Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 08:01 PM

4 posts, read 2,900 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am a native Mainer in my early 30s, moving back to our beautiful state at the end of summer after having spent many years elsewhere for school and work (Chicago, NYC, Oakland). As a Mainer, I know I’m biased, but it’s my favorite place on earth, and I’m looking forward to reconnecting with my roots. No other place I’ve lived matches Maine’s humility or grace.

I’m a licensed social worker in California right now, and I’m a little nervous about what the social service/non-profit job market is like there, particularly in Cumberland County. Anyone have advice or insight here? I’ll be settling in the greater Portland area, where my family lives. I also saw that one stat that listed Maine as having the oldest residents (lol!). Can anyone share your experience about socializing in Maine as a young(ish) single person? It is my home, but after so much time away, I feel in many ways that it is new territory for me.

Thank you everyone for your time, so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 08:07 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,626,736 times
"I’m a little nervous about what the social service/non-profit job market is like there, particularly in Cumberland County."

Let not thy heart be troubled. Cumberland County and the surrounding area is ground zero for social services in Maine. Half of Maine's population lives within 50 miles of Congress Street in Portland and half of that is water! If you want to live rural, there are social services here also, but they involve long travel times.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reassurance, Northern Maine!

Old 06-03-2018, 12:33 PM

631 posts, read 559,133 times
One of my parents' best friends (I used to babysit their kids) made a career in social work in Portland. He has had different positions and rose up the ranks in authority and pay. He and his wife have a nice house and have had a good life.

Portland is not an urban mecca on par with Boston and other major cities, but it does attract a fair number of young people from other areas. A friend of mine moved there from Burlington, VT about 5 years ago. It attracts some young professionals for its... outdoor opportunities, social and cultural opportunities within the city itself... and, of course, job opportunities. It probably does best in Maine at keeping its younger people at home. One reason Maine is considered the oldest in average age is that it receives very little international immigration... it may be the lowest among the states on this measure.

Last edited by 2ner; 06-03-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 03:53 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,211,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_sunnie View Post
Hi all!

I am a native Mainer in my early 30s, moving back to our beautiful state at the end of summer after having spent many years elsewhere for school and work (Chicago, NYC, Oakland). As a Mainer, I know I’m biased, but it’s my favorite place on earth, and I’m looking forward to reconnecting with my roots. No other place I’ve lived matches Maine’s humility or grace.

I’m a licensed social worker in California right now, and I’m a little nervous about what the social service/non-profit job market is like there, particularly in Cumberland County. Anyone have advice or insight here? I’ll be settling in the greater Portland area, where my family lives. I also saw that one stat that listed Maine as having the oldest residents (lol!). Can anyone share your experience about socializing in Maine as a young(ish) single person? It is my home, but after so much time away, I feel in many ways that it is new territory for me.

Thank you everyone for your time, so much!
You'll be fine socially and there are lots of jobs in that sector, although I know social work/non-profit is a woefully underpaid profession, especially in Maine. I'm sure you'll find the quality of life that you'll get and being close to family offsets the financial loss.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:39 PM

2ner and WhoFanMe — thanks to you both for your encouragement and wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
View detailed profiles of: