Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 AM

90 posts, read 226,004 times

Advertisements

OMG, every apartment, Non-Smokers!

Ok, fine, I don't smoke in the house but seriously, I can't smoke on the porch/balcony? I am required to go 20 feet away from the entire building? WOW!!!

And what about those with a Medical Marijuana card? Can't smoke that in public period. So where (if any) do the smokers live in Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:57 AM

177 posts, read 408,090 times
I see tons of smokers standing outside of their apartment buildings and houses. Like in the driveway or on the balcony. I don't think people can deny you a place to live just because you smoke... you just won't be able to smoke inside their building.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
The problem is enforcing lease agreements. All too many times, when tenants read "smoking is allowed outside only," that tends to end up in practice as, "smoking is allowed outside only when the landlord is around." So many landlords just institute a no smoking policy so they don't have to deal with it.

But mostly it has to do with insurance policies. Every year, apartment buildings burn down because of careless smokers. Smoking is considered a major risk for insurance companies.

It raises issues with smoke detectors. Some tenants will disconnect the smoke detectors in a place so they can smoke inside, which is a big no-no against NFPA rules. If a landlord gets caught with disconnected smoke detectors, he or she can have their insurance policy cancelled.

Same thing is true about barbecue grills. Some insurance companies won't even insure a rental if they see grills within 10 ft of a building, so many landlords just outright ban them so they can keep their insurance.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/2...building-fire/

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/0...ette-disposal/

http://www.mainenewssimply.com/conte...fire-thomaston

http://www.portlanddailysun.me/index...tment-building

http://www.pressherald.com/news/main...ment-fire.html

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/lewis...ldings/1267218

Last edited by Mark S.; 01-27-2013 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM

Good to know. As mentioned, I don't mind going outside, but it would be nice to just on on the patio or balcony (should I get lucky enough to have one lol). I hate when I have to stand out on the sidewalk to smoke and have people try to bum a smoke. Too expensive to just hand out like candy..... one every now and then is fine, but every time I would go outside to smoke, I would get 3-5 people asking to bum one.

Sad thing is, all these extra chemicals added to make cigarettes fire proof, the insurance companies should be more understanding. Haha!

All good, I am sure something will work out. Leaving today for a visit, interview and apartment shopping. Should be an interesting 2 days, can't wait to get there.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM

742 posts, read 1,227,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Chelle View Post
OMG, every apartment, Non-Smokers!

Ok, fine, I don't smoke in the house but seriously, I can't smoke on the porch/balcony? I am required to go 20 feet away from the entire building? WOW!!!

And what about those with a Medical Marijuana card? Can't smoke that in public period. So where (if any) do the smokers live in Portland?
good, smoking is a bad habit.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
good, smoking is a bad habit.
So is fast food but I see Portland has it's share of that

Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 AM

742 posts, read 1,227,877 times
Well i wont defend fast food, but i will say if i am sitting on a park bench eating the fumes wont give someone second hand grease and contact heart disease.

Smoking is a dirty vile habit, plain and simple.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:38 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Chelle View Post
So is fast food but I see Portland has it's share of that
lol...I don't smoke but it seems that most laws designed to protect the rights of some infringe on someone else's rights. If you wanna smoke inside I guess you'll have to buy your own home. So is driving, but people still do it. Alcoholic beverages lead to liver disease, but people still drink. I hear soft drinks over 16 oz. are a health threat also.

Maybe we should have a law against negative people who gripe and complain too much. Mainelander's (I have serious doubts about that.) posts may be leading to depression in others who are reading the negative, griping, and complaining posts. Maine is mostly a place of "live and let live; the way life should be." Apparently mainelander hasn't heard.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 02-03-2013 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-03-2013, 08:40 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Well i wont defend fast food, but i will say if i am sitting on a park bench eating the fumes wont give someone second hand grease and contact heart disease.

Before you know it, there will be a law against sitting on a park bench--might infringe on someone's rights.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:

However the carbon monoxide from the passing cars will effect you while you are sitting on the bench. Just saying .

Sorry, I was just asking a simple question, not trying to start a major debate. All I want is a nice little place where it's convenient to get outside to smoke, like a porch or balcony.

While I was staying at the Inn at St. John, it was easy to get outside and there were awnings to keep me dry while I was outside smoking. And of course.... every 3rd person to pass asks.... "can I bum a smoke?" It's so annoying. Is it wrong of me to want to be able to enjoy a cigarette without having to make someone feel bad by saying no?

Anyway, still apartment hunting, if anyone has a lead on a nice 1 bedroom 850.00 or under it would be greatly appreciated. I am quite amazed at the price of apartments there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area