Providence, the Berkshires, New York City, the Hudson River Valley, Litchfield County, New Haven, etc. within the same distance or less as well, and have beautiful mountains and rivers within just a few miles of our home for endless hiking and kayaking. Portland is tiny and isolated, so I think the prospects of our being bored are extremely high.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:58 PM

I agree, stay in Hartford. How is North Hartford anyway? Plenty of kid friendly activities?

Old 06-08-2015, 06:16 PM

155 posts, read 196,165 times
You and your husband didn't bother to do any looking into the area at all before he started to apply for a job here? Sounds a little... short-sighted. If I see a job posting in, say, Skokie IL, I'm going to at least put a modicum of effort into finding out whether I'd be miserable there or not before shooting off my resume and doing interviews. I can't imagine what you'd be like had your husband got a job at UMM or UMFK instead. Oh jeez you don't like Portland? Machias or Fort Kent makes Portland look like the most sophisticated parts of Connecticut in comparison.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 PM

Well, I think the difference is that Portland is probably good for a vacation, but living there full time is another matter. I just thought it was going to be more like home than it is. I really thought it was going to be like the rest of New England, but clearly it isn't.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 PM

155 posts, read 196,165 times
Quote:
Well, I think the difference is that Portland is probably good for a vacation, but living there full time is another matter. I just thought it was going to be more like home than it is. I really thought it was going to be like the rest of New England, but clearly it isn't.
My theory was right. People seem to come to Maine with this assumption that "oh it's going to be just like the rest of New England of course." And... well some parts of Portland that's probably a fair enough assumption but for the most part that's very inaccurate. Maine probably has more in common with say the rural Midwest than it does the rest of New England in a lot of ways.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:45 PM

JeremyWolf, you are providing a very valuable service with your polite candor and understanding. You are respectful and sensitive, but also speak your own truth. Maybe YOU should run for Governor of Maine!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:46 PM

Portland is good for a vacation. Hartford is good for a mugging.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:56 PM

HighTechRocker, I can't believe you would dare call ME a troll. I have never felt unsafe in Hartford, nor have I ever been a victim of a crime of any kind. Don't know where you get your information, it's probably about 30 years outdated, and anyway, I don't live in Hartford. Hartford is only a tiny part of what Central CT is about. Hartford could be erased from the map tomorrow and it would not make a much of a difference, because the other areas grew up around it, and developed on their own.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
HighTechRocker, I can't believe you would dare call ME a troll. I have never felt unsafe in Hartford, nor have I ever been a victim of a crime of any kind. Don't know where you get your information, it's probably about 30 years outdated, and anyway, I don't live in Hartford. Hartford is only a tiny part of what Central CT is about. Hartford could be erased from the map tomorrow and it would not make a much of a difference, because the other areas grew up around it, and developed on their own.
Right, the leafy suburbs bleed the city dry while it's residents are amount the poorest in the nation. CT sounds awesome! Please stay and enjoy the greatness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area