U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 02:04 PM

24 posts, read 41,970 times

Advertisements

We've been looking around the Portland area for a place to live. We're retired, and fell in love with Cape Elizabeth. It's beautiful, on/close to the water, close to parks, has some restaurants and other things nearby, uncrowded, but importantly is also close to Portland itself and it seems easy to get into Portland for all the great cultural and social activities there.

We've been looking for a while, and are dismayed by the small number of houses on the market in Cape Elizabeth. We're trying to find someplace like Cape Elizabeth, with similar characteristics but also close to Portland itself. We've ruled out the communities north of Portland like Falmouth, Yarmouth, and Cumberland.

We've heard of Scarborough, but don't know anything about it. We'd appreciate any thoughts and observations on what it's like, particularly from the perspective of living there. Is it "livable" year-round, or more of a tourist destination? Is there anything going on in Scarborough itself (restaurants, stores, etc.)? How easy is it to get into Portland city itself from there?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 PM

6,934 posts, read 4,692,582 times
There's no "town" to speak of. It's kind of the poster child for sprawl in Maine.

That might not matter to you.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:49 AM

40,168 posts, read 19,588,321 times
It just a little further....but the Saco area is where I would head. Its a really sweet community that has lots to offer in its own right and is part of the greater Portland area. I have family that live in Saco and commute to Portland for work and the other city amenities but really enjoy living in Saco. Check it out.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:39 AM

1,910 posts, read 4,624,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
It just a little further....but the Saco area is where I would head. Its a really sweet community that has lots to offer in its own right and is part of the greater Portland area. I have family that live in Saco and commute to Portland for work and the other city amenities but really enjoy living in Saco. Check it out.
Always nice to hear from Elston. As you've noted, available houses in Cape Elizabeth are few and far between. There are more in Scarborough (a much larger town) and there is some new construction, but not enough to keep up with demand, which is pushing prices higher.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:54 PM

62 posts, read 76,064 times
Scarborough is right next to Cape Elizabeth on the coast. Follow Rt. 77 /Bowery Beach Rd, and once you cross Spurwink Creek, you are in Scarborough. That entire area below Rt.1 is very similar to Cape. Several nice beaches, an affluent scenic area at Black Point, very similar. Some nice quiet neighborhoods down that way.

Along the Rt.1 corridor, you've got most of the commercial and retail businesses. Oak Hill is considered the "center" of town, and has the Town Hall/Police Station/High School/etc. There have been a lot of subdivisions popping up over the years near there, and along Gorham Rd heading towards the Maine Mall area. The local Super Wal-Mart, Lowes and other usual strip mall chains are actually still in Scarborough but very close to the South Portland Maine Mall area. When I think of Scarborough, I don't think of that area.

Head south along Rt.1 and you'll hit Dunstan Corner, and if you turn down Pine Point Rd you'll cross Scarborough Marsh and end up at Pine Point Beach. It is right next to Old Orchard Beach, which is the more touristy and far busier of the two beaches at that end. Pine Point/Black Point is a nice area, as well.

If you head back north across Rt.1 and go down Broadturn Rd, that goes out into West and North Scarborough, which are still suburban but more rural. A lot of homes and neighborhoods out that way towards Gorham and Buxton. I grew up out that way, and really love that area. You are still only 15 minutes from the mall or beaches, but it feels more "country".

Old 05-17-2018, 02:52 PM

24 posts, read 41,970 times
Thank you!

Old 09-18-2020, 09:06 PM

724 posts, read 456,521 times
Any updates or more opinions about Scarborough? Is there no sense of a town?

Old 09-19-2020, 07:11 AM

1,910 posts, read 4,624,460 times
I put a house under contract in Scarborough this week. It was the fifth offer that this family has written and the third where they offered substantially more than list price to win it; they are very happy after losing out in a few other communities, this was there first try a house in Scarborough. There is shopping available, strong community support and several beaches nearby.

Old Today, 06:12 PM

39 posts, read 31,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I put a house under contract in Scarborough this week. It was the fifth offer that this family has written and the third where they offered substantially more than list price to win it; they are very happy after losing out in a few other communities, this was there first try a house in Scarborough. There is shopping available, strong community support and several beaches nearby.
Sounds like they overpaid.

So tough out there right now. Horrible time to buy.

Old Today, 08:15 PM

133 posts, read 74,357 times
Take a look at Falmouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area