Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 04:34 PM

15 posts, read 16,203 times

Advertisements

-I'm a single boomer man, no kids and started the relocation process from California for a new job close to Kennebunk. I'm really excited to move to the Northeast.
-I'm looking for a town that has access to standard needs, like good health care, proximity to a decent size supermarket, some outdoors recreation/trails, health club, movie theater, train station, etc. I'm not looking for anything hip or fancy but I don't see myself living in the country either.
-I'm planning to rent a small place at first, then see if it makes sense to buy, once I know the area better.
-The Kennebunk area seems too expensive for me, so I'm looking at nearby towns
-Saco seems to be located at a decent commute time from work (15-20 minutes) while giving me access to Portland's amenities at a 25 minutes drive.
-Wells seems like an attractive town but I'm wondering if it's one of those beach towns that are crowded with tourists in the summer and become a ghost town in winter, which I wouldn't appreciate. Also, Wells is at roughly 35 minutes from both Portland and Portsmouth, which could be a plus.

Any suggestions to help me find what is the town that fits my needs, please?

Should I reduce the commute time to work to a minimum due to icy roads and snow in the winter?
I don't mind a 15-30 minute commute to work, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem in the winter.
I've never lived in a climate like Maine's. I'm really looking forward to enjoy it and adapt but I need some advice.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 08:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,620,776 times
Don't worry about snow. Everything from Portland to Portsmouth is quite flat.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:34 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,210,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoWest View Post
-I'm a single boomer man, no kids and started the relocation process from California for a new job close to Kennebunk. I'm really excited to move to the Northeast.
-I'm looking for a town that has access to standard needs, like good health care, proximity to a decent size supermarket, some outdoors recreation/trails, health club, movie theater, train station, etc. I'm not looking for anything hip or fancy but I don't see myself living in the country either.
-I'm planning to rent a small place at first, then see if it makes sense to buy, once I know the area better.
-The Kennebunk area seems too expensive for me, so I'm looking at nearby towns
-Saco seems to be located at a decent commute time from work (15-20 minutes) while giving me access to Portland's amenities at a 25 minutes drive.
-Wells seems like an attractive town but I'm wondering if it's one of those beach towns that are crowded with tourists in the summer and become a ghost town in winter, which I wouldn't appreciate. Also, Wells is at roughly 35 minutes from both Portland and Portsmouth, which could be a plus.

Any suggestions to help me find what is the town that fits my needs, please?

Should I reduce the commute time to work to a minimum due to icy roads and snow in the winter?
I don't mind a 15-30 minute commute to work, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem in the winter.
I've never lived in a climate like Maine's. I'm really looking forward to enjoy it and adapt but I need some advice.

Thanks!!
Have you considered Scarborough?

Old 11-09-2018, 08:51 AM

38 posts, read 37,356 times
If you are considering Portland, which is about 30 minutes north of Kennebunk, Port Property has quite a few apartment listings. I see 1 bedroom apartments going for around $1200/month.

https://www.portpropmgt.com

The state does a great job taking care of the roads in winter. But even so, front wheel drive with winter snow tires would be wise.

The train that serves coastal maine is called the Downeaster. Here's the schedule: View Full Schedule | Amtrak Downeaster
About the only reason to use it would be if you wanted to do a trip down to Boston.

I would think, generally speaking, the closer you are to work the better. But overall, traffic isn't much of a problem. Summer tourist traffic can be a drag, and sometimes Rt 95 backs up pretty bad. But usually only a problem on Weekends. Also, there is a toll in Kennebunk/Wells on Rt 95. So depending on where you originate/exit you may get stuck paying that.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:21 AM

12,178 posts, read 9,260,315 times
Kennebunkport has some super wealthy people in it - some of those homes out by the water are insane. Kennebunk is more normal. I don't frequent that area, but from your description, I would be curious about Scarborough and Westbrook, in addition to Saco. The best hospital in the state is in Portland. The trouble with many of the beach towns in southern Maine is that they tend to be mobbed in summer and ghost towns in winter, plus they tend to be pricey. I-95 will be maintained as well as anything during snowstorms, but even that can be treacherous in the middle of a sustained heavy snow. As someone else said, you do want front-wheel drive and some real winter-capable tires if you need to be out traveling any distance in bad weather.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:26 PM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Welcome to Maine
I am originally from California too.

Since you are planning on renting [smart], I would suggest that you try to find a rental that is close to your job. Try to stay within walking distance.

That way, if the weather scares you, and you simply walk to work. As you later gain confidence with your surroundings, then you can explore a wider radius.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:49 PM

Well, if my future neighbors in Maine are as kind and helpful as all the people who responded to my message are, then I'll be glad to call Maine my new home state!

Northern Maine Land Man: it's good to know that from Portland to Portsmouth is quite flat terrain. Easier to drive there!

WhoFanMe: No, I hadn't considered Scarborough but, yes, you're right, it is another option. I checked the stats and it is indeed a lower crime town, although the median house cost is on the higher end.

Fooey: I checked Port Property as you suggested and, yes, it is an option since, as you pointed out, 1 bedroom apartments are in the $1200/month range, although that may not include an off-street parking spot. Maybe I'm being too cautious but I guess a covered parking spot may help me get to my car during snowfalls.
As you mentioned, I may have to replace my Prius tires with snow tires. Hopefully I won't need a 4 wheel drive if I do that.
You are correct, the reason why I may want to be close to a train station is to go to Boston, since I have family there, although I don't think I'll do this frequently.

OutdoorLover: Yes, like you and WhoFanMe suggested, I think it's worth to look at Scarborough as well.
Kennebunk is more normal than Kennebunkport, but housing prices are still higher than Saco, although I may get lucky and find a good deal.

Submariner: it's nice to see that someone else made it to Maine from California and, for someone like me coming from California, I'll make sure not to have a long commute to make my transition easier.

All in all, I'm kind of leaning towards the Saco area, which, at least on paper, seems to provide all I need in terms of stores like Target, Walmart, Hannaford supermarket, Fitness and coffee shops while being at 15-20 minutes commute from work and 20 minutes from the Maine Mall and Portland. But, of course, when I fly there for my house hunting trip soon I'll be able to see it with my own eyes and check if I'm correct.

Thanks again to all!

Old 11-10-2018, 04:08 PM

2,670 posts, read 2,608,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoWest View Post
Well, if my future neighbors in Maine are as kind and helpful as all the people who responded to my message are, then I'll be glad to call Maine my new home state!
Maine has the friendliest people I've ever met anywhere. The first time I visited Maine, one of my stops was to Chebeque Island just to walk around and see if I liked the neighborhood. During my walk, three people stopped in their cars to make sure I was OK and asked if I wanted a ride somewhere.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:04 PM

jdhpa: I have a friend who went to school in Maine (but grew up somewhere else) and had the same experience you had. I'm sure I won't miss over-stressed people and highway roads transformed into parking lots at rush hour in the SF Bay Area.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:55 AM

375 posts, read 605,704 times
Arundel is adjacent to Kennebunk and should be more affordable, but Saco likely has greater availability than Arundel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area