Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,824 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be empty nesters but we are far from old (unless you consider late 40's old)!

We would love to live in a vibrant neighborhood with a fairly well-educated, diverse, interesting population. That being said, we are turned off by gentrification/yuppie lifestyle. Perhaps we are looking for something that no longer exists, but we would love to live in a place that's safe, where we could interact with interesting people of all types, who are not necessarily rich or "successful."

We are interested in Portland because when we have visited the city we have liked it very much, and because we are New Enganders who generally don't want to live in a "big" city like Boston. We have some flexibility with our employment options.

If you live in Portland, is there a particular neighborhood/area you would recommend? We are not adverse to living in a town nearby as well, but I must admit, I prefer not to live in suburbia or in a development. Any/all details you could be provide would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:27 AM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
All of the neighborhoods on the peninsula will provide a mix of yuppie/gentrification/working class/student/poor. The ratios of what to what will be different depending on which neighborhood. Off the peninsula, you will find a greater working class group, but that may be too suburb for you. Search a bit on here. There is a lot of talk about the different neighborhoods.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:24 PM

Thank you for that. Yes, I am searching around here but it's a little confusing when you don't really know the area. We plan on driving up soon and just looking around. If you have a chance, can you let me know which neighborhoods are "on the peninsula?"

Old 11-11-2015, 08:37 PM

Peninsula includes West End, East End, Bayside (East and West), Parkside, Old Port, Arts District, Business District, Waterfront, St. John Valley, and some people may include Libbytown. Some people don't consider the Waterfront as its own neighborhood.

The colors in this picture depict the districts, not the neighborhoods. Generally, the peninsula is considered to be south of 295.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighb...ortland,_Maine

Neighborhoods | Portland, Maine

This link is interactive. Click on the neighborhood, and it'll take you to the approximate area.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-13-2015 at 07:24 AM..

Old 11-15-2015, 01:12 PM

Thank you so much for that! It is really helpful.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:48 AM

9 posts, read 14,327 times
I would be happy to help you with questions on Portland neighborhoods. I grew up in the next town over and my Family are Portland natives. It is a very diverse city. There are lots of areas you probably want to stay away from and others areas that are wonderful. Feel free to send me a message!

Sara

Old 12-22-2015, 09:53 PM

17 posts, read 19,323 times
Let's see, you want something working class (if I understand correctly) but not suburban, and of course safe. I'm not sure exactly what suburban means to you. Portland has a lot of neighborhoods that consist of single-family houses with small yards both back and front. Is that too much? If not, I can recommend the area I used to live, which we called "The States" because a lot of the streets were named for states. On the map, it's the blue area to the northeast of Washington Avenue.

The West End is the most gentrified part of the city, so you'd want to avoid that.

If you're looking for something more densely packed than what I just described, the Rosemont or Deering Center area might be good. I've never lived there but have often driven through them. It all depends on exactly what "suburban" means to you.

Have you already made your trip? If so, I hope you found someplace that looked good!

Old 12-25-2015, 11:49 PM

66 posts, read 101,927 times
Drive up Brighton Ave, Forest Ave or Washington Ave, as mentioned. These are the corridors into the city, and the main areas of "suburban" Portland. You are only minutes from downtown in either direction. Many neighborhoods in between all of these.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:08 AM

8 posts, read 13,062 times
Hi, since my english is not really good, I have a doubt: what do you mean with The West End is the most gentrified part of the city??
And, other question... What would you choose between West end and East end?
Thanks!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson_ View Post
Hi, since my english is not really good, I have a doubt: what do you mean with The West End is the most gentrified part of the city??
And, other question... What would you choose between West end and East end?
Thanks!
The West End is not the most gentrified part of the city. Don't worry about it. There are many people of many different ages in the West End.

West vs East? Depends on the amount of money you want to spend. The East End was once the cheap end of town, but now it is the most expensive due to the vast water views, multi million dollar homes, and small local shops. The West End is not cheap either, but more manageable. The West End is closer to the Arts District and the Old Port. The West End covers more area so there are more places to choose from, and there is more on street parking. Completely different vibe from each area while still being the same vibe of living in a progressive ocean town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
View detailed profiles of: