U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:38 AM

4,346 posts, read 2,004,881 times

Advertisements

I haven't been on it for awhile, but 302 in the Whites is a 2-lane rural road... however, it's not one of these skinny rural roads that's really twisty and turny with big trees running thick right next to the pavement - it's fairly straight (considering) and has a wide shoulder and a generous tree cut, so you can make pretty good time without undue stress, as long as you don't (feel a) need to pass a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 08:03 PM

15 posts, read 11,793 times
Dubthang: thanks for your prompt and great response! Your personal experience about all these country roads is invaluable to me, a complete newcomer to this area. Besides, I'm thrilled about living now at only a 5 hour drive from Montreal, so I may do this trip again in the future, since I speak intermediate French and I'm excited about seeing beautiful Montreal for the first time. In order to avoid making the trip too tiring, I'm planning to stop to sleep at a motel half-way. Fairbanks Inn, at the intersection of highway 91 and 93, seems like a good option for that purpose.
I may also follow your advice and jump off of 91 in Barton to taste local fare.
Thanks again!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:24 PM

4,346 posts, read 2,004,881 times
Montreal is beautiful and well worth the visit, but if you haven't been there, don't overlook Quebec City for another trip. Particularly within the stone walls of the old city, it's really beautiful.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:48 PM

814 posts, read 2,025,131 times
As you may already know, the farther you get away from any urban area, the more rural it gets when headed north around here. When getting closer to Canada, there can be very little in the way of resources. Make sure you research your trip so that you know where to get food, gas, etc. Also, it will be very likely that your phone may switch over to Canadian towers before you even get there. This is good to know so that you don't pay for international roaming charges. If you drive a lot of long distance trips than you already know this and will be fine.

There is a big town on the boarder of VT and Canada called Newport. The previous big town will be St. Johnsbury if you take 302 across.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:22 PM

OutdoorLover: you are right, I need to include Quebec City in future travel plans

Dubthang: that is an excellent point. I completely missed the point that, once I cross the border, I would need an international plan, which would be expensive. My main need for my smartphone is GPS but, if I load the maps before I reach the border, and then I set my phone to Airplane Mode, hopefully I should be alright. Once in Canada, I can use a WiFi network and use an app like WhatsApp if I need to make a call. That's what I have done in Europe and it worked fine.
Again, I completely missed the reality that I would be in another country.

Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:23 AM

555 posts, read 616,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoWest View Post
OutdoorLover: you are right, I need to include Quebec City in future travel plans

Dubthang: that is an excellent point. I completely missed the point that, once I cross the border, I would need an international plan, which would be expensive. My main need for my smartphone is GPS but, if I load the maps before I reach the border, and then I set my phone to Airplane Mode, hopefully I should be alright. Once in Canada, I can use a WiFi network and use an app like WhatsApp if I need to make a call. That's what I have done in Europe and it worked fine.
Again, I completely missed the reality that I would be in another country.

Thanks again.
Depending on your provider and plan, you may not need to do anything special to use your phone in Canada. I have an unlimited Verizon plan and had no billing increases using my iphone for calls or data--I think you get some limit, like 2 gb?, of data in Canada before they start throttling and it gets slow. Give your service provider a call before you go.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:26 AM

Yaeger07: thanks for the tip. I called Verizon and they sent me to an international plan page (at least that's what the robotic voice did-you know, these days robots tell us what to do), so, halfway through my trip Portland-Montreal, I'll load the maps in Google Map, put the phone in Airplane Mode, and wish that works as a GPS -it worked in Europe for me-. Regarding calls, if I need to make one (I'll be a tourist after all, so why calling people from there?), I can connect to WiFi in a cafe and use WhatsApp, which works wonders.
Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2018, 06:04 PM

284 posts, read 273,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooey View Post
If you are considering Portland, which is about 30 minutes north of Kennebunk,
The problem is he would have to pay a fee on the turnpike each way. Wells is probably his best bet, as he could take Rt. 1 then to work in Kennebunk. There are no good grocery stores in Kennebunk.

