U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:48 AM

15 posts, read 11,760 times

Advertisements

I flew to Portland last Tuesday, planning to spend 4 days in the area and I spent the whole Wednesday surveying the area.
At the end of the day, I realized that I can't make a decision about in which town I want to live permanently in such a short period of time.
So I switched to Plan B and decided to look for a month-to-month apartment and spend 1, 2 or 3 months really getting to know the area before I make a well informed decision and rent an apartment with a 1-year lease.
Luckily, I found a nice unit in North Deering, Portland with a M2M lease. Commute to Kennebunk will be 30 minutes (in dry weather, probably 45 during snowfalls) but this will make me really understand how life here is without committing to a long lease.
And, who knows, maybe I'll stay for good in the North Deering apartment.

This Forum has been so helpful to me.
Thanks for your great support, all of you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:53 AM

813 posts, read 2,021,468 times
Welcome to Portland (even if it is a short stay). Your idea is solid as you may find the commute south quite daunting. If you plan to do a possible monthly rental in NH also, I'd keep a PO Box in your current state so that you can claim residency there. You will have to pay Maine state taxes even if you are living in NH for a brief amount of time if you start your job living in ME.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:28 AM

dubthang: thanks for your warm welcome. Yes, commuting south during snowstorms may prove to be quite daunting, but the only way to really know is to do it. I had a Psychology teacher in high school that taught us that "experience is not transferable", meaning that, regardless of how much I read online and all that you kind folks in this forum tell me, I will get the real understanding only by actually living here and commuting in bad weather.

Thanks for your tax advice. In this 4 days I started to get acquainted with Portland (I even have new friends there already) and I think I like its simple way of life. Portsmouth downtown is really, really charming in the evening, but I'm not sure I can afford to live there.

Like I said, time will tell, and I'm glad that I have a place to live now and I can start my new life here when I fly back to Portland this coming Thursday.

Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2018, 11:52 AM

I just checked Dover online and I have to say that I'm impressed with the inexpensive apartment prices there. On Craigslist, 1-bedroom apartments range from $900 to $1300, with the $1300 units being right in downtown Dover and they are spacious apartments. Such units in downtown Portland start at $1400 and they are tiny.
Maybe this is because Dover is the "shadow town" of Portsmouth and its more rural, but it's at spitting distance from Portsmouth anyway.
Anyway, thanks for the people that mentioned Dover.
I've no idea right now of where I'll end up, but knowing that there are more towns as options is really helpful.

Like I said before, this forum has been really helpful to me and I do appreciate the wonderful help you all are giving me.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:08 PM

32,510 posts, read 52,926,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoWest View Post
I just checked Dover online and I have to say that I'm impressed with the inexpensive apartment prices there. On Craigslist, 1-bedroom apartments range from $900 to $1300, with the $1300 units being right in downtown Dover and they are spacious apartments. Such units in downtown Portland start at $1400 and they are tiny.

... Like I said before, this forum has been really helpful to me and I do appreciate the wonderful help you all are giving me.
We had one set of tenants whose lease expired Friday. This morning the new tenant signed her lease.

This is a studio loft apartment of 2000 sq ft renting for $700/month, heat included, in Old Town Maine.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe this is because Dover is the "shadow town" of Portsmouth and its more rural, but it's at spitting distance from Portsmouth anyway.
Anyway, thanks for the people that mentioned Dover.
I've no idea right now of where I'll end up, but knowing that there are more towns as options is really helpful.

Like I said before, this forum has been really helpful to me and I do appreciate the wonderful help you all are giving me.
I would not call Dover rural. It has everything one needs making trips into Portsmouth only necessary for entertainment purposes. Portsmouth is not really a major city. You will find that the areas around Portsmouth are also quite vibrant and bigger than Portsmouth.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,701,403 times
Quote:
-I'm a single boomer man, no kids and started the relocation process from California for a new job close to Kennebunk. I'm really excited to move to the Northeast.
-I'm looking for a town that has access to standard needs, like good health care, proximity to a decent size supermarket, some outdoors recreation/trails, health club, movie theater, train station, etc. I'm not looking for anything hip or fancy but I don't see myself living in the country either.
-I'm planning to rent a small place at first, then see if it makes sense to buy, once I know the area better.
-The Kennebunk area seems too expensive for me, so I'm looking at nearby towns
-Saco seems to be located at a decent commute time from work (15-20 minutes) while giving me access to Portland's amenities at a 25 minutes drive.
-Wells seems like an attractive town but I'm wondering if it's one of those beach towns that are crowded with tourists in the summer and become a ghost town in winter, which I wouldn't appreciate. Also, Wells is at roughly 35 minutes from both Portland and Portsmouth, which could be a plus.

Any suggestions to help me find what is the town that fits my needs, please?

Should I reduce the commute time to work to a minimum due to icy roads and snow in the winter?
I don't mind a 15-30 minute commute to work, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem in the winter.
I've never lived in a climate like Maine's. I'm really looking forward to enjoy it and adapt but I need some advice.

Thanks!!

I think you might be overestimating how much snowy weather slows down traffic. Yes, you need to slow down and take your time, but it's not like you'll be going 5 miles per hour all the way into work, either, unless you're trying to drive in on bald summer tires. A 15 minute commute might turn into a 25 minute commute at worst. Get a set of tires with the mountain snowflake symbol on them, preferably studded if you can tolerate the extra road noise, and spend some time practicing in an empty, snow-covered parking lot to learn how your car will handle. That, and a bit of common sense will go a long way toward keeping you safe in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
New from California-please help-winter_tire_snowflake_symbol.jpg  

Old 12-05-2018, 06:33 PM

Submariner: thanks for the studio tip. Last Saturday I signed up for a month-to-month lease in North Deering, Portland. This is just temporary, to give me time to really get to know Maine's coastal area and decide on a 1-year lease.
Dubthang: I'll definitely consider Dover as an option when I start looking for 1-year leases.
CoastalMaineiac: thanks for the tip about snow tires. I shipped my Prius last Monday and I plan to fit it with snow tires when I receive it in Maine.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:25 AM

I want to drive to Montreal from Portland when my daughter is visiting me for the long New Year's weekend.
Anyone knows what is the best route to take?
Google Maps shows two routes:
1) going through White Mountain National Forest (road 113 then 302) and then taking highway 91 and then highway 10 to Montreal
2) taking road 26 and finally highway 10.

I'm afraid that going through White Mountain National Fores could be a lot of mountain roads, not so easy for a trip like this. The other route, taking road 26, seems flatter.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2018, 06:31 PM

The drive through the Whites is not bad at all. I drive it all the time to get to VT. Lots of great scenery too. If you want a unique VT experience, jump off of 91 in Barton to swing over to Parker Pie in neighboring West Glover. They have amazing pizzas, and a bunch of beers of tap from the country's best brewery, Hill Farmstead. The restaurant is tucked into a country store that is also really the only thing in town.

Option 2 is also hilly through Maine and into NH. The major difference is that it is much more rural. There is very little in northern NH. Just zoom in on Google maps to search for (the lack of) town names. Option 1 is traveled more, and has been cell reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area