U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 PM

14 posts, read 53,598 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to the Portland, Maine area for a job opportunity and was wondering the best place in the area to raise my family? We currently live in NJ, where my wife and I were born and raised. My wife and I are in our mid-30's and we have two young sons: 2 and 5. My wife is very active in our town (mom's club, church, etc.), so there will be no problem with her making new friends. Basically, I'm looking for the following: (1) a neighborhood where my wife will be surrounded by mom's around her age, (2) a neighborhood where my boys will be surrounded by kids around their age, (3) an established community with sidewalks and/or a cul-de-sac, where I have some land (.5-1 acre) but we're close enough to our neighbors that the kids can go play next door without getting lost, (4) a community pool or lake (with a beach), (5) a quaint "downtown" with shops and restaurants, preferrably within walking distance, (6) a 30-minute or less commute to Portland, and (7) within a 15 minute drive to the beach. I know that's a lot to ask and I don't expect to get all seven in one town... the most important is #2 above, way more important than any of the others.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by ccrider; 02-21-2008 at 03:05 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 PM

1,947 posts, read 4,805,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider View Post
I may be relocating to the Portland, Maine area for a job opportunity and was wondering the best place in the area to raise my family? We currently live in NJ, where my wife and I were born and raised. My wife and I are in our mid-30's and we have two young sons: 2 and 5. My wife is very active in our town (mom's club, church, etc.), so there will be no problem with her making new friends. Basically, I'm looking for the following: (1) a neighborhood where my wife will be surrounded by mom's around her age, (2) a neighborhood where my boys will be surrounded by kids around their age, (3) an established community with sidewalks and/or a cul-de-sac, where I have some land (.5-1 acre) but we're close enough to our neighbors that the kids can go play next door without getting lost, (4) a community pool or lake (with a beach), (5) a quaint "downtown" with shops and restaurants, preferrably within walking distance, (6) a 30-minute or less commute to Portland, and (7) within a 15 minute drive to the beach. I know that's a lot to ask and I don't expect to get all seven in one town... the most important is #2 above, way more important than any of the others.

Hi ccrider, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the job opportunity.

You will find your best best in the newer (1990s and up) sub-divisions located in many of the surrounding towns of Greater Portland (Scarborough, South Portland, Gorham, Falmouth, Cumberland, Yarmouth and perhaps Windham). As a REALTOR, Fair Housing Laws prohibit us from discussing this type of thing with you, but based on your expected purchase price, number of bedrooms, baths, square feet and lot size requirements, we can certainly give you all the ammunution you need to get you moving in the right direction.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 PM

5 posts, read 22,252 times
Hi ccrider.... First there aren't too many places in Maine that have community pools/beaches, and if you do find such a community, it's not likely to have a bunch of kids. It sounds to me like you would be describing Cumberland or Yarmouth with the "quaint village", but I'm not sure if you'd find your #2 priority there either. Scarborough and Falmouth have the new developments and likelihood of kids, but not the village ...they are probably most similar to what you'd find in NJ. If you can get over the land issue and can go for between .25 and .5 acre, I would recommend the North Deering area in Portland... new developments, good schools and lots of kids. Everything is more compact in Portland so you're not far from any of your kids' friends, and neighborhoods more defined. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2009, 01:32 AM

13 posts, read 39,340 times
Default also thinking about moving from nj to maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider View Post

Hey there,
Your story sounds so much like mine,So I was wondering if you did move and if so how you like it? My husband and I are born and raised in NJ. We live in rumson which is monmouth county and besides leaving for college we haven't left. We have 3 girls 6 3 and 1 and have been thinking of moving to falmouth me, particularly the foreside. That area is so beautiful is so close to portland and only an hour and a half from Boston so it seemed to me our best option! I would love any information about your move if you have done so? Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area