Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:52 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,121,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
You clearly haven’t spent much time in Maine in the summer.

Don't tell me Maine natives have lied to me!

This was on the coast. I was told that there is always a breeze? Maybe not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 08:15 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

10-15 years ago, yeah.

Last couple years though with humidity I’ve been running the AC quite a bit. Last summer seemed pretty bad.

On the flip side, winters seem more moderate.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:19 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

I live on the coast about 1hr south of the Portland presently, not so different, and if anything warmer. If there is a breeze coming from the east "sea breeze", it can be cool, if it comes from the west "land breeze", it can be warm. Average day has a high of about 80 degrees, and we typically get about 2 weeks (14 days) of weather in the 90s sprinkled across the summer in Newburyport. Humidity tends to be high year-round, which makes hot days feel hotter and cold days feel colder.

Of course you'll have optimal indoor comfort with central air - drier air and constant temperatures. But if you have a house with high ceilings, shaded by leafy trees, you don't really need A/C. If the house isn't like that, you can still get away with window A/C in the bedrooms for comfortable sleeping during those hot spells. At least to me, summers are mild in Newburyport, but we do get some hot weather. Nothing like the south of even the mid-Atlantic for the frequency of hot days.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 08-10-2019 at 04:34 AM..

Old 08-10-2019, 04:06 PM

56 posts, read 77,843 times
I moved to Portland from Chicago. This is my second summer here, and I have a slightly different perspective. It seems that we’ve needed to use A/C about 10 days a year. Beyond that, summers have been very pleasant. I have been surprised both that humidity isn’t consistently high and that there often is no breeze.

Last edited by Wendy013; 08-10-2019 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Miss-spelling

Old 08-11-2019, 07:54 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy013 View Post
I moved to Portland from Chicago. This is my second summer here, and I have a slightly different perspective. It seems that we’ve needed to use A/C about 10 days a year. Beyond that, summers have been very pleasant. I have been surprised both that humidity isn’t consistently high and that there often is no breeze.
I agree. There is also a dramatic difference in first and second floors.
Many new homes are equipped with mini split heat pumps systems which do both heating and cooling and many older homes are switching over.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:12 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,121,162 times
What about calling the builders in the following article and asking where they have build tiny houses? They would have much more information than any of us on C-D

https://downeast.com/tinyhouses/

These houses are so pretty, it's making me seriously think of doing the same!

Old 08-17-2019, 02:57 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
"Maine has a statewide building code that applies to communities with a population greater than 4000. Look in to MUBEC, Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code.

Basically, it requires you to have a minimum of 480 square feet and indoor plumbing. Due to that regulation, many tiny homes, pre-fab cabin kits or Amish built structures do not meet the code requirements for a permanent year-round dwelling."

This is partially correct and partially superstition. Westbrook is right near South Portland. Westbrook has approved a plan for TEN tiny houses on ONE acre. There will be parking for two cars on each lot. The acre is already served with city sewer, city water and utilities.

There is a housing shortage in the Greater Portland area. It is hard for the hospitals and businesses to attract good employees. They are going to adapt. They have no choice. Talk to more than one person before making a decision to buy. Some towns have severe restrictions about what you can do and restrictions developed by a neighborhood that could be legitimately challenged by a developer. Some such rules" are not rules at all. They are just bad habits and totally imaginary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area