U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 10:34 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,689,805 times

Advertisements

I saw you holding up a tractor-trailer, going about 55 or 60 in a 70 zone on a clear day, passing multiple signs that read, "keep right except to pass," but you continue on in the trucks' passing lane, merely keeping pace with the slowpokes in the right, creating a rolling road block down the right two lanes of the turnpike. Were you perhaps wondering why that trucker didn't simply pass you on the left? Perhaps all the signs prohibiting trucks from the left lane might give you a clue! Or perhaps you were too busy on your phone to notice that you were holding people up! Move over! The signs and the law both say keep right, not keep middle. Such behavior is just plain ignorant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 05:46 PM

19,274 posts, read 25,666,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I saw you holding up a tractor-trailer, going about 55 or 60 in a 70 zone on a clear day, passing multiple signs that read, "keep right except to pass," but you continue on in the trucks' passing lane, merely keeping pace with the slowpokes in the right, creating a rolling road block down the right two lanes of the turnpike. Were you perhaps wondering why that trucker didn't simply pass you on the left? Perhaps all the signs prohibiting trucks from the left lane might give you a clue! Or perhaps you were too busy on your phone to notice that you were holding people up! Move over! The signs and the law both say keep right, not keep middle. Such behavior is just plain ignorant.
I agree!!

I travel turnpike and 95 every other day..

my biggest complaints are the prius's and Subaru's going 10 mph under the speed limit..mostly around the Portland area topsham south to scarborough

Old 10-25-2018, 01:58 PM

32,398 posts, read 52,689,444 times
I drive on I-95 nearly every day. I normally set my cruise control at 82.

I rarely go below mile-marker 150, though yesterday I was all the way down to mile 109.

I drive a Prius plug-in, I like it because we charge it up using our home's solar power system and I can drive on that for the first half of most trips.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:57 PM

894 posts, read 1,080,020 times
Seems to be the unspoken rule is that the right lane is for people coming onto the highway or slowing down to take the exit, middle lane is for "normal" driving, and left lane is for passing.

Whether the signs say that or not, it seems like this is how the majority of people treat it.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:57 PM

812 posts, read 2,012,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Seems to be the unspoken rule is that the right lane is for people coming onto the highway or slowing down to take the exit, middle lane is for "normal" driving, and left lane is for passing.

Whether the signs say that or not, it seems like this is how the majority of people treat it.
I don't believe that most people clogging the middle lane think of it in this regard. I bet most drivers puttering along in the middle (or even the left) lane have no clue, nor care about the fact that they are holding people up. BUT that is why there are horns and high beams! Get out of my way.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:53 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,177,839 times
Middle is keeping to the right of left. Keeping right doesn't say keep as far right as you possible. No one is required to drive faster than the posted speed limit to accommodate anyone's personal preference. On ramps with vehicles coming in from the right occur occasionally rather than constantly. It's a courteous gesture to move over for vehicles trying to merge from the right, but not a law. The merging vehicles might have to yield or even stop. ... and what "rules" would you expect others to follow when there are not two or three interstates lanes, but four or five all going north or all going south?

So many people are in such a big hurry, drive way too fast... enjoy the journey that doesn't always have to be at speeds exceeding the speed limit or causing accidents.

One day just driving Ellsworth to Bangor my teenage niece who has her driver's license and I counted 11 incidents of illegal driving. Examples: A stop sign is just a suggestion, not a requirement. It's ok to pass on double lines on Rt. 1A even if there are cars coming and you are already exceeding the speed limit. Pull out in front of anyone you want and expect them to just get out of YOUR way. Blinker? what's that?

Old 09-22-2019, 04:46 PM

3,926 posts, read 3,265,443 times
If you travel in the right lane, unless you want to go really slowly, you will be at the mercy of all those people who have no idea how to MERGE, as well as long lines at entrances and exits.

I try not to exceed the speed limit, usually just putting my car in auto and usually at about 70, I don’t have to speed up to go around the real slow pokes who should be int he extreme right lane.

But the Ellsworth to Bangor run really has just a hill passing lane which I’m rarely in.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:11 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,689,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Keeping right doesn't say keep as far right as you possible.

Yes, as a matter of fact, it does, at least as far as the Interstates in Maine are concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Revised Statutes, Title 29-A, §2052
"An operator driving on a limited-access way with a speed limit of 65 or more miles per hour is restricted in ordinary operation to the right-hand lane and may use adjacent lanes for overtaking and passing another vehicle, but must return to the right-hand lane at the earliest opportunity."

That doesn't negate the speed limit, of course, and I never said that it did. A good driver should know and obey them both, as well as all the other rules of the road.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:18 PM

305 posts, read 66,226 times
Point to note here is that it is also illegal to drive above the speed limit in any lane, so if you are traveling faster than people in the center lane who are at the limit you are breaking the law. I don't think one law takes precedent over the other. While driving in some tremendous thunderstorms recently both the right lane and the left lane had numerous deep puddles, but the center lane was fine because of the slight hump in the road. Made sense to travel in the center lane. In practical terms, if you are frequently having to slow up and/or move to the center lane because of merging traffic and/or slow traffic, I believe it promotes general traffic flow to cruise in the center lane at an appropriate speed.

Last edited by Zephyr2; 08-25-2020 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-27-2020, 10:08 AM

9,526 posts, read 17,560,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
Point to note here is that it is also illegal to drive above the speed limit in any lane, so if you are traveling faster than people in the center lane who are at the limit you are breaking the law. I don't think one law takes precedent over the other. While driving in some tremendous thunderstorms recently both the right lane and the left lane had numerous deep puddles, but the center lane was fine because of the slight hump in the road. Made sense to travel in the center lane. In practical terms, if you are frequently having to slow up and/or move to the center lane because of merging traffic and/or slow traffic, I believe it promotes general traffic flow to cruise in the center lane at an appropriate speed.
It's absolutely true that both are illegal. And to that end, I guess you could paint with broad brush strokes and call everyone who either speeds or cruises in the left/center lane a law breaker/bad driver. But I think there are practical exceptions, like what you're describing (I do the same thing). While I definitely agree that speed limits are important/necessary, I think they are only one factor in the overall "safe driving" picture. Realistically, weather conditions and the flow of traffic are more important than speed limits when it comes to road safety.

For example, I've driven on the Turnpike during storms when the signs were flashing "Speed Limit 45" and it wasn't safe to go much faster than 25. 45 would have been downright dangerous, even if it was technically legal. There are vehicles and drivers that are more dangerous at 55 than other vehicles and drivers are at 75. And when it comes to flow of traffic, a driver sitting in the left lane going 65 when everyone else is going 70-75 is more dangerous than those around them since they're obstructing the flow of traffic even if both the speeders and the left lane sitters are technically breaking the law. Plus there's the matter of enforcement - speeders are consistently stopped and cited whereas left lane sitters are not.

For the record, I actually have no issue with people cruising in the center lane. In my experience on 3 lane highways like the Turnpike from Kittery-Portland, it seems to be the most efficient means of travel since it frees up the right lane for exiting/entering and it keeps the left lane free for passing. The exits are spaced out enough so that people can also cruise in the right lane, however. This isn't always the case in more built up areas where there's an exit every mile (or fewer). In that case, center lane travel makes even more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area