Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:34 AM

52 posts, read 53,070 times

Advertisements

I am still looking for a home! Two years now, and I still cannot find a decent property at a fair price in a good school district. Very discouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 02:34 PM

35 posts, read 72,102 times
Try north yarmouth or cumberland. Msad 51 is a good school district and the area is beautiful and convenient to everything. I just went on realtor.com and there are alot of houses for sale. Not sure what your criteria is, but you may find something that suits your needs.best of luck and hope you find something for the new year!

Old 01-01-2017, 06:45 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
I've known business owners who could afford to go to a warmer climate for a month or more in the winter. I also know some retirees who are spending six months in FL and six in ME. If you have school age children and $ to travel, February or April vacation are possibilities. ...Or some of the days of Christmas vacation. Some people are content to live Maine lives 12 months per year. I highly recommend embracing Maine winters and all that comes with them; enjoy the smell of wood smoke. Dress for the temp and get outside, make fish chowder, gather at a yummy restaurant and eat fish chowder. Participate in any winter sports. Learn to ice skate or gather by the bonfire and watch the skaters. In December as soon as it's dark at 3:54 pm, turn on the Christmas lights.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:45 AM

Mainegirl..you got it right about embracing the winter. I bought myself one of those long lightweight coats from the Bean outlet and it is the best! I look like a walking sleeping bag, but I am warm, that's for sure!
..and when I am outside shoveling for the 4th time in a week, I call it my workout. Who needs a gym membership with all this snow to play in. Hah! As far as going somewhere warmer, we zip on down to Florida and South Carolina to visit family when we find affordable air fare. I have to tell you that going somewhere warmer to visit is lovely, but my body has adjusted to such colder weather since we moved here. In fact 80 degrees is super hot for me and I get uncomfortable. It is nice for schools to have a February break in addition to a spring break, so traveling down south is definitely more flexible.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:18 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbanie View Post
Mainegirl..you got it right about embracing the winter. I bought myself one of those long lightweight coats from the Bean outlet and it is the best! I look like a walking sleeping bag, but I am warm, that's for sure!
..and when I am outside shoveling for the 4th time in a week, I call it my workout. Who needs a gym membership with all this snow to play in. Hah! As far as going somewhere warmer, we zip on down to Florida and South Carolina to visit family when we find affordable air fare. I have to tell you that going somewhere warmer to visit is lovely, but my body has adjusted to such colder weather since we moved here. In fact 80 degrees is super hot for me and I get uncomfortable. It is nice for schools to have a February break in addition to a spring break, so traveling down south is definitely more flexible.
Great to hear!!! It's all about attitude and having the right gear and you were smart to go to the LL Bean Outlet. I forgot to mention snowshoeing, cross country skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, ice fishing, down hill skiing, or even just walking...I love tubing at Hermon Mtn. Get out at night when there's a full moon lighting up the snow--magnificent. February vacation is for state high school basketball tournament games btw lol... how could I forget to mention shoveling....

Old 01-02-2017, 04:04 PM

35 posts, read 33,297 times
Get some "YakTrackers" or other cleats for your boots. And wear them!! My slip and fall cost me two broken arms and rotator cuff surgery. Just out walking my dog.... Get them Wear them.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:20 PM

404 posts, read 777,637 times
i went to Florida in feb after my 1st winter here, I thought I was going to die it was so hot! I had already acclimated after 1 winter! I went again to fl last year and same thing...too hot. I moved to maine for a reason as I hated 100 degree temps and I love the winter here so I have been going other fun places on vacation in march, like the UK, DC, a Maine resort in the winter.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:54 PM

52 posts, read 53,070 times
I thought maybe groups of people rented houses together or neighbors all took the same cruise, something like that. Cumberland and North Yarmouth are too "far out" for us... thanks for all the great advice. I don't mind the occasional snow storm, and I am a life long New Englander, but I think the fact that Maine is so low-key to begin with, then mostly everything shuts down between November and April is really going to get to me, with oppressive snow and cold is on top of that! I can't imagine a world in which chopping wood and shoveling snow would be enjoyable to me! I love spending time with people too much!

Old 01-08-2017, 10:06 AM

404 posts, read 777,637 times
some neighbors and friends do take cruises together...once those types of close friendships are established.

I think you have the wrong idea...not everything closes down, especially around Portland, but all over maine. Its just a nice season lees tourists. for example my friends all meet out at the dog park in all weather. The local restaurants such as dimillios has a locals season happy hour. The roads are cleared, so you can go any place you want...I don't' chop wood as I have a heat pumps and a gas fire place and I hate shoveling too, so even though I'm of modest means I gladly pay some one to do that. There is plenty to do in the winter and plenty of local permanent people...so I'm not sure where your comment is coming from except that some people on this board give the picture of a desolate waste land.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:25 PM

To beautifulskies-
Sounds like a condo in Portland might be a good fit. Snow removal done for you and you are around people 24/7, being in the city.
Maine is not Siberia, you know. (No offense to Siberia. I just used an expression. I am sure Siberia has some nice populated, vibrant communities.) No one is hunkered down and hiding today. Places are open. I saw alot of people out walking early this morning on the way to church ...and it is SUPER cold today. People are out ice-skating too.
I wish you the best of luck. You just seem alittle sad and discouraged. I hope you and your family find happiness here, wherever you end up. To me, living in Maine is so fufilling. We chose to live with less, but yet we experience so much more. When we first moved here, I had to adjust, explore and embrace. It wasn't easy. The first couple winters were brutal. I thought we were getting hazed. Hah!
My husband purchased a business and it has been a roller coaster. It is still a wild ride and we are holding on!! We have never been tested so much in our lives. However, it is about the journey and not the destination, right?

I have a sign in my house that I want to share with you, beautiful skies & anyone else who would like some inspiration.Maybe a line in it will become your 2017 mantra or something....

Wake up smiling.
Seize every moment.
Try new things.
Be bold.
Amaze yourself.
Take chances.
Be optimistic.
Embrace change.
Be legendary.
Live your life with abandon.
Have an open mind.
Be fearless
This is your time.
Throw caution to the wind.
You only live once.

Happy New Year, friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area