I would not recommend Saco or Biddeford as the police are morons.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:14 PM

284 posts, read 273,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoWest View Post
-I'm a single boomer man, no kids and started the relocation process from California for a new job close to Kennebunk. I'm really excited to move to the Northeast.
-I'm looking for a town that has access to standard needs, like good health care, proximity to a decent size supermarket, some outdoors recreation/trails, health club, movie theater, train station, etc. I'm not looking for anything hip or fancy but I don't see myself living in the country either.
-I'm planning to rent a small place at first, then see if it makes sense to buy, once I know the area better.
-The Kennebunk area seems too expensive for me, so I'm looking at nearby towns
-Saco seems to be located at a decent commute time from work (15-20 minutes) while giving me access to Portland's amenities at a 25 minutes drive.
-Wells seems like an attractive town but I'm wondering if it's one of those beach towns that are crowded with tourists in the summer and become a ghost town in winter, which I wouldn't appreciate. Also, Wells is at roughly 35 minutes from both Portland and Portsmouth, which could be a plus.

Any suggestions to help me find what is the town that fits my needs, please?

Should I reduce the commute time to work to a minimum due to icy roads and snow in the winter?
I don't mind a 15-30 minute commute to work, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem in the winter.
I've never lived in a climate like Maine's. I'm really looking forward to enjoy it and adapt but I need some advice.

Thanks!!
My condolences that you are moving to Maine. I relocated from Maine to California is 2000. Maine is not as liberal as California, and there are a lot of rednecks and backwards there. They even elected a republican governor twice (LePage) and do not have expanded Medicaid, lol. They are the laughing stock of the nation. They were one of the last states to go to a card system for food stamps and still gave you paper food stamps when other states made made the shift years before. When I tried to use my Maine paper food stamps at an out-of-state store once, they freaked. They also send you a paper letter each month as your Medicaid card, where other states give you a real plastic card.

You will find yourself in a high-cost, high-tax, low-income state with horrendous snow. It also rains in the spring, summer, and fall sometimes, which is inconvenient. We rarely get rain in those seasons here in California).

They also make their driver's licenses super thin. When I got pulled over once out-of-state, the policeman did not believe my Maine DL was real since it was so thin.

They also implemented an incompatible Maine Transpass system for electronic tolling when all the other nearby states were using E-ZPass.

Maine does not have normal stores like Walgreens, Costco, Lowe's, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Dick's, Ulta Beauty, Petsmart, etc. They have weird stores called LaVerdiere's, Lechter's, Filene's Basement, and Jordan Marsh.

And Interstate 90 heads north to Portland, crosses over on the Falmouth spur to the east, and takes over I-295 to go north to Bath/Brunswick. And the Maine Turnpike mysteriously becomes I-495 and heads through Lewiston/Auburn.

There are two exit 4's on I-90: one in York, and one 30 miles north in Biddeford. How's that for confusion?

Last edited by milkit; 12-22-2018 at 06:26 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 07:23 PM

32,557 posts, read 53,025,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
... You will find yourself in a high-cost, high-tax, low-income state with horrendous snow. It also rains in the spring, summer, and fall sometimes, which is inconvenient. We rarely get rain in those seasons here in California).
I am from California, California rarely gets rain.

My experiences in Maine have been that it is mostly low-cost and low-taxes. I like the snow.

Quote:
... They also implemented an incompatible Maine Transpass system for electronic tolling when all the other nearby states were using E-ZPass.
Most Mainers will see a toll road once or twice a year, so why spend money on a MD system?

Quote:
... Maine does not have normal stores like Walgreens, Costco, Lowe's, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Dick's, Ulta Beauty, Petsmart, etc. They have weird stores called LaVerdiere's, Lechter's, Filene's Basement, and Jordan Marsh.
In Maine we have Costco, Lowes and Dicks, though I am not familiar with your LaVerdiere's, Lechter's, Filene's, or Jordan Marsh.

Quote:
... And Interstate 90 heads north to Portland, crosses over on the Falmouth spur to the east, and takes over I-295 to go north to Bath/Brunswick. And the Maine Turnpike mysteriously becomes I-495 and heads through Lewiston/Auburn.

There are two exit 4's on I-90: one in York, and one 30 miles north in Biddeford. How's that for confusion?
I live in the Southern half of Maine, roughly 3 and 1/2 hours North of Portland. So when you say head North to Portland, I am confused.

Have you ever visited Maine?

It is a nice state, but seriously you need to get away from NH and Portland.

I-95 is posted at 75mph you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area