Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2016, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 4,982 times

Advertisements

I am a restaurant professional planning on moving out of CA in the next 6-12 months. Portland is on my long list of places under consideration.

Two things I'm wondering about Portland:

1) I'm from the Northeast. Overall, I love the clientele in that region. If the bulk of clientele in a high-end restaurant will be East Coasters, then that is terrific. I do wonder whether cruise ships come into Portland at all. Having spent a year in Hawaii, I can say without reservation that cruise ship clientele by and large, is trashy as can be.

2) I'm wondering about the amount of business. I've heard that Portland gets quite the tourist season in the summer. How about the fall-winter-spring? Is there enough business driven by locals for a service professional to do well?

Thanks Much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 02:52 PM

80 posts, read 122,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreadyfortheshow View Post

1) I'm from the Northeast. Overall, I love the clientele in that region. If the bulk of clientele in a high-end restaurant will be East Coasters, then that is terrific. I do wonder whether cruise ships come into Portland at all. Having spent a year in Hawaii, I can say without reservation that cruise ship clientele by and large, is trashy as can be.

2) I'm wondering about the amount of business. I've heard that Portland gets quite the tourist season in the summer. How about the fall-winter-spring? Is there enough business driven by locals for a service professional to do well?
Cruise ships do come into Portland docking off the downtown peninsula portion of Portland. When I lived in Portland it was noticeable that a cruise ship had arrived as there was a sudden surge in foot traffic out and about - most carrying shopping bags as the Old Port shops are within walking distance of where the ships dock. Of course the incredible loudness of the ship's horn was enough to tell you they had come in if the influx of touristy looking foot traffic wasn't enough to make you know a ship was in port. Darn horns caught me unexpectedly a couple times while I was working and certainly grabbed my attention. Cruise ship season starts in about May and ends near the end of October.

Edited:
Here's an article that has some numbers relating to number of ships and number of passengers.

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/0...g-up-in-maine/

Old 11-14-2016, 11:58 PM

155 posts, read 196,050 times
Quote:
I am a restaurant professional planning on moving out of CA in the next 6-12 months. Portland is on my long list of places under consideration.

Two things I'm wondering about Portland:

Thanks Much!
1) Putting the entire Northeast in the same box is a big mistake. Maine is very VERY different from what you probably consider "the East Coast" although Portland will feel a lot more familiar to you than the rest of the state so there's that.

2) Yep tourist season is busy, fortunately Portland doesn't shut down in the winter like a lot of towns here, but there will be a big downswing in business. If you're going to work somewhere make sure it's not something that seems more seasonal and touristy, locals will be your paycheck from late October to April.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 4,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
1) Putting the entire Northeast in the same box is a big mistake. Maine is very VERY different from what you probably consider "the East Coast" although Portland will feel a lot more familiar to you than the rest of the state so there's that.

2) Yep tourist season is busy, fortunately Portland doesn't shut down in the winter like a lot of towns here, but there will be a big downswing in business. If you're going to work somewhere make sure it's not something that seems more seasonal and touristy, locals will be your paycheck from late October to April.
Definitely, "Northeast" is a broad brush. But I think overall, Northeast restaurant clientele is, with the possible exception of Chicago, the best. We spend well, and generally tip well. I worked in VT for awhile too, where we got clientele from NY and New England.

So, about the details. Better restaurants in Portland. Upscale, how much can one make in season and off season?

Old 11-26-2016, 12:02 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Definitely, "Northeast" is a broad brush. But I think overall, Northeast restaurant clientele is, with the possible exception of Chicago, the best. We spend well, and generally tip well. I worked in VT for awhile too, where we got clientele from NY and New England.

So, about the details. Better restaurants in Portland. Upscale, how much can one make in season and off season?
Why would anyone just hand this information over to you? I will say this... There are seasonal restaurants where the owners make enough that they don't work in the off season. I wouldn't exactly call them upscale, but definitely profitable. They spend October-April in another part of the world--one with warmer weather, lounging on the beach or poolside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
View detailed profiles of: