U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 02:24 PM

25 posts, read 19,858 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Portland Maine in the Spring and I have a few specific questions. Thanks for your honest answers.

Is the homeless situation really as bad as I read about in Portland? Are there specific areas where you see alot of homeless people?

What is the reputation of the Maine Medical Center?

Do most condos in Portland not have Central Air Conditioning?

Is Portland dog friendly?

Thanks for your honest responses.
Keith
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 05:48 PM

1,931 posts, read 4,688,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk0721 View Post
I am moving to Portland Maine in the Spring and I have a few specific questions. Thanks for your honest answers.

Is the homeless situation really as bad as I read about in Portland? Are there specific areas where you see alot of homeless people?

What is the reputation of the Maine Medical Center? As an employer or a patient?

Do most condos in Portland not have Central Air Conditioning? Depends on the price range.

Is Portland dog friendly? Very.

Thanks for your honest responses.
Keith
Are you buying or renting? I've given a few answers above.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:14 PM

25 posts, read 19,858 times
I am buying. My Maine Medical Center question was from a patient's view. Thanks!

Old 12-23-2018, 01:52 PM

813 posts, read 2,020,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk0721 View Post

Yes and no. Bad is a relative term. There are a lot of homeless people in town, and you will see many of them by the shelters and food kitchens. Part of the issue with the homeless population getting a bad rap is due to drug use. There is a lot of drug use here in both the homeless and homed populations.

Quote:
What is the reputation of the Maine Medical Center?
I haven't had any issues with them. They are one of the best facilities around. The wait can be long though.

Quote:
Do most condos in Portland not have Central Air Conditioning?
This is building dependent. Some newer builds have heat pumps that will do both heat and a/c. Some buildings have central air, but it isn't really needed here. You will see lots of window units in the summer hanging off of buildings.

Quote:
Is Portland dog friendly?
Yes and no. There are dog parks around town. I have friends here with dogs. I would not want a dog in the city though.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:45 PM

131 posts, read 94,732 times
shame its not more dog friendly one of the things I love about idaho. How bad is the drug problem exactly because that is what relatives always say when I mention movin to maine I want to be safe and not worry about my kids getting mixed up in stuff.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll88 View Post
shame its not more dog friendly one of the things I love about idaho. How bad is the drug problem exactly because that is what relatives always say when I mention movin to maine I want to be safe and not worry about my kids getting mixed up in stuff.
It's a city so it can only be as dog friendly as a city can be.

As for drugs, New England as a whole is having a hard time with drugs, but kids can get drugs anywhere if they want them badly enough.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:44 AM

36 posts, read 20,152 times
There are drug problems everywhere today. Perhaps if people would stop trying to be being "bffs" with their kids there would be less interest in drugs, including alcohol.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 PM

894 posts, read 1,084,198 times
I've been here 5 years and I'm still not quite sure what the deal is with the "homeless". There are always people on all the major street intersections with signs, hoping that drivers will give them money when they stop at the red light. But at night you never really see any of them hanging around the city. Like, I used to live in Lansing, Michigan, and you'd see the homeless sleeping on the street under building awnings, or on park benches, etc. and I just don't see that here. Makes you wonder if they are actually homeless, or if they are just scamming people, trying to make some easy money and then laughing all the way back to their nice homes up in Falmouth or something.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I've been here 5 years and I'm still not quite sure what the deal is with the "homeless". There are always people on all the major street intersections with signs, hoping that drivers will give them money when they stop at the red light. But at night you never really see any of them hanging around the city. Like, I used to live in Lansing, Michigan, and you'd see the homeless sleeping on the street under building awnings, or on park benches, etc. and I just don't see that here. Makes you wonder if they are actually homeless, or if they are just scamming people, trying to make some easy money and then laughing all the way back to their nice homes up in Falmouth or something.
Many of them do stay at the shelter at night, but some have section 8 housing. The big issue is that many of them collect benefits from the state. They need additional money to pay for "entertainment" so they pan handle. If they got a job, they would lose their benefits (or have them reduced), which would/could lead to them actually making less money, and possibly losing their section 8 housing.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:36 PM

13 posts, read 21,467 times
From my perspective, Portland is one of the most dog-friendly cities I've ever visited or lived in. If fenced dog parks are your thing there are some good ones here, Valley Street and Quarry Road in particular. If you like to go off-leash with your dog, as I do, there are a number of areas within the city limits and the wider area that are designated off-leash (Evergreen Cemetery Woods, Hall School Woods, Fore River Sanctuary, most beaches - though there are some seasonal restrictions there). I moved here from Brooklyn, NY and I also find that people are generally more dog-savvy here. My dog is leash reactive and in Portland I find that other dog owners immediately get it when I cross the street and put her in a sit as they pass. In Brooklyn, and in LA when I lived there, half the time some idiot would bring their dog over saying 'my dog is friendly!', and then when all hell would break loose they'd be deeply offended that my dog didn't like their dog.

Coming from NYC my perspective on the homeless issue may be skewed, but in Portland it seems to be mostly confined to the Bayside area, though you do see a lot of sad people begging at intersections. But I have never once felt unsafe and the City does seem to be taking some positive steps to address it. But until the opioid epidemic is addressed on a larger scale, managing the situation is about all they can do.

My experiences with Maine Med have been limited, but good as far as they go.

All in all I find Portland a very nice place to live. It's got city amenities with a small town feel, people are friendly, getting around is pretty easy and from my perspective, it's very affordable. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area