Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulskies View Post
They don't put the stuff on the road before a storm to prevent ice from forming? Most places don't use salt any more because the runoff is bad for the environment.
There are some municipalities where the residents demand higher taxes to provide chemicals for that purpose.

In other municipalities residents prefer to have lower taxes. It is different from one town to the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 12:43 PM

165 posts, read 174,695 times
I think you and your mother can both find what you're looking for here.

I believe Bangor Daily News is still free to read on line. You might like to check the classifieds to get a glimpse of the jobs and rentals markets.

Get yourself a DeLorme Maine Atlas and Gazeteer. It will give you a really good idea of what's where, then you can start researching locations you think might appeal.

Good luck! Fall is a beautiful time to come.

Winters can be gruesome, but are not always. The road crews know what they're doing and take really good care of the roads, in my opinion. In any case, it will be an adventure for you.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:40 PM

155 posts, read 196,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulskies View Post
They don't put the stuff on the road before a storm to prevent ice from forming? Most places don't use salt any more because the runoff is bad for the environment.
Nope, like most things Maine is about 20 years behind the curve on technology

Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
Be nice to Maine, jeremywolf81. Maine was one of the first states to put technology in the hands of students through MLTI.

and about winter and snow... some winters barely qualify as a winter and others like 2014-2015 really pile up the snow... one year it didn't get above freezing the entire month of January. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best or if you want more adventure, hope for the worst.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshBird View Post
We are planning to try and go visit sometime around September or October. I want to make a narrowed down list of towns or areas that we could hopefully visit.

I apologize for my somewhat vague description of wants and needs. I want to go into the writing profession, which is what I want to go to college for. Until that can happen I know I'll have to settle with just a part time job or something to pay the bills. My mom can't really work anymore, unless it's an easy job. But I don't even want her to have to do that.

She's super into crafts and art; and of course nature and hiking. As for me, I also like hiking as well as reading and drawing.

We had not thought about the time change and difference in light hours so thank you for pointing that out.

As for the cost of renting a house or apartment; how much do rent places cost a month? What kind of average difference is there between a rental place on the coast and one further inland? I understand it will be cheaper inland overall for everything but I'm not sure exactly how much more. Thank you all for your help.
Most people I know in their 20's can't afford to live alone; they have one or two roommates to share expenses. Sometimes you can find an apartment that includes some of the utilities like heat, for example, in the cost of the rent. As far as apartment rentals, count on at least $1,000 a month and hope you find something for less. Here is a link with some examples. https://maine.craigslist.org/search/...y=bangor+maine

If you plan to take college courses in Maine, you need to establish residency to get in-state tuition rather than out-of-state tuition. In this day and time, you can take courses online but they still cost $. ... possibly $800 for a course; maybe $1400 for a course. ... cost varies, pays to shop around. Tuition at UMO even for Maine residents is several thousand per year for full-time. Eastern Maine Community College in Bangor would be several thousand $ a year less. Programs of Study | Eastern Maine Community College
Tuition & fees | Eastern Maine Community College

Tuition and Fees | Bursar's Office | University of Maine

Old 08-10-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Just so we are talking the same language, what technology are you talking about?

Things you spray on pavement to retard ice, that cost tax revenue, perhaps?

Old 08-10-2016, 05:40 PM

810 posts, read 851,839 times
We use the deicing stuff here in oregon. After they use it i doesn't snow :-) Of course we get more than a couple inches of snow everyone panics and all schools and businesses close. I find it pretty funny. But I don't drive because these people ar clueless when it comes to winter driving.

Of course we don't get snow very often and usually when we do it only lasts a few hours. with a few exceptions of course.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:28 AM

155 posts, read 196,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Just so we are talking the same language, what technology are you talking about?

Things you spray on pavement to retard ice, that cost tax revenue, perhaps?
That's just one tiny example among many huge ones. I know you're one of the biggest Maine cheerleaders on this board but don't even try and argue this point; it's a FACT Maine is lagging terribly behind the rest of the country in technology. We factually have the 2nd worst network in the US. Look a lot of people are content just looking at trees and rocks and having no one around them; and that's fine, then you'll probably like Maine. But if you're looking for more social diversity, modern infrastructure and robust careers this is NOT a good state to live in.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
That's just one tiny example among many huge ones. I know you're one of the biggest Maine cheerleaders on this board but don't even try and argue this point; it's a FACT Maine is lagging terribly behind the rest of the country in technology. We factually have the 2nd worst network in the US. Look a lot of people are content just looking at trees and rocks and having no one around them; and that's fine, then you'll probably like Maine. But if you're looking for more social diversity, modern infrastructure and robust careers this is NOT a good state to live in.
I did not mean to start an argument.

I agree that Maine is lagging terribly behind the rest of the country in technology. I agree that the connectivity network in Maine is bad. I agree that with 95% white population, Maine does lack in social diversity. 'modern infrastructure and robust careers' are not generally things that retirees are looking for. Young adults leave Maine, Older people migrate to Maine.

I only meant to query you on how this presents itself in:
Quote:
... They don't put the stuff on the road before a storm to prevent ice from forming? Most places don't use salt any more because the runoff is bad for the environment.
That was the post you were responding to.

How does a lack of interwebz connectivity technology affect the ice and snow on our roads?

Old 08-12-2016, 03:04 PM

I like Maine; actually, I love Maine. I think some people come to Maine because of the things others think are "lacking." I appreciate Maine for what it has that I love and other things it doesn't have that I can do without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area