Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 12:02 PM

252 posts, read 709,961 times

Advertisements

After 12 years living in the Memphis, TN area, my husband and I moved back to Maine in January – in the middle of a blizzard. Not the greatest timing, but we made it safe and sound. I always thought that I hated winters. I mean, what could be worse? I’ll tell you what was worse. Months on end of heat and humidity, during the time frame that it should have been the best part of the year! This Mainer could not adjust to hibernating in the summer because of the heat and humidity. I am so happy to be back in Maine. I am loving this fall weather we having. I survived last winter, so I guess I can handle the rest of them. As of now, I have decided we will live in Maine in retirement and go to Florida in the winter.

One thing that has changed in 12 years is the volume of traffic. I cannot believe how much traffic is on I-295 in southern Maine. Has the population of Maine grown that much or are there more tourists coming to Maine? My commute in Memphis was easier because I didn’t travel on the highway and used city streets. My commute was a piece of cake. Now my commute is white knuckled. Why do people drive so slow in the passing lane? If the speed limit is 70, you better be going faster than that in the left lane.

The price of groceries in Maine is high. I am still shocked at the price of meat, especially beef.

Other than these two issues, I have adjusted quite well to being home and am very happy to be back. You have to experience something else to appreciate what Maine has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 10:08 AM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
Welcome back. I think many of us have a love/hate relationship with winter. When I am out enjoying a fresh snow fall on a beautiful day, it is great. When I am scrapping my windshield in the early morning, or having to shovel out my truck, it sucks. But winter does help to keep me bitter which is a requirement for us New Englanders.

And yes, traffic was become worse. They are planning on making 295 wider through Portland which will help, but the not everybody has adapted yet to the newly increased speed limit. Since Maine is an aging state, we are seeing many people who are driving slower. I try to stay away from the major highways in and out of Portland during rush hour if I can.

I'm a vegetarian so I have no comments about the price of meat. Normally I shop at Whole Foods so my food costs are high anyways. I do buy a lot of food through local farmers when I can. Sometimes the price is high, but the quality is better.

I'm originally from NH, and never thought I'd be a full time Mainer, but it has happened. I'm currently working on moving out of Portland to some land I own in Pownal. I'm here for the long run now.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:25 AM

810 posts, read 851,233 times
How much are you paying for beef? How about chicken? Just curious I live in the other Portland.

Beef seems kind of high here but we eat a lot of ground turkey and occasionally beef. I do love a good roast or a steak. How about a gallon of 2% milk?

Thanks

I have only visited your wonderful state but I grew up in western PA. I do miss snowy winters and 4 distinct seasons not the two we have here wet and dry .

Old 10-05-2015, 01:34 PM

252 posts, read 709,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
How much are you paying for beef? How about chicken? Just curious I live in the other Portland.

Beef seems kind of high here but we eat a lot of ground turkey and occasionally beef. I do love a good roast or a steak. How about a gallon of 2% milk?

Thanks

I have only visited your wonderful state but I grew up in western PA. I do miss snowy winters and 4 distinct seasons not the two we have here wet and dry .
I will have to check. All I know is that milk and meat is much more expensive than it was in western Tennessee.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:44 PM

89 posts, read 112,569 times
You don't have to be from Maine to hate the heat and humidity of the south. Lived here all my life and hate it passionately. We lived in Chattanooga for 16 years and now NC for 9. We're making our plans to move to Maine!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post

Thanks

Turkey and chicken is the same price roughly as it was in Virginia but we do shop the specials. Beef seems to be more expensive. However- we recently found out the price of beef had gone up in Virginia family members as well. ( beef state there ).

We are, however, eating more fish... that we caught... So really- I think grocery price wise, it is a even wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area