Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:18 PM

177 posts, read 410,327 times

Advertisements

In searching for our Portland area home, I searched the real estate section of the Portland Press Herald. I found some listings that were new to me and contacted my agent. She told me that these particular listings were outdated (some of the houses had closed already) and that this may be because the Portland Press Herald is going out of business soon.

So, is there a reliable print news source in Portland, Maine? Or is the town's one and only newspaper going out of business? that would be troubling to me. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 03:53 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
In searching for our Portland area home, I searched the real estate section of the Portland Press Herald. I found some listings that were new to me and contacted my agent. She told me that these particular listings were outdated (some of the houses had closed already) and that this may be because the Portland Press Herald is going out of business soon.

So, is there a reliable print news source in Portland, Maine? Or is the town's one and only newspaper going out of business? that would be troubling to me. Thanks for any info.
Oh no! What will I start the fire with, roll up for fireplace logs, line the bird cage and the cat box with, wrap fish in, train puppies on, start baby chicks on, swat bugs with, pack glass items with? What a tragic loss that newspaper would be! It would double my paper towel costs!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:45 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,960 times
PPH announced some staff layoffs recently, but I doubt they're going completely out of business anytime soon. If worse came to worse I expect they'd be sold, not fold...

Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
Fish wrap!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
The daily newspapers in Portland, Augusta and Waterville, along with the weeklies and online sites they own in Maine, are for sale. The current owners are hoping to get half of what they paid for the properties a decade ago. Just like real estate in today's market, not every investment is a good deal. Eventually (just like real estate) the price will become attractive enough for a company, most likely another newspaper company, to buy the package when they perceive value.

rossco, since you already have an agent, you should be able to rely on them to send you properties from their MLS access or give you their web site to search on, that would be clearly more efficient than trying to navigate the newspaper's online site, which only has those who pay to be included (a small percentage). If you are looking specifically for For Sale By Owners, there are sites available for those too.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 PM

177 posts, read 410,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
The daily newspapers in Portland, Augusta and Waterville, along with the weeklies and online sites they own in Maine, are for sale. The current owners are hoping to get half of what they paid for the properties a decade ago. Just like real estate in today's market, not every investment is a good deal. Eventually (just like real estate) the price will become attractive enough for a company, most likely another newspaper company, to buy the package when they perceive value.

rossco, since you already have an agent, you should be able to rely on them to send you properties from their MLS access or give you their web site to search on, that would be clearly more efficient than trying to navigate the newspaper's online site, which only has those who pay to be included (a small percentage). If you are looking specifically for For Sale By Owners, there are sites available for those too.
Thanks WhoFanMe. I actually already do rely on my agent to send me new lisitngs - i was looking specifically for FSBO listings at the time. I've looked at the FSBO web sites as well. I'm just trying to be comprehensive in our search, especially now that we have our house sold with no where yet to move to.

regarding the newspaper - i get all my news online on the washington post, but i still feel that it's important to have a local paper - even if they only posted on a website. where do folks up there look for local news/events/activites/sports/etc?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 PM

513 posts, read 896,856 times
Technology brings changes. All you have to do to get news or anything else the paper has to offer is just go online, bypass the paper version. The postal service is also losing revenue due to email and online payment options. Just a sign of the times.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,350 times
exactly what mainsnowflake said. Its only a matter of time before technology is used for everything and we're not even going to need a post office, or schools because everything will be available online

Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
"So, is there a reliable print news source in Portland, Maine"

The short answer is, "No."

The PPH has been a tool of our majority party for the past few decades and Maine's citizens have realized the cause of our reliable status of having the highest tax burden in the nation. They rejoice during the occasional year when we drop down to second place. Mainers know that the PPH has aided their agenda. That realization has brought about a precipitous collapse of both advertising revenue and subscribers.

"Pravda on the Penobscot" or the Bangor Daily News is no better. Don't feed that beast.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Oh no! What will I start the fire with, roll up for fireplace logs, line the bird cage and the cat box with, wrap fish in, train puppies on, start baby chicks on, swat bugs with, pack glass items with? What a tragic loss that newspaper would be! It would double my paper towel costs!
We use the Bangor paper for those things, and more!

There is a cool place right near the airport, that has a drive-through car port, and behind these low walls, folks leave stacks of newspapers tied in bundles.

I go there sometimes and pickup ten or twnety bundles of Bangor newspapers.

Our cat is picky she only wants to use them if my Dw shreds them first though.

We burn most of the bundles that I get. Made into logs and soaked in WVO.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area