Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 PM

177 posts, read 408,758 times

Advertisements

Hello again. So i've narrowed my search to Falmouth, Portland, and Cape Elizabeth. However, a home in So. Portland has recently come on the market and it got me thinking about that area. Can somebody give me some of their thoughts on South Portland and perhaps how it compares against Falmouth and Cape Elizabeth?

Some items of importance to us:

1) Schools - does So. Portland's schools compare well against Falmouth/Cape E.?

2) Community - I know "community" is subjective and that's fine, but i'd love to have some opinions on it in So. Portland.

3) With 2 kids, recreational parks are really important to me - does any of these 3 towns have considerably more than the other?

Any other info would be great. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,802,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
Hello again. So i've narrowed my search to Falmouth, Portland, and Cape Elizabeth. However, a home in So. Portland has recently come on the market and it got me thinking about that area. Can somebody give me some of their thoughts on South Portland and perhaps how it compares against Falmouth and Cape Elizabeth?

Some items of importance to us:

1) Schools - does So. Portland's schools compare well against Falmouth/Cape E.?

2) Community - I know "community" is subjective and that's fine, but i'd love to have some opinions on it in So. Portland.

3) With 2 kids, recreational parks are really important to me - does any of these 3 towns have considerably more than the other?

Any other info would be great. thanks in advance.
Depends on which South Portland your talking about. The South Portland across the bridge from Portland or the South Portland southwest of Portland which includes the Maine Mall and other big box sprawl.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,752 times
Default Eh.

South Portland is not as WASPy as Cape or Falmouth, but it also isn't as nice. Personally I'm a West-end Portland girl myself, but if I had enough money to live in Cape or Falmouth, I'd live in Cape. South Portland has a lot of college students living in it due to SMMC and USM, but there are zero college students living in Cape and Falmouth, way out of their price range. While college kids may be your style, I suspect that poorly maintained apartment buildings and rowdy neighbors are not. That being said, there are some areas of South Portland that are very close to the Cape, and are pretty secluded, and the only real difference between those areas and Cape Elizabeth is the price. Also, have you considered Peaks Island? a pain to get to and from, but man oh man, that's a lovely lovely little place. It's like a town from Leave it to Beaver but just off the coast of Portland. If you don't end up buying there, promise yourself you'll visit, and bike around the island. You won't regret it.

My last two cents. If you are considering at all living within city limits, may I suggest the west end (the more west you get, the better), or perhaps the Eastern Promenade (anything closer to town than 1-2 streets in is not worth your time if you want a place to park or a yard). West end has beautiful homes, close knit community, great schools (Waynflete, Reiche), and just a great great feel to it. Eastern Prom overlooks the water. Both are nice.

Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:52 AM

177 posts, read 408,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Depends on which South Portland your talking about. The South Portland across the bridge from Portland or the South Portland southwest of Portland which includes the Maine Mall and other big box sprawl.
Across the bridge - about as South East but still in So. Portland as you could possibly get. About 2 miles north of Pleasant Hill, Scarborough.

Also a question about schools: do you have to put your kids in the school that you've been 'assigned' (for lack of a better word)? or can you choose from any of the schools in your district?

thanks

Old 02-01-2008, 07:04 PM

502 posts, read 1,731,249 times
my thoughts...

I am a teacher in SP and have been teaching there for 15 years. City is basically blue coller with some very nice sections and some not so nice. Typical of most cities. Roughly 22K people. Property taxes are high - i think the mil rate is roughly $22/thousand. I live 26 miles north in a small town that has a mil rate of $9/thousand.

I believe there are 5 elementary schools now - there used to be 7 but were consolidated. All the buildings are newly remodeled and less than 4 years old. There are two middle schools and 1 high school that i teach at. Technology in schools is up do date. Schools are heavily white, but more immegrants are coming in. There are many nice parks, large fields, community center w/ pool. many programs for kids to be involved in. The schools are good, and if a student applies themselves, they can get a very good education. We always have seniors heading off to top colleges. Our SAT scores that tested all juniors was above state average.

Personal opinion - the city is on a downward spiral. Still a nice place, but getting a bit rougher. Most of the city is still pretty nice and I would have no qualms living there if the expense wasn't so high. I also have 10 acres and lots of privacy where i am now. The general feel is changing though with most middle class people moving out to suburbs.

Cape and Falmouth are more high class. More expensive. Bit more exclusive. Property is much more expensive. Nice places, but out of my teacher salary. Schools are good, but again, kids will get out of a school what they put in and what their parents get involved in.

scott

Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 19,911 times
Default Hey looking to relocate

I think Falmouth is a great area rural yet great schools a nice area. South Portland is great also more city like. The Cape has great schools also somewhat like Falmouth Maine. Have you tried Yarmouth, there is a private school called North Yarmouth Acadamey. Just a little imput. Also there is Freeport Maine

Old 02-02-2008, 04:14 PM

497 posts, read 1,562,876 times
I live in Falmouth and I have lived in South Portland. Both are great communities but obviously Falmouth is quieter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area