Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 4,484 times

Advertisements

We're closing on our house in CT in early October with no house in Maine to move to yet! We saw something we liked in Arundel but can't find much information about the town. We have a child, so schools are a major factor in deciding where we end up and I know Arundel school options are excellent. We like to be on the rural side (we have a dog and an outdoor cat and like to hike, bike, swim and ski), but close to activities (movies, shopping, music, arts, etc). We have been looking at Gorham as the main target, but the housing market has slowed down just due to the season we're working with.

We will be commuting to Portland, so realistically, is that too far? We're used to about 30 min commutes now constantly battling heavy traffic, which of course can easily turn that into an hour. I'm assuming the traffic on 95 won't come close to what we have in CT, but then there's also the tolls to consider...

Some notes on Arundel would be great, plus any other town suggestions. We will rent for the winter if need be, but of course - ideally we'd like to move once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 04:58 AM

3,685 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Depending on where you live in Arundel and where you work in Portland, you may be able to do the commute in 30 minutes but it would be pretty close. By CT standards, traffic is essentially

Arundel on the east side of Route 1 gets pretty congested during the summer due to Kennebunk and Biddeford traffic. West of Route 1 and 95 the town is pretty rural.

What's your budget? Have you considered Cape Elizabeth, Scarborough, Falmouth or Yarmouth?

Old 09-02-2016, 10:19 AM

Basically we're looking within a half hour of Portland on all sides, so we're pretty open but our budget of under $300k is keeping out of Cape Elizabeth and Freeport. The home was on the western side of 95 but there just doesn't seem to be much of a town per se.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:27 PM

536 posts, read 844,460 times
Hello, Yay--
I am looking in that area, too--checked out Arundel this AM but it was a bit far, I think, from the Portland airport (for me).

I'm writing because I am in your price range, though I don't need as much space. I am seeing some condos in Yarmouth and Falmouth (good schools), some in Portland too (but tiny where I am looking in the West End). Deering is a bit "mall intensive" but the crime rate is low there and services are near. Many houses (not condos) in that price range there.

Look at Bath, maybe? Great (often older) houses at a great price but do your due diligence because there are crime and other issues in Bath. I don't know about the schools.

Houses there are often really nice in that price range. You'd just have to be careful about the neighborhood.

I don't have kids, but have heard that schools in Yarmouth and Falmouth are good. (Portland is so close to Falmouth that it was _called_ Falmouth in the 18th century.) It's not that far away from Portland, but I am only seeing condos in our price range. Incidentally, I have seen condos in Cape Elizabeth and Freeport in that range as well.

South Portland has houses in the price range and many are charming. But my sister says it's sketchier for families. Best of luck. I do think it's a wonderful area. I just wish I were richer!

Old 09-04-2016, 09:34 PM

77 posts, read 84,118 times
You may want to look a little north of Portland. Windham and Gray are both within 30 min of Portland and are nice towns, close to the lakes region. You may get more house for your money in that area. You could avoid tolls by taking either rt 100 or 202.
I'm not sure about the schools as I don't have children.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:48 AM

Thanks, all! We're headed up this weekend to look - wish us luck!

Old 09-06-2016, 12:38 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
If you're closing on your house in CT and need the proceeds for your next house (and you're financing the new home), it will be very difficult for you to close before mid-October and that's assuming you find a house this weekend. It might be best to grab that winter rental and start anew in the spring. Of course nobody knows what interest rates, home prices or housing inventory will be in the spring, we're all guessing. Inventory has been down all this year, unlike in 2015 where it picked up in the second half of the year.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:23 AM

52 posts, read 53,070 times
Can I ask where in CT you are moving from? I found traffic in Portland to be much worse than it was in CT, but I didnt live in Fairfield county. People drive really slow and there are not as many roads. Don't believe the hype about "everything is just 15-20 minutes away", especially in winter. I'd double it at least.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:23 AM

We are moving from Fairfield County, actually just a town above it, but we both work in Fairfield county and there are traffic jams everyday. It's a nightmare and it has gotten much worse in the 11 years since we bought our house here.

Thank you for the heads up on the speed of traffic. I am sure we're going to have to adjust our aggressive driving once we get up there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area