U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 08:53 AM

813 posts, read 2,020,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
My condolences that you are moving to Maine. I relocated from Maine to California is 2000. Maine is not as liberal as California, and there are a lot of rednecks and backwards there. They even elected a republican governor twice (LePage) and do not have expanded Medicaid, lol. They are the laughing stock of the nation. They were one of the last states to go to a card system for food stamps and still gave you paper food stamps when other states made made the shift years before. When I tried to use my Maine paper food stamps at an out-of-state store once, they freaked. They also send you a paper letter each month as your Medicaid card, where other states give you a real plastic card.
Submariner has already broken a bunch of this apart, but a lot has changed since 2000. Food stamps are now done through a plastic EBT card, we now have a new governor, and she will implement expanded Madicaid (which is something the people of Maine have voted for twice).

Quote:
You will find yourself in a high-cost, high-tax, low-income state with horrendous snow. It also rains in the spring, summer, and fall sometimes, which is inconvenient. We rarely get rain in those seasons here in California).
Yes, it rains here which means we don't have to deal with drought. The snow is fine if you like snow.

Quote:
They also make their driver's licenses super thin. When I got pulled over once out-of-state, the policeman did not believe my Maine DL was real since it was so thin.

They also implemented an incompatible Maine Transpass system for electronic tolling when all the other nearby states were using E-ZPass.
We have normal licenses. However, we currently do not have RealID in place. I am not sure if you can get a RealID card in January, but it is coming by July(?) of 2019. We use EZPass in Maine, and it is accepted up and down the East Coast.

Quote:
Maine does not have normal stores like Walgreens, Costco, Lowe's, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Dick's, Ulta Beauty, Petsmart, etc. They have weird stores called LaVerdiere's, Lechter's, Filene's Basement, and Jordan Marsh.
Portland has several Walgreen's, There is a Lowe's and a Dick's too. I am surrounded by O'Reilly's... and Napa, and Advanced. In the age of Amazon, it really doesn't matter anyways.

Quote:
And Interstate 90 heads north to Portland, crosses over on the Falmouth spur to the east, and takes over I-295 to go north to Bath/Brunswick. And the Maine Turnpike mysteriously becomes I-495 and heads through Lewiston/Auburn.

There are two exit 4's on I-90: one in York, and one 30 miles north in Biddeford. How's that for confusion?
This is wrong now. 95 is the turnpike. 295 is now the old 95. 495 is now a connecting spur in Falmouth. Maine straightened out their highway system, and the renumbered the exits so now they go by mileage, not in numerical order.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 07:01 PM

44 posts, read 59,444 times
When we moved to Maine (from California) the first day 4-5 people we didn't know brought food, helped and offered a phone (this was before cells were so common). I truly miss Maine.

Before we moved I subscribed to the Portland Press Sunday to see classified, etc. It usually came Wed but fine for my use

Old 03-07-2019, 06:55 PM

305 posts, read 427,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
As you may already know, the farther you get away from any urban area, the more rural it gets when headed north around here. When getting closer to Canada, there can be very little in the way of resources. Make sure you research your trip so that you know where to get food, gas, etc. Also, it will be very likely that your phone may switch over to Canadian towers before you even get there. This is good to know so that you don't pay for international roaming charges. If you drive a lot of long distance trips than you already know this and will be fine.

There is a big town on the boarder of VT and Canada called Newport. The previous big town will be St. Johnsbury if you take 302 across.
Newport and surrounding areas are some of my favorite places to go and be when I want to get away, sit on the pier overlooking the lake, relax and leave the world behind.

There are a ton of places in NH and Maine that are a bit off the beaten path, but wonderful places to live, and yes, VT has some outstanding places too.

I travel the areas a lot and started a blog: offthebeatenpathwithskip.com

while Montreal and Toronto are nice, I much prefer Old Quebec.

In many cases as pointed out by a few others, go 10 - 15 miles outside of the cites and get twice the house for half as much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area