Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:46 AM

23 posts, read 97,250 times

Advertisements

Me and husband are trying to see if Maine is for us. We are moving from Tennessee. What are the negative and the postives about Portland?
What is the best area? Is it hard to get a job there?
What would you recommend Portland Maine or Beverly, Mass??
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM

252 posts, read 709,961 times
Where are you moving from in TN? What kind of work do you do? You will find that most places in Portland are safe. I don't know anything about Peabody, MA, but am looking forward to moving back to Portland from the Memphis, TN area.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Portland's economy is better than most of the country right now and it's far safer than Beverly, Mass.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 PM

23 posts, read 97,250 times
Hi, We are living right now in knoxville, TN, and want to move to Portland Maine or Beverly Mass. A lot of people told me that Beverly is the best place to live in MASS, but I also find out that Portland Maine is good too. So I'm trying to choose the right place, and to get as much information as I can.
For me, I'm a hair stylist and I also work in the West Town Mall in Knoxville, TN. I want to transfer to Portland, but I don't know if they have Big Malls there.

Can you tell me more about Portland, Maine? The best area to rent apt. Can you find a job easy, transportation, outdoor sports (soccer), school, Big shopping centers (Malls). I would appreciate.
Thank you

Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM

513 posts, read 896,642 times
I don't think you'll have a problem finding a stylist job, there are plenty of salons in Portland. We have a Mall in South Portland which is right next to Portland, called the Maine Mall. There are plenty of nice apartments in nice neighborhoods. Try this site and explore.

http://www.portlandregion.com hold cursor over the Why Greater Portland box at the top of the home page then select the living here option. I hope this helps. Good luck with your research.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
The Maine Mall is the only big mall in Portland. However, you are going to find a much higher cost of living in Portland than you are used to in Knoxville. Your electric bill will be double for starters.
We're looking to relocate to the Knoxville area.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:24 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,262 times
What kind of jobs and industries are located in Maine? Is it a growing economy? Who are the large employers? My wife and I have considered moving to Maine before, we live in Minnesota right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
What kind of jobs and industries are located in Maine? Is it a growing economy? Who are the large employers? My wife and I have considered moving to Maine before, we live in Minnesota right now. Any help would be appreciated.
Industries? Well, lets see, there is the tourist industry and.........

not much else. Big employers.......the biggest in Portland would be Maine Medical Center, I believe.

I moved to Portland from Minnesota and unless you really love the ocean like I do, you might be better off just staying there. The cost of living in Portland is almost equal to that of Minneapolis, except the cost of goods and services here cost more while jobs pay less. Also, now one knows what lutefisk is, or a hot dish (actually, it's good that nobody knows). Mention brats and the person you are talking to will think that you are talking about snotty children.

The good side is that the winters in Maine are about 20F warmer and the summers do not even get as humid as it does in Minnesota. There are less mosquitos, too.

What kind of work are you looking for?

Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
The largest industry in Maine is the Federal, State and Municipal governments, including the State Day Care (school system.) This is followed by the service industry, led by LL Bean, health care, colleges, banking, insurance and tourism.

There is a limited amount of traditional manufacturing, agriculture and fishing left in the state.

Few positions pay very well. Many work two or more jobs, depending how aggressive they are. There is plenty of opportunity to work for yourself and come out ahead. Income taxes kick in around $18k, Health care will cost you $1-2k per month. That is why it is a good idea to try to work for an employer who will offer subsidized health insurance.

Electricity is @0.18/KWH, regular gas is $3.35 this week, food is expensive (milk at almost $5/gal. and Fairpoint just bought out Verizon's land line telephone service this week. Expect the price of that to go up to service their debt.

Don't take a move lightly, without doing some research. Outside of the urban areas, there is plenty of affordable real estate and recreation, if you find the time. Life below the Volvo line can be scary expensive.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:25 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Health care will cost you $1-2k per month.
Is that for a family of four, or just an individual?

Either way, it is no wonder why MaineCare is so popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area