U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 AM

9,423 posts, read 5,472,613 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I have never been to Portland. We are Southerner New Englanders, Connecticut. We've been to Portsmouth/Kittery. Have had friends that lived and vacationed in Portland. From what they told me it's comparable to Norwalk CT.

Defiantly have to do some research on this thread and internet.

With my wife and I no children yet, but hoping to soon. School's are a concern in the future, but not on the radar yet.

Wife is big into reading. I mean it's an hour drive but we make 1 to 2 trips to this used book store in the area. Can buy books at a dollar it's worth it. Being close to libraries and bookstores is a plus. Also my wife enjoys the mall and small local shops.

My self as long as in an area that has road races, bike paths, close to the water to swim, and near the Y I am good.

Also my wife and I love to hike/camp so being near hiking areas is a plus. Also my wife and I are big into Thai and Ice Cream ha; so having some in the area again another plus.

As far as jobs wife is an LPN/LVN. We did some research on nursing homes/rehabs up in the Portland area and were happy what we found. My wife is looking to eventually go for her RN and down the road her APRN so being near higher education institutions is another plus.

To say we are not a fan of winter is a tough one. Winter's down here are hit or a miss. Some year's can have 30 inches of snow others 80 inches. Biggest gripe with winter in CT is you get the freezing rain, which is a pain. Most snow melts in a few days so can't do much but play in some grey slush. If more snow or sticks around longer probably enjoy it more be able to get out more. The freezing rain is the worse.

As far as homes found reasonably priced homes in South Portland/Cape Elizabeth area.

Think we enjoy the Portland area? Any insight or feedback greatly appreciate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 10:29 AM

18,559 posts, read 22,355,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, my wife and I have never been to Portland. We are Southerner New Englanders, Connecticut. We've been to Portsmouth/Kittery. Have had friends that lived and vacationed in Portland. From what they told me it's comparable to Norwalk CT.
I've never been to Norwalk. Portland is kinda comparable to Portsmouth in that they are both port cities. The biggest difference to me: Portsmouth is in the middle of a bunch of other communities. You really have to drive a ways to leave civilization behind. Portland is closer to the country. It is still surrounded by lots of smaller towns, but you can easily be in the country 30 minutes from Portland.

Quote:
Wife is big into reading. I mean it's an hour drive but we make 1 to 2 trips to this used book store in the area. Can buy books at a dollar it's worth it. Being close to libraries and bookstores is a plus. Also my wife enjoys the mall and small local shops.
South Portland has a Books-A-Million branch. Not sure how long it is going to survive in the age of Amazon though. There are still used bookstores around. Not one on every corner or anything, but definitely much closer than an hour's drive. We live in Brunswick, and there are four used bookstores within 20 minutes of my house.

Quote:
My self as long as in an area that has road races, bike paths, close to the water to swim, and near the Y I am good.
Portland? Unknown. On that score, you might prefer Brunswick.

Quote:
Also my wife and I love to hike/camp so being near hiking areas is a plus. Also my wife and I are big into Thai and Ice Cream ha; so having some in the area again another plus.
Come to Brunswick. Nice Thai place on Brunswick, but honestly: Go to Shere Punjab on Maine Street. Best Indian food on the planet. Brunswick has Cote's Ice Cream on Maine Street, which has lots of great hard ice cream flavors. There a smaller Dairy Frost up the road with both hard and soft varieties.

Quote:
To say we are not a fan of winter is a tough one. Winter's down here are hit or a miss. Some year's can have 30 inches of snow others 80 inches. Biggest gripe with winter in CT is you get the freezing rain, which is a pain. Most snow melts in a few days so can't do much but play in some grey slush. If more snow or sticks around longer probably enjoy it more be able to get out more. The freezing rain is the worse.
It varies from year to year. Freezing rain sure isn't unheard of in Maine, but it isn't the norm. We get lots of snow. On average ...

First appreciable snow around Thanksgiving. And it's here to stay. We probably won't see the grass again until late February / mid-March.

But it really does vary from year to year. Some years, I take my kids trick-or-treating in shirtsleeves and I'm sweating by the time we get home. Other years we've had to go home early because it started snowing. In 2011 we had a huge snowstorm in October (several inches), most of which melted by Thanksgiving before winter really set in.

But if you don't like snow, you probably won't like Maine. Winters have lots of snow, but most communities do a good job of keeping the roads clear. It's a rare snowstorm where roads have been so unsafe that I stayed home.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 AM

1,910 posts, read 4,623,031 times
Mark did a good job above, I won't get into too much more detail. There is a Y in Portland and lots of the recreational activities that you mentioned. I think you'd like Greater Portland, good luck with the interview!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:31 AM

Cool appreciate the feedback. I think we like snow if it stuck around longer. We be into skiing and snowshoeing. Just difficult here because snow last maybe a week at most or rain comes in snow is gone.

Cool we'll check out Brunswick.

Only reason really know about Cape Elizabeth is there is a big road race in August up there.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:08 PM

1,910 posts, read 4,623,031 times
Quote:
Cool appreciate the feedback. I think we like snow if it stuck around longer. We be into skiing and snowshoeing. Just difficult here because snow last maybe a week at most or rain comes in snow is gone.

Cool we'll check out Brunswick.

Only reason really know about Cape Elizabeth is there is a big road race in August up there.
Last weekend - the Beach to Beacon.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:53 PM

We do occasionally get a little bit of snow in Brunswick.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:53 AM

May be a tough ? to answer. Researching pay for job applying to and my wifes' pay is about the same. $45K a year so about $90K a year. Is that decent money in Maine or will we be stretched thin?
Again appreciate the feedback.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:36 AM

$90k a year is decent money in Maine. LOTS of people live on A LOT less.

It won't give you a 5-bedroom McMansion, but you can live comfortably on $90k a year.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
$90k a year is decent money in Maine. LOTS of people live on A LOT less.

It won't give you a 5-bedroom McMansion, but you can live comfortably on $90k a year.
I was bit hesitant taking the job. I love Maine, but know COL can be expensive. I think I am still going up for the interview.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:02 PM

248 posts, read 636,592 times
Southern Maine has a big running community. There are lots of races in the area, including 10Ks, half and full marathons. There are some nice trails to run in Portland, right on the ocean. DH and I were in the Maine Running Club when we were younger and before I ruptured a disk in my back.

Portland has several bookstores. Longfellow Books is in downtown Portland and they have both used and new books. They have a lot of meet the author events. As mentioned earlier, Brunswick has several bookstores (makes sense since it's a college town). I, too, live in Brunswick. Brunswick has a nice library. The library in Portland is great - and you can join the library if you don't live in Portland. Housing is more reasonable in Brunswick than in Portland, that's why we bought here. And we like being in a college town. I take a commuter bus to work from Brunswick to Portland, so I no longer have to deal with the traffic on 295.

Your wife will have no trouble at all finding a job in the medical field. There was an article in today's Maine Sunday Telegram about the shortage of nurses in the area. What line of work are you in?

I think Maine is a great place to live if you can stand the looooooong winters. LOL. It's close to Boston. You can go to Boston by bus or train and let someone else deal with the traffic. You should give Maine a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or